GTX 980 Ti occationally gets stuck at idle clock speed

T1GERTEA
Go to solution Solved by sgloux3470,

I have this problem where my gpu gets stuck at like 405mhz or 594mhz even on full load. The only way to resolve this problem is my rebooting. I've looked around and people have said use prefer maximum performance, that hasn't helped and some said its because of an unstable overclock, but atm i'm 1340/1853 stable playing for hours or even running unigine heaven for an hour or two. It just goes to this clock speed out of nowhere when in in my desktop. Is it one of my programs triggering this? or is a driver issue?

It's a stability issue.

Your overclock isn't perfectly stable.  Just back off on it slightly.

I have this problem where my gpu gets stuck at like 405mhz or 594mhz even on full load. The only way to resolve this problem is my rebooting. I've looked around and people have said use prefer maximum performance, that hasn't helped and some said its because of an unstable overclock, but atm i'm 1340/1853 stable playing for hours or even running unigine heaven for an hour or two. It just goes to this clock speed out of nowhere when in in my desktop. Is it one of my programs triggering this? or is a driver issue?

I guess its a driver issue. 

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

It could be a driver crash. That's what happened with my GTX 970 whenever an overclock failed for me, it'd get stuck on ~400 MHz.

Uhm, what are you referring by with "full load" what application. 

Also, are you running the 980TI in that system of yours or a different one. Because with a 8350 i can imagine some lower clocks.

Uhm, what are you referring by with "full load" what application. 

Also, are you running the 980TI in that system of yours or a different one. Because with a 8350 i can imagine some lower clocks.

when i goes down to 405mhz, i tried to "coax" it out by running unigine heaven, but it just stays at the same 405 under load until i reboot.

It could be a driver crash. That's what happened with my GTX 970 whenever an overclock failed for me, it'd get stuck on ~400 MHz

idk because it never tells me that my driver has crashed or does anything weird.

idk because it never tells me that my driver has crashed or does anything weird.

It just flickered slightly for me as it happened, but for less than a second. Noticed poor performance while gaming and Folding. 

so if it goes to 405mhz and i shut off my computer, it remains at 405, but if i restart it, it'll undo my overclock and it'll all be normal again. I also noticed if i turn on Kboost in precision and turn it back off, it fixes the problem, but I always to re-enable my overclock. Is my oc bad? because i don't know because it runs perfectly stable all day until it just randomly gets stuck at 405. Normally on idle its at 1101/1851 and 1450/1851 in a game or something.

It just flickered slightly for me as it happened, but for less than a second. Noticed poor performance while gaming and Folding. 

yeah mine doesn't flicker or do anything at all, i just notice that on gpu z or on precision, its at 405mhz

I have this problem where my gpu gets stuck at like 405mhz or 594mhz even on full load. The only way to resolve this problem is my rebooting. I've looked around and people have said use prefer maximum performance, that hasn't helped and some said its because of an unstable overclock, but atm i'm 1340/1853 stable playing for hours or even running unigine heaven for an hour or two. It just goes to this clock speed out of nowhere when in in my desktop. Is it one of my programs triggering this? or is a driver issue?

Then are you sure it isn't because of idling? Desktop isn't precisely a heavy load...

This is a signature.

It's a stability issue.

Your overclock isn't perfectly stable.  Just back off on it slightly.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

I've had this happen with my 980 a couple times before, as you said, TC, a reboot fixed the issue.

Do you use MSI Afterburner and had you changed any settings?

I'm not 100% sure but I want to say each time I noticed it I had fiddled with something in MSI Afterburner beforehand.

I'm not 100% sure it was MSI Afterburner doing it as I have updated both the drivers and MSI Afterburner since and have not had the issue happen again for a long time.

I've had this happen with my 980 a couple times before, as you said, TC, a reboot fixed the issue.

Do you use MSI Afterburner and had you changed any settings?

I'm not 100% sure but I want to say each time I noticed it I had fiddled with something in MSI Afterburner beforehand.

