Dog ripped off wire copper on hard-drive, possible to still get some files off it?

d4jsp
Go to solution Solved by MG2R,

And this is where the discussion ends.

@d4jsp, all fine and dandy that you have a different view about computer repairs. Discuss those views all you want, we have no issue with that. What we don't allow over here is hostility and name calling.

Locked.

PS:

• “When You Resort To Name Calling, You’ve Lost The Argument” -- Anthony Watts
  • “When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.” -- Socrates

Yup, if you want to spend that much on a new drive - otherwise theres some on eBay for half the price second hand.

The datasheet says that the drive has a single data disk (platter): http://www.hgst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/5AB985BA152021C686256CE800718F09/$file/7K80_DS.pdf

How much does does it cost for them to do it though? That's my main concern. Obviously less because it's only 1 single platter right?

Are local computer shops even competent for this type of repair though? Or would it need to be sent to like drivesafers or whatever.

How much does does it cost for them to do it though? That's my main concern. Obviously less because it's only 1 single platter right?

Are local computer shops even competent for this type of repair though? Or would it need to be sent to like drivesafers or whatever.

they can only do it with single platters, multiple platters are aligned with eachother so unbolting them makes the drive non recoverable.

Typically for a multi-platter drive, they would remove the head & board and replace those - but single platters you can do it the other way around.

It's not expensive for them to do, can be done in like 10 minutes - cost is dependant on what they charge I guess. I'm not from/in the US, so I don't know what your local shops can/cant do.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

they can only do it with single platters, multiple platters are aligned with eachother so unbolting them makes the drive non recoverable.

Typically for a multi-platter drive, they would remove the head & board and replace those - but single platters you can do it the other way around.

It's not expensive for them to do, can be done in like 10 minutes - cost is dependant on what they charge I guess. I'm not from/in the US, so I don't know what your local shops can/cant do.

So basically. Buy a brand new or cheap same exact model drive. Call up a local shop, ask to transfer the single platter over to the new hard drive and then ask how much? Find the shop that does it for the lowest price, and boom, done?

Is it really that simple? There has to be a catch ~

Why didn't I think of this before.... Glad you're here!!

Edit: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Creative+Computer+Sales+Inc/@47.1232748,-122.2924613,17z/data=!4m5!1m2!2m1!1scomputer+shop+repair!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0xc649b539b8c6ca44

Called them up! I talked to 'Don' for about 15 minutes, guy is very nice. Said he'll give it a shot. I just need to buy the old hard drive same model. I'll try ebay / other sites, thank you Jarsky!!

Do you stil have the ribbon cable that's thrown away in the bin. Getting the same exact model won't work. You'll also have to make sure it's running on the same firmware.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Do you stil have the ribbon cable that's thrown away in the bin. Getting the same exact model won't work. You'll also have to make sure it's running on the same firmware.

Nope, that ribbon cable was eaten to pieces by my dog.

I have the EXACT same model as HDS728080PLA380

And HDS728080PLA380 is for sell from Hitachi here http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-HDS728080PLA380-Deskstar-3-5-inch-Drive/dp/B000WYT0PU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1434142161&sr=1-1&keywords=HDS728080PLA380

It should work if the platters / PCB get transferred?

Nope, that ribbon cable was eaten to pieces my dog.

I have the EXACT same model as HDS728080PLA380

And HDS728080PLA380 is for sell from Hitachi here http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-HDS728080PLA380-Deskstar-3-5-inch-Drive/dp/B000WYT0PU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1434142161&sr=1-1&keywords=HDS728080PLA380

It should work if the platters / PCB get transferred?

Well if your data are really important then give it a shot and see how it goes.  But you'll have a better chance of recovering that file, from the HDD you've formatted. Run a recovery software and see if you can recover that one file back, that way it's $34 buck saved.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Well if your data are really important then give it a shot and see how it goes.  But you'll have a better chance of recovering that file, from the HDD you've formatted. Run a recovery software and see if you can recover that one file back, that way it's $34 buck saved.

