ok im going to be buying my first rig all brand new parts with hand picked specs that i like or prefer and have put alot of research into my findings i would just like some input and maybe alittle more knowledge since this will be my first rig.

first off i do have a pretty solid knowledge of pc's not the best but an above average knowledge so i will know most of the terminology and tools or steps or whatever.

anyways

these are the parts and specs i would like this rig to have  

Case: corsair obsidian seris 750D performance full tower 

CPU: intel I7-4790k a.k.a. "devils canyon" overclocked to about 4.5-4.7ish

GPU: nividia gtx 970 asus strix with direct cu 2 or a evga 980 

Motherboard: Msi Z97-G45 lga 1150

Ram: G.skill ripjaws x series 16gb kit (2x8gb)

SSD:kingston hyperX 3k 240gb 

HHD: WD black 2 TB 7200rpm

PSU: corsair profeesional series 860 watt 80+ platinum fully modular

CPU cooler: corsair hydro series h110 280mm extreme performance 

with windows 8.1 pro

total price for all of the above is roughly $1200-$1500

ik the price is a little high but i want to game with decent graphics and rendering quality 

no peripherals now i have a keyboard for now and a mouse but what a ducky shine or other mechanical keyboard and gaming mouse. and will be using my 45 in vizio for now as a monitor 

this is going to be an all around pc from gaming and Photoshop or aftereffects to school projects and research with maybe a little overclocking for fun.

please put your input it will be great appreciated and under consideration if you think i should change anything or use this piece instead of that.  

For what will you be using it?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($218.98 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Enermax ELC-LT240-HP 111.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($105.77 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($197.99 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($104.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card  ($329.00 @ NCIX US) 
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Antec 750W 80+ Platinum Certified ATX Power Supply  ($85.23 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1372.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-08 10:30 EST-0500

For what you'll be using your PC, I doubt that you need an i7

For what will you be using it?

He said it in the post, read carefully before posting please

this is going to be an all around pc from gaming and Photoshop or aftereffects to school projects and research with maybe a little overclocking for fun.

| --- My Stuff --- |

Computer: Apple Late-2008 Macbook Pro ; -Haguro- build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/296613-wip-project-haguro-x99-hackintosh-workstation/|

Mobile Devices: Apple 32GB 1st gen Ipad Mini ; Apple 16GB Iphone 5s ; Apple Ipod Classic 80Gb 5th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 120Gb 6th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 160Gb 7th Gen ; Apple Ipod Nano 16Gb 6th Gen 

If not doing a ton of photo editing and after effects, you could get an i5 4690K (I use one in my rig and do some video editing, photoshop, etc..) to cut down on costs.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

ok im going to be buying my first rig all brand new parts with hand picked specs that i like or prefer and have put alot of research into my findings i would just like some input and maybe alittle more knowledge since this will be my first rig.

first off i do have a pretty solid knowledge of pc's not the best but an above average knowledge so i will know most of the terminology and tools or steps or whatever.

anyways

these are the parts and specs i would like this rig to have  

Case: corsair obsidian seris 750D performance full tower 

CPU: intel I7-4790k a.k.a. "devils canyon" overclocked to about 4.5-4.7ish

GPU: nividia gtx 970 asus strix with direct cu 2 or a evga 980 

Motherboard: Msi Z97-G45 lga 1150

Ram: G.skill ripjaws x series 16gb kit (2x8gb)

SSD:kingston hyperX 3k 240gb 

HHD: WD black 2 TB 7200rpm

PSU: corsair profeesional series 860 watt 80+ platinum fully modular

CPU cooler: corsair hydro series h110 280mm extreme performance 

with windows 8.1 pro

total price for all of the above is roughly $1200-$1500

ik the price is a little high but i want to game with decent graphics and rendering quality 

no peripherals now i have a keyboard for now and a mouse but what a ducky shine or other mechanical keyboard and gaming mouse. and will be using my 45 in vizio for now as a monitor 

please put your input it will be great appreciated and under consideration if you think i should change anything or use this piece instead of that.  

You can save some money by going with a smaller, cheaper PSU like the RM750 also from Corsair

Do you have plan for a case yet?

Otherwise, it seem fine to me, I'll add more info when I see something else, good luck on your build :)

Edit: sorry didnt see the case you picked

| --- My Stuff --- |

Computer: Apple Late-2008 Macbook Pro ; -Haguro- build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/296613-wip-project-haguro-x99-hackintosh-workstation/|

Mobile Devices: Apple 32GB 1st gen Ipad Mini ; Apple 16GB Iphone 5s ; Apple Ipod Classic 80Gb 5th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 120Gb 6th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 160Gb 7th Gen ; Apple Ipod Nano 16Gb 6th Gen 

What kind of dollars are you using?

The psu is overkill. Even for a 970 sli, a good 650w is already plenty.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

i know the psu is a little .....ok a lot of overkill but it does come with a zero decibel fan so it doesnt kick on until i start doing heavy gaming or massive work loads since i dont have any headphones yet ill have to use my tv speakers for now and  i share a room with my brother in law...and the I7 yes i can understand i can get better bang for the buck cpus like the intel pentium anniversary which is unlocked and overclockable up to 4.7 ghz for like $70.00

and was actually considers the anniversary or even the "CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($218.98 @ OutletPC) " 

and i was thinking if i was gonna go and build a new rig build it so when better and faster products come out you will still be up to par and think of what you may be doing  in a year or so... not future proofing in anyway just planning ahead i can always save money to upgrade, may take a bit but ill get there im in no rush i have an xbox to hold me over for now and my girlfriend is going to be using it for photography

i know the psu is a little .....ok a lot of overkill but it does come with a zero decibel fan so it doesnt kick on until i start doing heavy gaming or massive work loads since i dont have any headphones yet ill have to use my tv speakers for now and  i share a room with my brother in law...and the I7 yes i can understand i can get better bang for the buck cpus like the intel pentium anniversary which is unlocked and overclockable up to 4.7 ghz for like $70.00

and was actually considers the anniversary or even the "CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($218.98 @ OutletPC) " 

Most decent psus will have fans quieter than the WD Black. It's not really worth getting a psu that goes fanless unless you're not running any hdd's to begin with. 

So, you're shopping in the US? 

What kind of school projects are you working on?

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Most decent psus will have fans quieter than the WD Black. It's not really worth getting a psu that goes fanless unless you're not running any hdd's to begin with. 

So, you're shopping in the US? 

What kind of school projects are you working on?

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

working on video editing in school and production in school and need a beastly pc at home so i can work at home and school. my school is fairly small so we have really bad pc's that take forever to edit and render on. and yes i am in the us so generally everything is a bit more expensive, then it would be in the europe. what series is fully modular and somewhat decent, i was also thinking about getting another 970 or even dual 980's in a year or two 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($317.75 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($136.23 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($104.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card  ($343.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit)  ($138.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1485.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-21 13:08 EST-0500

I tried my best. If you can drive to micro center it would be cheaper, not worth if it isn't close tho. Sexy Red/Black Theme

working on video editing in school and production in school and need a beastly pc at home so i can work at home and school. my school is fairly small so we have really bad pc's that take forever to edit and render on. and yes i am in the us so generally everything is a bit more expensive, then it would be in the europe. what series is fully modular and somewhat decent, i was also thinking about getting another 970 or even dual 980's in a year or two 

If color is at all an issue, I would recommend getting IPS panels instead of working off of a TV. Having more than one display can also really help for productivity.