I'm not 100% sure it was MSI Afterburner doing it as I have updated both the drivers and MSI Afterburner since and have not had the issue happen again for a long time.

i use evga precision and i cant check if its driver because 353.06 is the only driver for the 980 ti

Ok, Yeah i think you might be right, because I've tried different voltages, lower clocks and it still happens on occasion, but for once, I noticed a very very slight flicker when it happened. But we'll see if a new driver in the future will help, for now I'm stuck with 353.06

happens to my 780 when i push it too hard... the cause is unstable OC and because of that driver crash and Mhz lock

i7 4770K 4.7 Ghz (1.285vCore, CORSAIR H110) - GIGABYTE G1 SNIPER M5 - MSI GTX 780 (Arctic Hybrid watercooled)- G.SKILL 16gb 2133Mhz cl9 - SAMSUNG 840 PRO 256gb - CORSAIR 350D - CORSAIR RM 750W

LENOVO Y500 i7 3630qm 3.4 Ghz, GTX 650M SLI, 8gb 1600Mhz, WD 1tb, Cooler Master U2

BUILD LOG: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/26468-finished-350d-mini-gigabyte-killer-blackgreen/

happens to my 780 when i push it too hard... the cause is unstable OC and because of that driver crash and Mhz lock

When my driver crashes, it usually tells you with it pop-up saying that the driver has crashed right? because mine doesn't do that anymore, but with my old 970, it would black screen and then tell me the driver has stopped and recovered but like i said earlier, now it just gets stuck at 405 when i'm on my desktop browsing chrome or something. 

When my driver crashes, it usually tells you with it pop-up saying that the driver has crashed right? because mine doesn't do that anymore, but with my old 970, it would black screen and then tell me the driver has stopped and recovered but like i said earlier, now it just gets stuck at 405 when i'm on my desktop browsing chrome or something. 

maybe a strange thing but i figured out if i push my card +200 it crashed with popup, but when +185 it crashed without popup... strange i know... in both cases card held 570mhz on core after and afterburner settings had no effect until i rebooted... now when i raised my core voltage it is stable at +190...

so i suggest you try lowering the oc if you have 1340 with boost try lowering it so it reaches 1300 and lower your memory to stock... and see what happens...

Update:

does it also happen if you run your card with absolutely no oc (maybe just manual fan control) ?

i7 4770K 4.7 Ghz (1.285vCore, CORSAIR H110) - GIGABYTE G1 SNIPER M5 - MSI GTX 780 (Arctic Hybrid watercooled)- G.SKILL 16gb 2133Mhz cl9 - SAMSUNG 840 PRO 256gb - CORSAIR 350D - CORSAIR RM 750W

LENOVO Y500 i7 3630qm 3.4 Ghz, GTX 650M SLI, 8gb 1600Mhz, WD 1tb, Cooler Master U2

BUILD LOG: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/26468-finished-350d-mini-gigabyte-killer-blackgreen/

maybe a strange thing but i figured out if i push my card +200 it crashed with popup, but when +185 it crashed without popup... strange i know... in both cases card held 570mhz on core after and afterburner settings had no effect until i rebooted... now when i raised my core voltage it is stable at +190...

so i suggest you try lowering the oc if you have 1340 with boost try lowering it so it reaches 1300 and lower your memory to stock... and see what happens...

Update:

does it also happen if you run your card with absolutely no oc (maybe just manual fan control) ?

I'll see if its stable at stock when i get home but that might me for about a week, I'll inform you if its fine at stock clocks.

Update:

If i want to keep my oc, do u think i should try adding more voltage? because on my 1340/1850 oc, im running like +24mv

If i want to keep my oc, do u think i should try adding more voltage? because on my 1340/1850 oc, im running like +24mv

you can always try adding a bit more voltage as long as temps are fine and if you run stock vbios you cant do no harm with it anyway, but mainly the gpu must be stable at stock settings...

you can always try adding a bit more voltage as long as temps are fine and if you run stock vbios you cant do no harm with it anyway, but mainly the gpu must be stable at stock settings...

yeah, it must be oc, cause it was fine under stock clocks