Video Editing Workstation Build Log - WD Dream Machine for Good

Why green drive instead of black?

Yeah, the Ultimate Video Editing Workstation Guide from a while back used 4 4TB WD black drives, and a 240GB SSD. I think the intention was to use the black drives for temporary files, the SSD just for OS and program files, and a NAS(?) for "cold" storage of files not being used at the time. With a 512GB SSD and 2 6TB green drives, I guess you could use the SSD for OS, program files and temporary files, and the green drives for storage of raw and edited video files. O.o? I'd expect the green drives to be slower than the black drives, but I can't be sure if that would actually be the performance bottleneck for this machine.

Also, why the 980 video card? I thought performance per dollar was a bit lower for the highest end GPU, so 2 970 video cards might have worked better? (But I suppose there's some pressure to stick to the parts specified in the post by Askan7 wherever possible.)

• 4 months later...

Are the Evo "Pro" series of Samsung SSD necessary compared to the regular? 

CPU i7 4790 - GPU Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce 3x OC - RAM 2x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury - MOBO Asus B85M-E - Case CM Silencio 550 Storage 2x 1TB WD Red - OS Windows 8.1 OEM - Phone OnePlus One 64GB Sandstone Black