Help choosing low end GPU for SFF

SpamBrie

Hi guys,

I've recently received 3 Dell Optiplex 960 SFF (Small form factor) pc's. I am setting one up as a media PC and need help adding a graphics card. The PC currently has no graphics card installed and I am running it off the integrated graphics. I want to add a graphics card to play low end games from Steam such as Monaco and Binding of Isaac Rebirth, so nothing very intensive. I also have the problem that the motherboard does not have HDMI so I cannot get sound onto my TV as I am currently using DVI to HDMI adapter. My main issue appears to be the power supply as it is only 235W but it is not upgrade-able as it is a proprietary dell one(but please prove me wrong!). You can get a model of the PC with a graphics card installed (NVIDIA GF 9300) and that has a power draw of 25W so somewhere around there should be okay. Card must be single slot.

Current Specs

Dell Service Tag: 2GFWG4J

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad @3GHz

Memory: 4096MB DDR2 @ 800MHz

Storage: 500GB WD Blue (Going to add an SSD soon!)

Drive: 8x DVD+/- RW

Power Supply: Dell 235W Silver

Dell Support Site

Tech Sheet

My Options

NVIDIA 610

£25.93 + £1.25 + £1.69 = £28.27

NVIDIA recommends 300W power supply

Maximum power draw of 29W

Has an active cooling fan

Cheaper as it is factory refurbished

2GB GDDR3@1000MHz

Core clock@810MHz

A guy I know also has a 610 and it works fine

NVIDIA 720

£34.46

NVIDIA recommends 300W power supply

Maximum draw 23W

Includes LP bracket

Will perform better(I assume)

1GB GDDR3@1600MHz

Core clock@797MHz

OR

£41.66 + £1.25 + £1.69 = £44.60

2GB GDDR3@1800MHz

Rest appears to be the same as above

Naturally I probably have not considered all of my options as I have not even looked at AMD yet but NVIDIA cards appear to be better optimised for power which I need considering the power supply constraints

Any opinions, ideas or alternatives will be greatly welcomed and appreciated. I am happy to add more info about the machine if needed.

EDIT: Games at 720p

Well the 720 is obviously going to be better so i'd go for that one.

Steve

I can see that you're in/around the UK, where are you?

I might be able to ship you an HD 6570. Its TDP seems to be 44w.

Sig under construction.

Well the 720 is obviously going to be better so i'd go for that one.

Do you think the 2gb memory upgrade is worth it for the price keeping in mind that I will only be playing low end games at 720p?

Do you think the 2gb memory upgrade is worth it for the price keeping in mind that I will only be playing low end games at 720p?

Yes

Steve

I can see that you're in/around the UK, where are you?

I might be able to ship you an HD 6570. Its TDP seems to be 44w.

Don't take it personally but I generally don't buy used, I'd rather just buy it new or refurbished in case there are problems(I have had some bad experiences with used in the past). Also I think 44W may be too high unfortunately. Although I just found this: Tom's Hardware

Thoughts?

Don't take it personally but I generally don't buy used, I'd rather just buy it new or refurbished in case there are problems(I have had some bad experiences with used in the past). Also I think 44W may be too high unfortunately. Although I just found this: Tom's Hardware

Thoughts?

Not taken personally. It might be good, but I don't really think of it as having any value. I'd ship it to you as cheaply as I could find and you'd pay me shipping if I were to give it to you.

Sig under construction.

Not taken personally. It might be good, but I don't really think of it as having any value. I'd ship it to you as cheaply as I could find and you'd pay me shipping if I were to give it to you.

Thanks for the generous offer although I think I'll decline. It's probably more hassle than it is worth for the both of us.