Clicking noise from PSU?

Sadistic_Potato

I have the EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W (I know it's bad but in Dubai it's that, the RM650 or a G2 1300W/HX1000i) and it makes this feint static/clicking noise for 10 minutes after the PC wakes up/turns on. The noise becomes inaudible after that.

Think it's coil whine, but should I return it to the store I bought it from and just get a really overkill PSU? The noise does disappear after a little while so there's no big deal there. PC doesn't have any other issues. Thanks.

Hardware:

32GB of RAM

NH-D15

MSI X99S SLI PLUS

GALAX GTX 960

BX100 500GB + 1TB WD Blue

EVGA SuperNOVA NEX650W

H440

PB278Q

EDIT: No, the noise doesn't go away. It comes and goes. Time intervals aren't 10 min; they seem to be random. Nothing to do with CPU load. AIDA64 stress test on all components except disk doesn't affect the whine. 

PS: This is an animation/rendering rig, hence the 960. Not for gaming in any way. I could've passed off with a 750 Ti but whatever

My build: tis be ordered

Can you look at the psu to see if there are any cables ( eg the fan cable ) in the way of the fan ?

BTW nice pc :D ( but a 960 ? lol )

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

It's likely that the fan is hitting some cable, or dirt/dust or something.

Is the clicking an electrical click? Like when you get a static discharge when you touch something? Because then you should probably get a new PSU...

960? Wat?

Also, the NEX has a few issues, and is known for the electric clicking sounds.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

It's likely that the fan is hitting some cable, or dirt/dust or something.

Is the clicking an electrical click? Like when you get a static discharge when you touch something? Because then you should probably get a new PSU...

Can you look at the psu to see if there are any cables ( eg the fan cable ) in the way of the fan ?

BTW nice pc :D ( but a 960 ? lol )

960? Wat?

Also, the NEX has a few issues, and is known for the electric clicking sounds.

No cable interference as far as I can see. The sound is kind of staticky, almost like a rattling sound. Think it could be one of the capacitors. The sound is most prominent after boot, and the sounds that come after aren't quite as noticeable. 

Suffokation, so it's known for this sound? I personally will go mad if it continues so should I just go complete overkill on the PSU and get something ridiculous? 

No cable interference as far as I can see. The sound is kind of staticky, almost like a rattling sound. Think it could be one of the capacitors. The sound is most prominent after boot, and the sounds that come after aren't quite as noticeable. 

Suffokation, so it's known for this sound? I personally will go mad if it continues so should I just go complete overkill on the PSU and get something ridiculous? 

So is it like a sszzTTTT ? ( not very descriptive I know xD )

so like a small faint sound, then a sidden buzz, then a small faint sound building up to a bzz. ( horrible description, but I've seen psu's with this before )

Sounds like the caps, I would return it if it irritates you.

So is it like a sszzTTTT ? ( not very descriptive I know xD )

so like a small faint sound, then a sidden buzz, then a small faint sound building up to a bzz. ( horrible description, but I've seen psu's with this before )

Sounds like the caps, I would return it if it irritates you.

You actually nailed it on the head. The first few seconds it's a buzz, then it's like a TTTTT rattling sound. I can hear some small pops as well.

It's annoying the hell out of me. I knew that this is a mediocre PSU so shame on me for just cheaping out...HX1000i it is...

You actually nailed it on the head. The first few seconds it's a buzz, then it's like a TTTTT rattling sound. I can hear some small pops as well.

It's annoying the hell out of me. I knew that this is a mediocre PSU so shame on me for just cheaping out...HX1000i it is...

might want to contact corsair support. Popping is not a good sound in a psu. Can you hear it outside your case? If so, i would hold off using it just in case a cap does pop,its really loud.

No, do not go for a ridiculously overkill power supply. Here are some good recommendations:

Power Supply: SeaSonic 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($98.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: N/A
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-26 07:38 EDT-0400

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

Please, please, please do not get a HX1000i. You don't need it. There is cheaping out, and then there is being silly with money.

Please, please, please do not get a HX1000i. You don't need it. There is cheaping out, and then there is being silly with money.

Look, I know. I tried sourcing a GS650 (Tier 2, very nice) but Dubai doesn't have it. 

There is one major PC parts store here, and from them you can get mine or a RM650. Or, you can also get a 1300W G2/HX1000i. Lowest you can go is a HX850i, but they didn't have that in stock the last time I went. I know I don't need any of that crap but they don't sell Antec, Seasonic, or any other decent EVGA PSU for that matter. It sucks.

So what can I do. Can't cheap out so I'll just have to burn that money :(

might want to contact corsair support. Popping is not a good sound in a psu. Can you hear it outside your case? If so, i would hold off using it just in case a cap does pop,its really loud.

I have a SuperNOVA NEX 650W. HX1000i is my other option in Dubai. 1300W G2 is even more ridiculous. 

Take it out and return it.

If anything, the cap is either poped, or about to pop.

I have a SuperNOVA NEX 650W. HX1000i is my other option in Dubai. 1300W G2 is even more ridiculous.

whoops either rma. They will send another. If shipping is crazy just buy another, im just thinking buying one of those is like buying 2 cheaper psu's unless this isn't the case. Everyone gets unlucky sometimes.

Take it out and return it.

If anything, the cap is either poped, or about to pop.

I'll return it. Don't want the cap to pop when I'm using it..

I won't buy another one of these. Hopefully they'll have some more reasonable PSUs in stock (A 750 G2?). My friend got the RM650 from them and his works just fine so maybe I'll go for that. HX850i or that.