Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whaler_99

GPU Folding Facts and Fiction - Configuration and Settings

You can have multiple cards in a system, although with the newer work units, the GPUs work together with the CPU, so you'd need to make sure you had enough bandwidth for the communications and a powerful enough CPU

Mining would happen on just the GPUs, and there wouldn't be much communication between the CPU and GPUs, hence why you would have seen mining rigs with 6 GPUs along with something like a G3220 

Hopefully that made sense :)

It did clarify a whole lot :)  Thank you for putting things into perspective. I guess the only limiting factor would be bandwidth as adapting a mining rig using 1x to 16x risers would have seriously nerfed bandwidth with a close to or completely saturated 1x connection <_< . I would be stuck with 4 GPUs on a board that supports 4 way crossfire/ sli 

Posted · Original PosterOP

It did clarify a whole lot :)  Thank you for putting things into perspective. I guess the only limiting factor would be bandwidth as adapting a mining rig using 1x to 16x risers would have seriously nerfed bandwidth with a close to or completely saturated 1x connection <_< . I would be stuck with 4 GPUs on a board that supports 4 way crossfire/ sli 

Check my sig for build logs and info on this exact type of build. Taken into perspective, if the option is to use a 1x to 16x expander to get extra GPU's folding, due it. Yes, it may effect the PPD somewhat, but not on a massive scale.

What brand of GPU's?

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Hello there :P just started folding at milkyway@home ^_^ it officially supports a gtx260 and above and i am using a gtx 285 :P 

I plan in contributing for about 16 hours per day :) until my gpu dies :/ and the weekend will be full 24 hrs :D 

The gpu runs stable at 75 degrees buut there is a small problem some memory chips arent working correctly and so i have underclocked them :( anyways i hope i help enough the team even with this little computational power :P 

I have been planning on running 3 MSI GTX 780s on a board with 4 physical PCI-E x16 slots and just putting in an anniversary Pentium G3258. Should I rethink this plan and go with another CPU to get more cores?

Also, how does the 780 perform in general while folding? My local MicroCenter has 3 of them on open box deals for $215 a piece.

"The doctors X-rayed my head and found nothing."  - Dizzy Dean

i7-4770K, ASUS Z87 Gryphon, EVGA GTX 780 Ti, 16 GB Kingston Fury RAM, Crucial M500 240 GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Seasonic 760W PSU, Asus BD, Phanteks Evlolv mATX (Gunmetal).

I have been planning on running 3 MSI GTX 780s on a board with 4 physical PCI-E x16 slots and just putting in an anniversary Pentium G3258. Should I rethink this plan and go with another CPU to get more cores?

Also, how does the 780 perform in general while folding? My local MicroCenter has 3 of them on open box deals for $215 a piece.

Being Nvidia, it's advisable at least 1 thread (physical or logical) per GPU. So you'd be better off getting an i3.

Also, make sure your mobo can actually use the 3 PCIe slots at once. Most likely yes, but there's a small chance that you can't - make sure that isn't the case.

For the 780, yeah, it does okay at folding. But watch out for PSU and power consumption.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Beginning to think that my OC is not stable. No matter whether I run my GPU or not with my CPU folding, it seems (though I have essentially raised my LLC to its highest levels, and enabled all kinds of current capacities (130% etc), that I will BSOD after a certain length of time when CPU folding...either with the client or with Nacl

GPU-only, i'm gold. Been getting great returns using Zotac 780 AMP! edition factory OC (1110GHz) I will always recommend GPU-only folding if you've both, got a dedicated graphics card AND a severely OC'd CPU, which is otherwise stable during gameplay sessions.

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought. - Pope John Paul II
With that said, today on LTT, we'll be showing you how to overclock your very own 
Intel rig to Freedom.75 GHz!

Who here has better folding temps than me? my 275W TDP 390x reaches 40 degrees while folding and it runs silent.

Pretty good for a room with an ambient temp of 30 degrees.

And thanks Whaler of the 99, I think this thread should help clear some confusion.

Who here has better folding temps than me? my 275W TDP 390x reaches 40 degrees while folding and it runs silent.

Pretty good for a room with an ambient temp of 30 degrees.

And thanks Whaler of the 99, I think this thread should help clear some confusion.

With those stupidly low temps, I'm pretty sure your card is not being properly used, for some reason. Even if it was watercooled, this is just WAY too low.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

With those stupidly low temps, I'm pretty sure your card is not being properly used, for some reason. Even if it was watercooled, this is just WAY too low.

I have a 240mm radiator AND 360mm radiator JUST for the one card

Just skimming the comments in this thread I didn't notice any related to APU's. Does anyone have any configuration tips for APU's?

