144hz monitor causing max memory clock

hello. i recently just got a 144hz monitor and i noticed whenever i set the refresh rate to 144hz my gpu's memory clock becomes maxed out cause my idle temps to rise from 33c to about 45c doing absolutely nothing graphic intense, just sitting on my desktop. whenever i set it to 120hz and lower the clocks go back down to normal. i googled this and found no solution on old threads. it seems like this is an old problem that never got a fix? is there any solution to this problem? i would like to run 144hz all the time if possible and not having to switch to 144hz when i want to game. thanks  :)

144 just needs faster memory, thats why it upclocks

45C idle temps is fine, you can leave it on all the time

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

144 just needs faster memory, thats why it upclocks

45C idle temps is fine, you can leave it on all the time

thanks for the response. yeah i was definitely gonna leave it, but i totally forgot to mention the other problem im having  :unsure: . sometimes my screen goes completely blank like the screen goes gray with lines going across the screen. sometimes the display comes back after, sometimes it takes a while so i just restart my computer. at 120hz my display seems fine. any idea why this might be happening?

thanks for the response. yeah i was definitely gonna leave it, but i totally forgot to mention the other problem im having  :unsure: . sometimes my screen goes completely blank like the screen goes gray with lines going across the screen. sometimes the display comes back after, sometimes it takes a while so i just restart my computer. at 120hz my display seems fine. any idea why this might be happening?

might be instability

try increasing your voltage and power limit

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

might be instability

try increasing your voltage and power limit

probably. unfortunately my power limit is increased to 20% and my cards voltages are locked, but thats a whole different issue. thanks for the help so far

probably. unfortunately my power limit is increased to 20% and my cards voltages are locked, but thats a whole different issue. thanks for the help so far

then you could try reducing the core or memory clock a little

Spoiler

What card and what cooler (Asus, Gigabyte, etc)?

then you could try reducing the core or memory clock a little

ill give it a shot.

What card and what cooler (Asus, Gigabyte, etc)?

sapphire r9 280x tri-x oc verison

ill give it a shot.

sapphire r9 280x tri-x oc verison

45 degrees is perfectly fine. If you underclock the card, then you will have to do that every time you start and stop gaming. Just keep it as it is, no issue (from what I can tell).

45 degrees is perfectly fine. If you underclock the card, then you will have to do that every time you start and stop gaming. Just keep it as it is, no issue (from what I can tell).

yeah i figured it was no big deal but sometimes my screen goes gray with lines. i overclocked my card to 1100 core/ 1600 mem. gonna lower them a bit and see what happens. or maybe i shud jus take off the overclock?

hello. i recently just got a 144hz monitor and i noticed whenever i set the refresh rate to 144hz my gpu's memory clock becomes maxed out cause my idle temps to rise from 33c to about 45c doing absolutely nothing graphic intense, just sitting on my desktop. whenever i set it to 120hz and lower the clocks go back down to normal. i googled this and found no solution on old threads. it seems like this is an old problem that never got a fix? is there any solution to this problem? i would like to run 144hz all the time if possible and not having to switch to 144hz when i want to game. thanks  :)

144 hz is not a normal refresh rate.  This needs to be mentioned in a sticky because everyone asks about it.

144 hz uses REDUCED vertical blank because normal vertical totals will cause an out of range error.

Video cards will not downclock on idle on reduced vertical blank.

You can test this on a 1080p monitor at 100hz, by creating a custom manual detailed resolution, 1920x1080@100 hz and change the vertical total from 1125 to 1098.

Change the front porch to 24 pixels, 3 lines, and sync width to 32,5 also.

Horizontal total to 2008.

Test it and watch what happens to your video card.

If it still downclocks ,lower the VT even more until you reach the point where you get an out of range error.

See?

Tell manufacturers to make 144 hz a STANDARD refresh rate with STANDARD Timings and this won't happen.  Until then, don't blame the monitor or the drivers.

Then test the new 100 hz you just made.

144 hz is not a normal refresh rate.  This needs to be mentioned in a sticky because everyone asks about it.

144 hz uses REDUCED vertical blank because normal vertical totals will cause an out of range error.

Video cards will not downclock on idle on reduced vertical blank.

You can test this on a 1080p monitor at 100hz, by creating a custom manual detailed resolution, 1920x1080@100 hz and change the vertical total from 1125 to 1098.

Change the front porch to 24 pixels, 3 lines, and sync width to 32,5 also.

Horizontal total to 2008.

Test it and watch what happens to your video card.

If it still downclocks ,lower the VT even more until you reach the point where you get an out of range error.

See?

Tell manufacturers to make 144 hz a STANDARD refresh rate with STANDARD Timings and this won't happen.  Until then, don't blame the monitor or the drivers.

Then test the new 100 hz you just made.

thanks for the input but i have no idea how to do that lol. dont get me wrong im not blaming anyone, i just wanted to see if theres a fix to this.

lol, you can use ToastyX Custom resolution utility to create a custom resolution.  it's really not that hard :)
if you mess up you can always run the RESET-ALL.exe and then the driver restarter (on the same toastyX forum) and revert everything.

And no, there's no fix.  This won't change until monitor standards change (and this won't happen until higher refresh rates like 160 or 180 hz become standard.

But again, you're dealing with a problem inherent to LCD's themselves.

refresh rates were a "leftover" artifact from the days of CRT screens.

LCD's don't really have a refresh rate at all, as LCD's don't refresh.  That's why you don't get flicker at 60 hz.

So this is a bit more....complicated than it seems.