I cannot turn that HDD on though.. lol (The ribbon cable is ripped off) :(

Just bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/141683658206

only 10$ free shipping, amazing deal. Going to bring this to the local shop next week with my old drive and see if he can do the transfer. He said it will be around 35$ which isn't bad?

only 10$ free shipping, amazing deal. Going to bring this to the local shop next week with my old drive and see if he can do the transfer. He said it will be around 35$ which isn't bad?

So the hdd you mentioned, that was accidentally formatted is the same exact drive with the ripped off ribbon cable?

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

So the hdd you mentioned, that was accidentally formatted is the same exact drive with the ripped off ribbon cable?

No no, the hard drive isn't formatted it just has a file on there that I need, but it wont turn on. (dog ripped off the ribbon copper cable), so I tried to solder the missing ribbon cable using thin wire copper but failed miserably..

so now, I bought the same model hard drive, and going to local shop to see if they can xfer the PCB, or platter over. Hopefully it works!! (Estimated delivery : Mon. Jun. 15 - Thu. Jun. 18) - ebay

Where do you live? I'm in Portland, and would try to fix this for you free of charge. Or, I could recommend a couple places as well. The unfortunate fact, is that you shorted out the 4 connections on the logic board, so, you may have fried something. 

I have a drive similar, and unfortunately you are going to be extremely hard pressed to solder the motor control wires back. The wires are very small, and may not have enough left to properly solder. I just violently ripped mine off, to see what happens, and I do see some wire sticking up - but my goodness - theres not much. 

EDIT: looks like you soldered to the drive body on those connections, not just the wires... that is also not good. 

So heres the deal if you try again.

1. Try whicking the solder. None of those 4 pads on the login board should tough eachother at all. You may also try cutting the plastic connector and soldering to the pins - may be easier.

2. Use VERY LITTLE solder. AKA, tin the wires first, and then use that and no more to make the connection. 

3. Use insulated wire - you look to have magnetwire - which is insulated but is generally coated in stuff thats hard to strip off. Solid phone cable wire would work - same as ethernet cable wires. 

Finally, assuming you can solder the motor control wires, you MAY be able to connect a new board up. and use that. I have done that myself a couple of times. But, IMO, its probably not worth it to buy the drive unless you know you can solder the control wires. 

As for sending it somewhere - the only local place I'd trust is one that ahs an old coworker of mine working there. And thats because we attempted this stuff way back when. And we both were honest and would tell people when we cant do it. You would not be transferring a platter at all unless they have medical-grade clean rooms. Only the PCB.

then we'd send them here: https://gillware.com/They do esitimates, and do a NO COST evaluation. You send it to them, they see what they can do, and let you know before you pay anything. Most cases - it is $100 or more. This is a pl;ace that can take your platters and read stuff off them without the rest of the drive working at all. 

Source: I've done this a few times. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Where do you live? I'm in Portland, and would try to fix this for you free of charge. Or, I could recommend a couple places as well. The unfortunate fact, is that you shorted out the 4 connections on the logic board, so, you may have fried something. 

I have a drive similar, and unfortunately you are going to be extremely hard pressed to solder the motor control wires back. The wires are very small, and may not have enough left to properly solder. I just violently ripped mine off, to see what happens, and I do see some wire sticking up - but my goodness - theres not much. 

So heres the deal if you try again.

1. Try whicking the solder. None of those 4 pads on the login board should tough eachother at all. You may also try cutting the plastic connector and soldering to the pins - may be easier.

2. Use VERY LITTLE solder. AKA, tin the wires first, and then use that and no more to make the connection. 

3. Use insulated wire - you look to have magnetwire - which is insulated but is generally coated in stuff thats hard to strip off. Solid phone cable wire would work - same as ethernet cable wires. 

Finally, assuming you can solder the motor control wires, you MAY be able to connect a new board up. and use that. I have done that myself a couple of times. But, IMO, its probably not worth it to buy the drive unless you know you can solder the control wires. 