I have an A10-5800k running 24/7 that has achieved 3000 ppd once, but, usually only gets 800-900 ppd. I was hoping to find some configuration help to bump the performance up. Anyone?

The computer isn't the "Thing".....the computer is the "Thing" that gets you to the "Thing".  - excerpt from "Halt and Catch Fire".

Both my 780's run at about 42C for me, under water. New project in works, to try and get that down even more. ;)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Just skimming the comments in this thread I didn't notice any related to APU's. Does anyone have any configuration tips for APU's?

I have an A10-5800k running 24/7 that has achieved 3000 ppd once, but, usually only gets 800-900 ppd. I was hoping to find some configuration help to bump the performance up. Anyone?

Most APU's are not supported with GPU folding, so they don't get much attention. If you think you are having issue, start a new thread detailing.... all the details. :)

Hilariously, I can't fold using a Quadro K620; it says unsupported card, even though it has CUDA and OpenGL Acceleration. :P

That card should be supported. Please start a new thread so we can look into it in more detail.

Does the amount of ram you have affect multi gpu folding?

Folding hardly uses any ram. The various CPU based core processes created by GPU folding can use anywhere from 50MB to 175MB of memory. Basically if your systems has 4GB+ of ram, you are fine.

Supported GPUs

There is a file, called the GPU White-list, that contains a listing of all supported GPUs. This does NOT mean that because your GPU is in there, it is supported. This list is updated with new cards but never has old cards removed.

As per the Folding Forum, the somewhat official information source, here are the currently supported cards:

Officially Supported GPUs

AMD -> HD 5000 Series or higher

Nvidia -> GTX 400 Series (Fermi) or higher

That was from 2013. I think the minimum's supported have now gone up, but I am not positive. 

Also the equivalent Quadro, FireGL and such cards are also supported.

The dedicated GPU compute cards, NVidia Tesla, Intel Phy and others, are not supported.

For some reason, i can't fold with my GPU, it says that FahCore_18.exe stopped working, and doesn't fold with it. My GPU(GTX 770) is in the GPUs.txt, but it doesn't work. Do you have any idea why?

For some reason, i can't fold with my GPU, it says that FahCore_18.exe stopped working, and doesn't fold with it. My GPU(GTX 770) is in the GPUs.txt, but it doesn't work. Do you have any idea why?

Please start a new post in regards to your issue so everyone can trouble shoot. Also make sure you post your stats and screen shots of the ap. Have you tried simply uninstalling and reinstalling?

Please start a new post in regards to your issue so everyone can trouble shoot. Also make sure you post your stats and screen shots of the ap. Have you tried simply uninstalling and reinstalling?

Yup.

Added some updated info to the main post. :)

Why do they drop support on the GPUs instead of making them only receive core 16/17 projects instead?

Spoiler

Remember to quote me or tag me to get my attention in a post!

Spoiler

Yukuru (Main rig): R5 2400G | Noctua L9a | VTX R9 Nano 4GB | 2x8GB G-Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2800 (@2400MHz) | ASRock A300M-STX | 128GB Plextor M6s + 2TB Seagate FireCuda 2TB 5400RPM SSHD | Delta 120W Power brick (Thanks @iamdarkyoshi) | Custom Case (Build log| MSX

Spoiler

Blast From the Past (Disassembled and decommissioned as of the 7th of December, 2016, you will be missed): Asus A8Js | C2D T7200 @ 2GHz | Nvidia Go 7700 512MB DDR2 | 2x1GB DDR2-667 Kingston RAM | Hitachi TravelStar 5K160 160GB 5400 HDD | Win7 Pro

Spoiler

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13.3 inch late 2013 model i7-4558U (2C/4T @ 3.3GHz Turbo) Intel Iris 5100 graphics (1200MHz boosts) 8GB DDR3-1600 Soldered on 2560 x 1600 display (Looks very nice) Win7 Pro

Spoiler

Box (Brother's Rig): R5 1500X | Stock AMD Cooler | ASRock B450 Pro4 | Asus HD 7970 3GB Matrix Platinum | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 | Crucial BX200 240GB | Aerocool Strike-X 500W | Win7 Home Premium

Spoiler

Spiky Box (Sister's Rig): G3258 | Cooler Master Seidon 120V V2 | Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | Sapphire R9 290X 4GB Vapor-X | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair CX600 | Aerocool Xpredator X3 Red/Gold edition (My old case) | MSX 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Whitelist | PSU Tier List F@H stats | Mining Ethereum

Why do they drop support on the GPUs instead of making them only receive core 16/17 projects instead?

