Audeze LCD-2 (Fazor) vs Hifiman HE-560 vs Sennheiser HD 800

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of getting one of the the three headphones mentioned in the title. I currently own a Hifiman HE-500 paired up with an Objective2 and ODAC combo. While I love my HE-500, I'm still curious to know how these headphones sound, especially the LCD-2 in particular. I plan on selling off my HE-500 and buying one of these headphones. 

I listen to a wide range of music genres but the common ones are orchestral, slow-rock, rock and instrumental music. My two favorite bands are GN'R and Linkin Park so I do listen to a lot of music from them. I like a neutral or warm sound signature. My other concern is clarity and detail in the mids and the bass.

How do these headphones compare in terms of clarity and detail, sound signature, sound stage and build quality? Comfort is not a major concern for me as I do not have any comfort issues with my HE-500 (or maybe my M50x made me immune to the HE-500's discomfort).

I'm currently leaning toward the LCD-2 based on the reviews I've read but the HE-560 has a significantly lower price. I heard that the HD 800 is very detailed, which I like but is a little too bright for many people.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

All those listed above are kinda leaned toward hi-end and 'specialized'. Meaning they all have their own distinct sound signature. The more distinct, the more specialized they are, and the less people will agree on the preferences.

For example, I've never tried HE-560, but tried LCD-2 and HD800. I love LCD-2 but indifferent on HD800. HD800 got VERY wide and airy feeling, and crystal clear sound on the high notes. Not very much my type, but I can understand the people who love it. LCD-2 on the other hand, leaned toward warm, dense, and kinda 'intimate' sounds, which I love. They both got very different feels to them. 

I think the akg k812 might give you best of hd800 and lcd2 while it doesn't have the same crazy treble of the hd800 or visceral bass of the lcd 2 its sort of a fuse of the two.

it is slightly behind the hd800 in soundstage and imaging and that is still stunning and it has much more presence in the bass than the hd800 so it's one to consider if you are looking for a headphone in that price.

It's also a lot less picky than the hd800 for an amp so the O2 might even be enough

All those listed above are kinda leaned toward hi-end and 'specialized'. Meaning they all have their own distinct sound signature. The more distinct, the more specialized they are, and the less people will agree on the preferences.

For example, I've never tried HE-560, but tried LCD-2 and HD800. I love LCD-2 but indifferent on HD800. HD800 got VERY wide and airy feeling, and crystal clear sound on the high notes. Not very much my type, but I can understand the people who love it. LCD-2 on the other hand, leaned toward warm, dense, and kinda 'intimate' sounds, which I love. They both got very different feels to them. 

Thanks for the input. I've heard the HD 800 commonly being described as having a lot of  "detail" and "resolution" making it great for imaging. Does that make it better than other headphones in terms of "detail"?

Yes in my opinion it is more detailed than many other headphones but it is also a very thin headphone in my mind so unless you gonna go for a good warm tube amp in my mind they will be to analytical for you.

that is what I loved about the k812 when I tried it last week was that I felt it compromised very lightly in the detail and gave me that push in the bass I want in the hd800 to make it perfect for me if my mdr z7 ever die...

As someone who has owned the He-500, the LCD-2 and the HD800, it's all a matter of personal preference.

Do you want a darker sound with a smaller soundstage? LCD-2, do you want a big soundstage with a bit less bass and more treble? HD800.

Do you want something in the middle? He-560.

I'd prefer owning the LCD-2 and HD800 at the same time, but price to performance of that is pretty crappy compared to the K712's I own now that compete with the HD800's I owned before I got my k712's.   They sound virtually identical and have a bit more bass than the HD800, which I really like.

I think the akg k812 might give you best of hd800 and lcd2 while it doesn't have the same crazy treble of the hd800 or visceral bass of the lcd 2 its sort of a fuse of the two.

it is slightly behind the hd800 in soundstage and imaging and that is still stunning and it has much more presence in the bass than the hd800 so it's one to consider if you are looking for a headphone in that price.

It's also a lot less picky than the hd800 for an amp so the O2 might even be enough

The HD800 is not "amp picky" people like to say that shit because they need a way to justify spending $1500 on a pair of headphones.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Yes in my opinion it is more detailed than many other headphones but it is also a very thin headphone in my mind so unless you gonna go for a good warm tube amp in my mind they will be to analytical for you.

that is what I loved about the k812 when I tried it last week was that I felt it compromised very lightly in the detail and gave me that push in the bass I want in the hd800 to make it perfect for me if my mdr z7 ever die...

Thanks, I will consider the AKG K812 and check the prices.

As someone who has owned the He-500, the LCD-2 and the HD800, it's all a matter of personal preference.

Do you want a darker sound with a smaller soundstage? LCD-2, do you want a big soundstage with a bit less bass and more treble? HD800.

Do you want something in the middle? He-560.

I'd prefer owning the LCD-2 and HD800 at the same time, but price to performance of that is pretty crappy compared to the K712's I own now that compete with the HD800's I owned before I got my k712's.   They sound virtually identical and have a bit more bass than the HD800, which I really like.

The HD800 is not "amp picky" people like to say that shit because they need a way to justify spending $1500 on a pair of headphones.

Any idea how the HE-560 compares to the LCD-2 in terms of detail?

