Xbox On a Monitor | HDMI to DisplayPort

Gnrl Kitty

I want to connect an Xbox to my monitor but it doesn't have HDMI.  The DVI port is taken, so all that is left is the DisplayPort and the VGA port.  Do HDMI to DisplayPort adapters work?

edit: google tells me it might not

CPU: i7 6850K RAM: 64GB 3200Mhz Mobo: EVGA Micro2 PSU: EVGA P2 850W GPU: EVGA 1080 Ti FE

Case: Fractal Design Node 804 Cooler: NH-D15S

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GBSandisk Ultra II 960GB

MS offers an official VGA connector.

Link: http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/accessories/xbox-360-vga-hd-av-cable/40681

Edit: I own one and they work great... though I no longer need it I do keep it around just in case.

MOBO - Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0   CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3.5GHz - Corsair H80i   RAM - 2x Corsair Vengence 4GB DDR3 @ 1666 MHz   

GPU - SAPPHIRE 100362-3L Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC  Sound - ASUS Xonar DSX  PSU - Thermaltake SMART M Series SP-850M 850W

MS offers an official VGA connector.

Link: http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/accessories/xbox-360-vga-hd-av-cable/40681

Edit: I own one and they work great... though I no longer need it I do keep it around just in case.

That would make it SD.

CPU: i7 6850K RAM: 64GB 3200Mhz Mobo: EVGA Micro2 PSU: EVGA P2 850W GPU: EVGA 1080 Ti FE

That would make it SD.

No

I think going from HDMI to Displayport is possible, but not with a passive adapter. I'm only going off memory but so don't hold me to that :)

Yes, there are active converters like this.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

To go from Displayport to HDMI is easy with passive adapters, but to go to HDMI to Displayport, you need an active adapter, which usually run about 100 USD. Also, because some adapters were made in mind to take advantage of the 2010 iMac's "Target Display Mode", many of these adapters use MiniDisplayport, but will still work fine when transferred to regular Displayport.

It supports any resolution that your monitor/screen does and it works. If you want to offer something of the HDMI to DP variety please do, but at least post a link to something that will work as I have no idea if the 360 will support or even recognize the device.

MOBO - Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0   CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3.5GHz - Corsair H80i   RAM - 2x Corsair Vengence 4GB DDR3 @ 1666 MHz   

GPU - SAPPHIRE 100362-3L Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC  Sound - ASUS Xonar DSX  PSU - Thermaltake SMART M Series SP-850M 850W

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Gold-Plated-DisplayPort/dp/B004C9P9TM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374160347&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi+to+display+port

I'd get a cable personally. Cable + adapter is fine, just one too many components for my taste. Might need it to be the other way around, because that one goes from Display port out to HDMI in on the monitor.

e: Guess I was wrong. Can't find a cable solution.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Well I'm really confused by what the difference is between active and passive adapters, so I guess I need to go look that up now.

Well I'm really confused by what the difference is between active and passive adapters, so I guess I need to go look that up now.

Active adapter requires an additional power supply to run it. Passive doesn't. Active adapter looks like a painfully expensive solution just for the console.

The solution I use: PC connected to monitor running on VGA using a DVI to VGA adapter. Then using an HDMI to DVI cable for PS3. For the Audio, I'm using an RCA to 3.5mm jack and connected it to the Line-in on my soundcard, then set it to play through speakers. If you have a VGA port available on the monitor, you could do that too. Works fine for me.

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Active adapter requires an additional power supply to run it. Passive doesn't. Active adapter looks like a painfully expensive solution just for the console.

The solution I use: PC connected to monitor running on VGA using a DVI to VGA adapter. Then using an HDMI to DVI cable for PS3. For the Audio, I'm using an RCA to 3.5mm jack and connected it to the Line-in on my soundcard, then set it to play through speakers. If you have a VGA port available on the monitor, you could do that too. Works fine for me.

This is my setup:

Monitor 1

DVI: PC

Monitor 2 (middle)

DisplayPort: PC

Monitor 3

DVI: PC

I want to connect a PS3 to Monitor 1 with DisplayPort and an Xbox to Monitor 3 with DisplayPort.  So based on what I just looked up, I don't think I need an active adapter for a console ever.

I want to connect an Xbox to my monitor but it doesn't have HDMI.  The DVI port is taken, so all that is left is the DisplayPort and the VGA port. 

Assuming that's still accurate, yes, you won't need an active adapter.

Monitor 1

DP/VGA: PC

DVI: PS3

Monitor 2

DP/VGA/DVI: PC

Monitor 3

DVI: Xbox.

Not sure about your GPU setup; personally, I'd just bite and use the VGA/DP for PC on all three monitors; I use a DVI to VGA adapter for my computer output and the resolution is fine. DVI to VGA adapters are cheap. For both consoles, get something like this: http://www.amazon.com/DVI-HDMI-Cable-6ft-Male-Male/dp/B0002CZHN6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1374161672&sr=8-3&keywords=hdmi+to+dvi+cable assuming xbox also has HDMI out. Plug HDMI end into both consoles, DVI end into Monitor.

Assuming that's still accurate, yes, you won't need an active adapter.

Monitor 1

DVI: PS3

Monitor 2

DP/VGA/DVI: PC

Monitor 3

DVI: Xbox.

Not sure about your GPU setup; personally, I'd just bite and use the VGA/DP for PC on all three monitors; I use a DVI to VGA adapter for my computer output and the resolution is fine. DVI to VGA adapters are cheap. For both consoles, get something like this: http://www.amazon.com/DVI-HDMI-Cable-6ft-Male-Male/dp/B0002CZHN6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1374161672&sr=8-3&keywords=hdmi+to+dvi+cable assuming xbox also has HDMI out. Plug HDMI end into both consoles, DVI end into Monitor.

Dual 780s lol.  VGA is not a good idea.

Dual 780s lol.  VGA is not a good idea.

Each card has 1 HDMI, 1 DP, 2 DVI. Use the 2 DP's for Monitor 1/3, and use any one of the 4 DVI for the middle monitor which isn't connected to a console, so has DVI available. That leaves both DVI free on Monitor 1/3 for the HDMI to DVI cable.

Should work fine. You'll need DisplayPort cables and the HDMI to DVI I linked above.

Each card has 1 HDMI, 1 DP, 2 DVI. Use the 2 DP's for Monitor 1/3, and use any one of the 4 DVI for the middle monitor which isn't connected to a console, so has DVI available. That leaves both DVI free on Monitor 1/3 for the HDMI to DVI cable.

Should work fine. You'll need DisplayPort cables and the HDMI to DVI I linked above.

Huh... yeah that will work just fine.  Thanks lol.

Huh... yeah that will work just fine. Thanks lol.

Or does it not... I don't see anything like that on here:

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/how-to-correctly-configure-geforce-gtx-680-surround#3

edit: never mind it is on there