Probably to push bigger work loads at once to get them done faster. Did they just drop support on more GPUs?

I've only used air cooling, my old signature was a lie ❤️

Probably to push bigger work loads at once to get them done faster. Did they just drop support on more GPUs?

-snips-

Looks like they has been tweaked a bit, nothing official, but looks like these are now the minimum needed to get most WU's completed:

AMD -> 6000 series or higher

NVidia -> GTX 620 or higher

:c

Spoiler

Remember to quote me or tag me to get my attention in a post!

Spoiler

Yukuru (Main rig): R5 2400G | Noctua L9a | VTX R9 Nano 4GB | 2x8GB G-Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2800 (@2400MHz) | ASRock A300M-STX | 128GB Plextor M6s + 2TB Seagate FireCuda 2TB 5400RPM SSHD | Delta 120W Power brick (Thanks @iamdarkyoshi) | Custom Case (Build log| MSX

Spoiler

Blast From the Past (Disassembled and decommissioned as of the 7th of December, 2016, you will be missed): Asus A8Js | C2D T7200 @ 2GHz | Nvidia Go 7700 512MB DDR2 | 2x1GB DDR2-667 Kingston RAM | Hitachi TravelStar 5K160 160GB 5400 HDD | Win7 Pro

Spoiler

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13.3 inch late 2013 model i7-4558U (2C/4T @ 3.3GHz Turbo) Intel Iris 5100 graphics (1200MHz boosts) 8GB DDR3-1600 Soldered on 2560 x 1600 display (Looks very nice) Win7 Pro

Spoiler

Box (Brother's Rig): R5 1500X | Stock AMD Cooler | ASRock B450 Pro4 | Asus HD 7970 3GB Matrix Platinum | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 | Crucial BX200 240GB | Aerocool Strike-X 500W | Win7 Home Premium

Spoiler

Spiky Box (Sister's Rig): G3258 | Cooler Master Seidon 120V V2 | Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | Sapphire R9 290X 4GB Vapor-X | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair CX600 | Aerocool Xpredator X3 Red/Gold edition (My old case) | MSX 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Whitelist | PSU Tier List F@H stats | Mining Ethereum

I'm debating on starting next week or next month.  It mostly has to do with the PCI lanes on the mobo I have now.  It says in the op that x1 to x16 risers can be slowed down depending on assigned work, and this month I will be using a riser as Otaku Dragon only has the stock board from that crappy compaq I modded.  The card is a sapphire R9 270x the 4gb oc one.  However, next month it will have 2 x16 lanes when I get a newer mobo.

Bloodshed and the Fenris-Wolf:

| CPU:  Ryzen 3 2200g(buying a 3900x in August for it) | CPU Cooler:  Stock at the moment(have a dark rock pro 4 for that 3900x) | Paste:  Kryonaut | Motherboard:  ASRock x470 Taichi(replacing with a Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite) | RAM:  G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 48 GB (2 x 16 GB + 2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 | Boot Drives:  Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280+Crucial BX500 120 GB 2.5" SSD | Storage Drives:  Toshiba X300 4 TB 128 MB Cache 3.5" HDD+PNY CS900 240 GB | GPU:  Sapphire Radeon VII 16 GB HBM2 Video Card | Case:  Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB | PSU:  EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply w/CableMod E-Series Cable Kit (Black/Red) | Case Fans:  2 Corsair SP140 49.49 CFM 140 mm Fans | Displays:  AOC U2879VF 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz Monitor (Replacing with an LG 4k IPS display for game art)+AOC G2460PQU 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor | Mouse:  Corsair M65 Pro RGB | Keyboard:  Ducky Shine 7 Blackout - MK Exclusive First Release - RGB LED Double Shot PBT Mechanical Keyboard with Silent Red Switches | Mousepad:  Gaya Entertainment Oversized Gaming Mousepad Doom | Audio:  Massdrop x AKG K7XX Audiophile Open-back Headphones+Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone+Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset+iBasso IT01 Dynamic Driver Audiophile In-Ear Monitors/Earbuds (Black)+Pair of Mackie MR624s(came with stands+isolation pads) | OSes:  Windows 10 Pro+openSUSE Tumbleweed |

VashTheStampede(ROG Zephyrus M GU502):

| CPU:  i7-9750h | RAM:  32GB Dual Channel 2666mhz CL 19(Stock+Samsung 16GB DDR4 PC4-21300, 2666MHZ, 260 PIN SODIMM, 1.2V, CL 19 ) | Storage:  1TB SSD with Optane | GPU:  Nvidia RTX 2060 | Display:  144hz 3ms | Mouse:  Corsair M65 Pro |