As for sending it somewhere - the only local place I'd trust is one that ahs an old coworker of mine working there. And thats because we attempted this stuff way back when. And we both were honest and would tell people when we cant do it. You would not be transferring a platter at all unless they have medical-grade clean rooms. Only the PCB.

then we'd send them here: https://gillware.com/They do esitimates, and do a NO COST evaluation. You send it to them, they see what they can do, and let you know before you pay anything. Most cases - it is $100 or more. This is a pl;ace that can take your platters and read stuff off them without the rest of the drive working at all. 

Source: I've done this a few times.

Man.. If you only told me about how to solder using thin wire before.. It's too late now. I'm absolutely done messing around with the soldering shit, I failed so bad I don't want to go back to do that. Plus, I'd need to drive back to fuckin home depot for the 4th time just to buy some wicks. Fuck that. I'm done with that soldering shit. Plus, I have downs when it comes to soldering just look at my huge ass solders, I fucked that white socket up big time.

I'm just going to get the new hard drive that I bought, and bring it with me with my old one to that shop and the guy said (on the phone) that he could try to xfer the platter or PCB and get that '1' file off for you for around 35$. That's my only option other then that, I feel like I'm wasting my time and probably could of re-coded half of my gamefunctions.js if I wasn't such a dumbass :P

GOSH DAMNIT. I was just told that the fucking hard drive needs to have the same P/N #?

Mine is: 4079028

And the one that I bought http://www.ebay.com/itm/141683658206is 0A31048

So now even if the platters got transferred it wouldn't work? WOW.

And the guy already shipped it... man fuck this I am wasting my money. I'm so fucking done......

No no, the hard drive isn't formatted it just has a file on there that I need, but it wont turn on. (dog ripped off the ribbon copper cable), so I tried to solder the missing ribbon cable using thin wire copper but failed miserably..

It's only one javascript file. It's my networking and game functions for my web-browser based game written in V8 Javascript within nodejs. (Websockets). About 100+KB, over hundreds of hours worth of coding.  I made backups but lost them, and then accidentally formated an old drive, lost them it was like a perfect chain of events. (then, the dog bites this freaking ribbon cable off lol)...  I do have my main game source code backed up and saved though, just missing this stupid file. 

Where is that old drive you've formatted? If you still have it, then run a recovery data sotware and see if you can recover that file back.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Where is that old drive you've formatted? If you still have it, then run a recovery data sotware and see if you can recover that file back.

When I was driving to college in the back east entrance behind the woods I threw it out the window in a fit of rage. Same for the hard drive that the dog bit the ribbon cable off of. I went back with my dog (to go for a walk) to make it seem less weird, and walked around trying to find the hard drives that I threw in the grass next to the long road and only found this one that I posted. That other 1 is still somewhere in the woods next to the road.. Not going to go back and search for that. Spent 3 hours just to find this one and had people look at me weird and wonder why is this guy searching the grass while walking his dog.... I'm lucky I even found this one. Now I'm fucked because my P/N isn't identical to the same model hard drive that I JUST BOUGHT OFF ebay.... I just don't know what to do.. It just seems like I'm throwing money at a lost cause... pun intended.

10num44.gif

Protip, when in rage don't throw Hdd out car window, throw self out of car window. :P

j/k

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

When I was driving to college in the back east entrance behind the woods I threw it out the window in a fit of rage. Same for the hard drive that the dog bit the ribbon cable off of. I went back with my dog (to go for a walk) to make it seem less weird, and walked around trying to find the hard drives that I threw in the grass next to the long road and only found this one that I posted. That other 1 is still somewhere in the woods next to the road.. Not going to go back and search for that. Spent 3 hours just to find this one and had people look at me weird and wonder why is this guy searching the grass while walking his dog.... I'm lucky I even found this one. Now I'm fucked because my P/N isn't identical to the same model hard drive that I JUST BOUGHT OFF ebay.... I just don't know what to do.. It just seems like I'm throwing money at a lost cause... pun intended.

Good grief really? That drive was done the moment it left your hand. Even if you managed to fix the ribbon cable I'm positive that the drive is damaged and unrecoverable from being thrown. Should have sent it to a professional data recovery company for an evaluation and even then the chance for data recovery was next to zero.

