Does thermal paste dry out?

The Dragon

Does thermal paste dry out? I right now have a processor sitting in a socket with thermal paste on it and I wanna know if it will dry out quickly or it takes time or if it doesn't dry out at all, Thanks

CPU: some amd thing Motherboard: its black RAM: its memory thats for sure GPU: r7 260x Case: corsair spec 01 Storage: 1tb of it PSU: 430w, so many watts

Display: its asus Cooling: fans Keyboard: logitech g710+ #browns4lyfe Mouse: its a logitech Sound: its what you hear Operating System: winders  

Probably after a while  :)

It seems impossible until it's done.

Decent paste will last years, although I change mine every 2 years to be sure. 

Unless you notice higher temperatures it should be fine. 

@TheDragon

It only takes a few seconds, if you mean how long does it take to set.

It lasts for years, if thats the answer you want.

Thermal paste lasts indefinitely, so it's not a bad idea to re-apply it.

How old is the PC?

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Yes it eventually dries out, though typically it takes at least 5 years for that to happen, and by that time you should have replaced it anyways.

It really just depends on the quality of the thermal paste, a shitty quality paste could last for a few years, whereas a high quality paste could last 6+ years before drying out. (When I say dry out, I mean when it becomes all crusty and hard. like in this picture:)

DSC01924.jpg

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

It only takes a few seconds, if you mean how long does it take to set.

It lasts for years though.

Really!?!?!

CPU: some amd thing Motherboard: its black RAM: its memory thats for sure GPU: r7 260x Case: corsair spec 01 Storage: 1tb of it PSU: 430w, so many watts

Display: its asus Cooling: fans Keyboard: logitech g710+ #browns4lyfe Mouse: its a logitech Sound: its what you hear Operating System: winders  

Thermal paste is lasts indefinitely, so it's not a bad idea to re-apply it.

How old is the PC?

2008 its an inspiron 530

2008 its an inspiron 530

It usually takes a few years, just check and if it's running hot it's usually time to replace it. Some silver based pastes though will take time to cure once applied to reach peak efficiency (~200 hours).

2008 its an inspiron 530

I wouldn't hesitate to at least check if that were my PC. However, I don't recommend you do if you don't have thermal paste to apply. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

It usually takes a few years, just check and if it's running hot it's usually time to replace it. Some silver based pastes though will take time to cure once applied to reach peak efficiency (~200 hours).

I'm not worried about temperature with this computer I'm just taking it apart for fun and putting it back together yet I wanna know if when I put it back together with the thermal paste being exposed to the air for an hour or so will dry it out causing the cpu to overheat

I'm not worried about temperature with this computer I'm just taking it apart for fun and putting it back together yet I wanna know if when I put it back together with the thermal paste being exposed to the air for an hour or so will dry it out causing the cpu to overheat

That's when you re-apply fresh paste, not reuse old stuff.

That's when you re-apply fresh paste, not reuse old stuff.

So its not a good idea to put it back together? I'm not too worried about whether or not the computer will work but it would be good if it does

If you removed the cooler you'll need to reapply new thermal paste and it will tend to dry out over time naturally, but very slowly.

Any time you take the sink of the CPU you should re apply thermal paste (it doesn't matter how long it is exposed to the air, it drying out is not the problem: it will not go EXACTLY back were it was so the transfer properties will not be the same ).  It only takes a minute to do so why not?

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

If you removed the cooler you'll need to reapply new thermal paste and it will tend to dry out over time naturally, but very slowly.

Like need need or its a good idea to apply new paste. 

Like need need or its a good idea to apply new paste. 

At this point mandatory, once a cooler is removed new thermal paste must be applied every time to prevent any air bubbles from getting trapped and making poor contact. I have put coolers back on with previous thermal paste that is fairly new but only temporarily. 

Yes usally after 5 years or more.

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.