Which is your personal favorite of those headphones that you've owned?

Any idea how the HE-560 compares to the LCD-2 in terms of detail?

Which is your personal favorite of those headphones that you've owned?

My favorite I've ever owned would probably be the HD800, but I loved the LCD-2 A LOT. I just didn't like the weight, it hurt my neck really bad. It weighs nearly 22 ounces.

In terms of detail, a majority of that crap is mumbo jumbo. It's more that certain headphones make certain aspects of music louder, making those "details" more noticable.

I didn't notice any major "detail" differences between my LCD-2 and HD800.

I sold my HD800's awhile back because I needed the $ for other things, and didn't really feel it was worth it.  I bought a pair of AKG K712 which sound almost identical to my old HD800's, for 1/4 the price, and spent the leftover money on upgrades for my setup & PC.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I sold my HD800's awhile back because I needed the $ for other things, and didn't really feel it was worth it. I bought a pair of AKG K712 which sound almost identical to my old HD800's, for 1/4 the price, and spent the leftover money on upgrades for my setup & PC.

I feel the same way about the lcd2 and my Sony mdr z7 I can hear a difference and the lcd2 are better but for half the price i think there's not enough there for me to buy the lcd2.

As everyone has said, incredibly specialized, all 3 are super popular headphone in audio community. Here's what i think:

Neutral, slightly bright, slightly analytical: HD800

Neutral with slight warmth in the bass: HE560

Dark chocolate, thick, rich and full bodied mids, but recessed highs: LCD-2

How do you usually wear your headphone and what kind of listening do you usually do?

You can also take a look at the koss esp950 its electrostatic for a 1000 and for that you also get a dedicated amp which you need for an electrostatic headphone it's supposed to sound really special so it's another one you can look at

As everyone has said, incredibly specialized, all 3 are super popular headphone in audio community. Here's what i think:

Neutral, slightly bright, slightly analytical: HD800

Neutral with slight warmth in the bass: HE560

Dark chocolate, thick, rich and full bodied mids, but recessed highs: LCD-2

How do you usually wear your headphone and what kind of listening do you usually do?

Sorry, I don't quite understand your questions. I just wear my headphones the normal way, I guess.

As for the kind of listening I do, I usually listen to music while using my computer or browsing the web. Either that or I just sit and listen to the music. So casual listening?

You can also take a look at the koss esp950 its electrostatic for a 1000 and for that you also get a dedicated amp which you need for an electrostatic headphone it's supposed to sound really special so it's another one you can look at

Alright, I'll take a look. They're selling on Amazon for $829. They're really nice-looking headphones too! All black with a rugged look.  I'll check out the reviews.

Alright, I'll take a look. They're selling on Amazon for $829. They're really nice-looking headphones too! All black with a rugged look. I'll check out the reviews.

Also they got life time warenty

Electrostats are the fapping material in headphone communities. Bring one to a headphone meet, and people will want to sleep with you. Gender not restricted....

Your HE-500 are the most balanced, the 560 have more detail and slightly more treble with slightly reduced bass. The 800's are very treble focused with very little bass but the most detail by far and the lcd 2s have by far the greatest bass response but it seems to slightly overpower everything else, it is a great very fun headphone.

What's a "detail".

Anyways. Prepare for sidegrade.

A "detail" is where all the different instruments and sounds sound more well defined. Its what you inherently get with brighter headphones.

And yes with high end audio gear its always going to be different signatures or subtle differences in clarity etc rather than a large upgrade.

Electrostats are the fapping material in headphone communities. Bring one to a headphone meet, and people will want to sleep with you. Gender not restricted....

What else do you want out of a headphone ;)

A "detail" is where all the different instruments and sounds sound more well defined. Its what you inherently get with brighter headphones.

And yes with high end audio gear its always going to be different signatures or subtle differences in clarity etc rather than a large upgrade.

I wasn't asking it as a question.

Your HE-500 are the most balanced, the 560 have more detail and slightly more treble with slightly reduced bass. The 800's are very treble focused with very little bass but the most detail by far and the lcd 2s have by far the greatest bass response but it seems to slightly overpower everything else, it is a great very fun headphone.

Have you tried out the LCD-2 before? Tyler from Mayflower Electronics mentioned in one of Tek Syndicate's videos that the LCD-2's mids and bass are slightly elevated and praised the LCD-2 for both their bass and mids. That's the kind of sound signature that I might like.

Have you tried out the LCD-2 before? Tyler from Mayflower Electronics mentioned in one of Tek Syndicate's videos that the LCD-2's mids and bass are slightly elevated and praised the LCD-2 for both their bass and mids. That's the kind of sound signature that I might like.

I have tried them all and yes the bass and mids are elevated but it is a very dark headphone with a small soundstage in my opinion so i found the bass to overpower. It sounds great with certain types of music and i would say is the polar opposite of the hd800.

Well if you are looking for warm headphones the lcd2 are among the best If you are willing to sacrfice some of the bass impact for more detail and spaciousness I think the k812 are sort of that fuse.

LCD-2 sounds like a closed headphone, like i said before, it's a dark chocolate.

I'd say you won't find a true upgrade from HE-500, they're really good for the price. Something like LCD-2 or oppo PM-2 might be a good side-grade for you