Corsair Vengeance K70: Fair purchase price? Ever go on sale?

Go to solution Solved by CapricaBuccaneers,

Unfortunately every K70 we've had has lost multiple LEDs with absolutely no ill treatment, within 3 months of buying one. The exposed nature of the keys seems to make it worse at dealing with electrostatic discharges too.

This doesn't actually stop the key from working at all, so it's more of a cosmetic annoyance than anything since my display setup actually provides enough light in the dark to see what I'm doing if need be.

However with that in mind after the third one went, I couldn't justify the price of it (they were still pretty much full price back then) and opted to head to the source. Bought a Cherry Mx Board 3.0 for less than half the price of the K70 and haven't had any issues with it at all.

Bottom line - decide whether or not you need the backlighting on the keys, and if it's worth the premium. If you do there are other cheaper keyboards out there - the K70 is nice enough to type on and looks great but in the end it's just a marginal difference to another board with Cherry Mx switches and custom keycaps, for more money.

Hi, 

After doing extensive research, I've decided I want to buy the following keyboard:

Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown Switches Backlit Mechanical Gaming Keyboard

http://www.ncix.com/detail/corsair-vengeance-k70-cherry-mx-cb-94946.htm

Questions

(1) Is $149.99 CAD (+ HST) a fair purchase price?

=> Lowest price is at NCIX

=> Note: Don't care about the Sail vs tramp stamp gaming logo

(2) Has anyone ever seen this keyboard go on sale?

=> I haven't in the past 4 months

(3) Is there any new product coming down the pipeline from Corsair that would cause this keyboard's price to drop in the next month?

(4) Should I shell out the extra ~ $50 bucks for the RGB version?

=> Don't need the RGB lighting capability

=> But the RGB LED lights appear to be more reliable (e.g. don't burn out)

Any feedback / advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

$150 CAD is ok... Not the best but ok. I've seen refurbished ones for $100 though. (Corsair does a very good job refurbishing stuff most of the time)

I spent $200 on my RGB K70, and it's great. Not $200 great, but still great.

I've seen it for better at Canada Computes. $129.99. Reds for as low as $119.99. Quite frankly tho, I'd stay away from the K70. For the price it's just too flakey. Bad LEDs, simply dying yadda, yadda, yadda. Looks and feature wise it's a killer kb, but the QC is terrible for the price.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Unfortunately every K70 we've had has lost multiple LEDs with absolutely no ill treatment, within 3 months of buying one. The exposed nature of the keys seems to make it worse at dealing with electrostatic discharges too.

This doesn't actually stop the key from working at all, so it's more of a cosmetic annoyance than anything since my display setup actually provides enough light in the dark to see what I'm doing if need be.

However with that in mind after the third one went, I couldn't justify the price of it (they were still pretty much full price back then) and opted to head to the source. Bought a Cherry Mx Board 3.0 for less than half the price of the K70 and haven't had any issues with it at all.

Bottom line - decide whether or not you need the backlighting on the keys, and if it's worth the premium. If you do there are other cheaper keyboards out there - the K70 is nice enough to type on and looks great but in the end it's just a marginal difference to another board with Cherry Mx switches and custom keycaps, for more money.

I spent 170 on mine, would have spent it on a Das Pro 4 instead. The LED's are very underwhelming considering all the hype they are given. 

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

Thanks @Lolzious @Dimwitted @CapricaBuccaneers @Tonylu1595 your respective feedback is very enlightening.

In summary:

Lowest price $129. (Canada Computers)

Average price $150; but, very pricey given the quality control issues with the LED lighting.

Refurb Corsair quality is very good and set at a reasonable price.

I need to reevaluate my decision based on the legitimate LED concerns.