Upgrade from HP w1907

richoman

Looking to upgrade from a HP w1907 to a 24" but as usual its a mine field too much choice.

So what would you recommend up to £200, it would be for 50/50 gaming/office work.

My GPU is a GTX660 

HP w1907

I have the exact same monitor. Nice! :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Can you elaborate on the type of office work? like are you just looking at word documents, or do you happen to look at spreadsheets.

If in the case of looking at spreadsheets or you can benefit from having dual monitors, you may want to spend justttt a bit more for that extra real estate.

If not, then I guess you'd stick with 1080p.

As far as which 1080p monitor to buy, I usually go with Dell monitor as their customer service and warranty are superb (I'm in Canada).

My suggestion to you is, if there are too many choices, look at the companies reputation for customer service and the amount of year it has on warranty.

Office work is Word/Excel and surfing the net.

Gaming is fps.

Out of those two, I'd definitely recommend the Dell. one of the biggest reason is because of ergonomics as you have tilt, swivel, and rotation; whereas the asus don't.

Out of those two, I'd definitely recommend the Dell. one of the biggest reason is because of ergonomics as you have tilt, swivel, and rotation; whereas the asus don't.

Is that the only reason to go with the Dell?

Is that the only reason to go with the Dell?

well, no but those are like one of the pluses over the other monitor that you have posted.

Dell comes with IPS screen too so color reproduction looks very nice.

for gaming, i use a 8ms gtg response time, and I don't notice much blurring or ghosting.

well, no but those are like one of the pluses over the other monitor that you have posted.

Dell comes with IPS screen too so color reproduction looks very nice.

for gaming, i use a 8ms gtg response time, and I don't notice much blurring or ghosting.

The Asus is IPS as well.

I've heard that the Dell doesn't go well with Nvidia cards.

Hi,

Go for Dell UltraSharp U2412M which comes around £210.

Is that the one with 16:10, is it a lot better than 16:9

It say according to your amazon link, the resolution of the dell is 1920x1080 which is a 16:9 ratio.

If it was a 16:10, the it would be a 1200p monitor (1920x1200)

I am currently using my dell monitor with a Nvidia card, no issue.

And where did you hear that about that? why would a gpu not go well with a monitor?

It say according to your amazon link, the resolution of the dell is 1920x1080 which is a 16:9 ratio.

If it was a 16:10, the it would be a 1200p monitor (1920x1200)

I am currently using my dell monitor with a Nvidia card, no issue.

And where did you hear that about that? why would a gpu not go well with a monitor?

Is 16:10 better than 16:9?

Which Dell monitor do you have?

The links to the Nvidia card problems, if you google "dell u2414h nvidia problem"

I personally like having more real estate to work with. I program and work with spreadsheets, so it is easier and beneficial for me to have more verticals too (so I don't have to scroll too often).

I use the Dell 2713HM.

Ok, so I just checked the problem that people are having with Nvidia DP and HDMI cables.

Maybe the reason I don't have any issues with the monitor and Nvidia card is because I use DVI cable instead of DP or HDMI.

KkhT4O8.png

I just realized that the new monitors only have DP or HDMI for connection LOL.

Maybe that's why people are complaining they can't see the full range. But from what I understand, it is not the monitor but the GPU itself.

You do what these guys have to do enable the full range (http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=83), and I believe that there are fixes out there for that.

Also, one of the guys commented that they issue has been fixed with the latest Nvidia driver (347.09)

I just realized that the new monitors only have DP or HDMI for connection LOL.

Maybe that's why people are complaining they can't see the full range. But from what I understand, it is not the monitor but the GPU itself.

You do what these guys have to do enable the full range (http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=83), and I believe that there are fixes out there for that.

Also, one of the guys commented that they issue has been fixed with the latest Nvidia driver (347.09)

Thanks for that, I've just noticed that about the connections as well, I do need a vga/dvi for the office pc and run the game pc with hdmi.

You confused me with this.

I do need a vga/dvi for the office pc and run the game pc with hdmi.

Are you saying you want to connect the monitor with VGA/DVI for office and then switch to HDMI for game?

But don't use VGA lol. If i had 3 options between VGA, HDMI, and DVI .. I'd pick DVI because DVI can carry more bandwidth than HDMI if I remember correctly.

Displayport is technically better than all the 3 connections that was listed.

You confused me with this.

Are you saying you want to connect the monitor with VGA/DVI for office and then switch to HDMI for game?

But don't use VGA lol. If i had 3 options between VGA, HDMI, and DVI .. I'd pick DVI because DVI can carry more bandwidth than HDMI if I remember correctly.

Displayport is technically better than all the 3 connections that was listed.

Yes I have 2 pc's 1 for office 1 for gaming and use a KVM switch to move between them.

So I would need a monitor with VGA or DVI for the office pc, and HDMI or DVI for the gaming pc.

why not just connect them to DVI. Linus does a few episode that DVI carries more bandwidth than HDMI the only difference between the 2 is that HDMI carries audio signal as well.

don't use VGA, or you should avoid.

Thanks for your help, you seem to be the only one trying to answer my question on a new monitor, I thought I would get more reply's after 122 views.

I'll try elsewhere to find an answer.

Thanks for your help, you seem to be the only one trying to answer my question on a new monitor, I thought I would get more reply's after 122 views.

I'll try elsewhere to find an answer.

haha, yeah well .. no problem.