Good grief really? That drive was done the moment it left your hand. Even if you managed to fix the ribbon cable I'm positive that the drive is damaged and unrecoverable from being thrown. Should have sent it to a professional data recovery company for an evaluation and even then the chance for data recovery was next to zero.

It landed in grass and I've thrown that specific one before plenty of times in the house (well, dropped from the top of my dresser on my concrete floor) and it worked still after years. Well, I bought the same model drive for only 10$ off ebay, plus the soldering iron was 27, and the soldering resin core was 4. So it's only about 40$ thus far.. And if the guy can save the platter when transferring it, it will be another 35$, if this all works.. It will be a lot cheaper than mailing it to drivesafers I can tell you that.

Hitachi Drives can manage a lot more wear and tear than you think ^^. You just wait.

It landed in grass and I've thrown that specific one before plenty of times in the house (well, dropped from the top of my dresser on my concrete floor) and it worked still after years. Well, I bought the same model drive for only 10$ off ebay, plus the soldering iron was 27, and the soldering resin core was 4. So it's only about 40$ thus far.. And if the guy can save the platter when transferring it, it will be another 35$, if this all works.. It will be a lot cheaper than mailing it to drivesafers I can tell you that.

Hitachi Drives can manage a lot more wear and tear than you think ^^. You just wait.

Sounds to me that you should take care of your stuff better and you can't be upset if you really are that careless.

Sounds to me that you should take care of your stuff better and you can't be upset if you really are that careless.

Yeah, I do agree. I'm going to be making multiple backups now, even more than I did. And I'm going to setup a cron job on windows to setup a nightly backup of this 1 important folder (my game server files) to be transferred from my SSD to multiple flash drives, and 1 hard drive. (Game server files are only 5 mb in total so it's not much to be written every 24 hours ~ (the code) )

This way, this shit should never, EVER happen to me again

Yeah, I do agree. I'm going to be making multiple backups now, even more than I did. And I'm going to setup a cron job on windows to setup a nightly backup of this 1 important folder (my game server files) to be transferred from my SSD to multiple flash drives, and 1 hard drive. (Game server files are only 5 mb ~ (the code) )

This way, this shit should never, EVER happen to me again

Or look at a service like Carbonite.

Edit to add: Meant to say AND look into a service like Carbonite so if your local backups are damaged, there is an off site backup.

Or look at a service like Carbonite.

Edit to add: Meant to say AND look into a service like Carbonite so if your local backups are damaged, there is an off site backup.

Will do and noted them down. Will mostly likely add that as a back up layer further down the road though. Thanks!

Already.. Huge update!!!

So the new drive arrived.. I went to computer connection (didn't call, just walked in) explained to them that I tried to solder some copper wires on and failed so I bought a new hard drive and asked them if they could please try to transfer the pcb over or the platter. (mind you, the soolder is all over the pcb and the ribbon cable is connected to the PCB AND TO THE MOTOR so it's not possible to do a pcb transfer w/o transferring the motor with it) (old hitatchi drive)

The lady took my drives, and went in the back. Came out and told me 'Our technician said we can try to use the ribbon cable on the new hard drive and try to transfer it over to see if it starts'. It will only cost 25$ and if it doesn't work, we will not charge you.

I said, aww great yeah np. So now I'm on call waiting, she said she'll give me a call once they're finished so yeah.. not bad :) We'll see what happens!!

Colour me surprised as all hell if this works.

It should. The platters are still in tact fine and the PCB Was working fine before the power ribbon cable was torn off by my dog. I bought the new same model drive on ebay for only 10$ shipped. So it should be a win win.

Hopefully they call today, im anxious !!

only issue I'm worried about is my soldering job pretty much/might have ruined the connectors on the pcb, motor.

Worse case though.. just transfer the single platter to the new drive.. shouldn't be difficult it's just a single platter..

Worse case though.. just transfer the single platter to the new drive.. shouldn't be difficult it's just a single platter..

Well, I'm pretty convinced you'll end up with two dead drives. If not dead, at least without any readable data...

Best of luck, though.