Tech Things You Dont Know But Are Too Afraid To Ask.

I LOVE this thread! I have learned so much from it..

My dumb question is kinda obvious but I just put in another monitor at home and I use one for Windows media player for TV and movies while I use the other for Diablo III. Diablo III got a little laggy when I have the other screen on.. is it really that demanding to have both playing at once?? 

Diablo III isn't even that demanding of a game to play. 

I do have a old as balls gfx card but everything else on my computer is top notch.. i5 8gb ram.

my GFX card is a ancient ATI 1950x but it still runs DIablo III perfectly, there is just that tiny bit of slow down when the other monitor is on. Is it just my shitty GFX card or is this to be expected??.. It is still very playable and looks fine but I can tell things take a little longer to pop up like in inventory when I click it.

“Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.”

But wouldn't motherboard manufacturers need to design firmware that is compatible with PCI-E CFX?

The BIOS is what determines CFX/SLI compatibility, special code is written that allows the cards to talk to each other. Don't quote me on this, tho.

are there any good Wireless Mechinical Keyboards?

The point of distilled water is to not have any living organisms in it. Taking it a step further,

you can use demineralised water, which has all of its minerals (basically food for organisms)

removed as well. Demin water is basically pure H2O.

Silver indeed dissociates in water, but it acts as the opposite of minerals: it's an antimicrobial

additive. It inherently kills organic life in the water, making it not gunk up as quick compared

to plain water.

Thanks! I always thought that the distilled water was to minimize the risks of shorting something out if there was a leak.

Rig: Lian Li PC-V353 i5 2500K, GA-Z68MA-D2H, EVGA GTX 650, CM Gemiin S524, Corsair TX650M, Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate 1TB Barracuda, Fiio E10

What's with cherry mx green switches?

cherry mx greens are a heavier blue. Both are clicky and tactile. 80 grams of pressure is needed on green to activate the switch, but only 50 grams on blue switches for activation.

I LOVE this thread! I have learned so much from it..

My dumb question is kinda obvious but I just put in another monitor at home and I use one for Windows media player for TV and movies while I use the other for Diablo III. Diablo III got a little laggy when I have the other screen on.. is it really that demanding to have both playing at once?? 

Diablo III isn't even that demanding of a game to play. 

I do have a old as balls gfx card but everything else on my computer is top notch.. i5 8gb ram.

my GFX card is a ancient ATI 1950x but it still runs DIablo III perfectly, there is just that tiny bit of slow down when the other monitor is on. Is it just my shitty GFX card or is this to be expected??.. It is still very playable and looks fine but I can tell things take a little longer to pop up like in inventory when I click it.

Yes. The graphics card has to render what's happening on both screen, ala dual screen gaming. You could run your second screen on your iGPU and possibly get a slightly higher FPS.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Do I connect case fans to my PSU or to my motherboard? 

Can I install case fans before installing a motherboard? 

Ryzen 7600X | MSI Trio X 3080 | 3440x1440p asus vg34vql1b | Antec HCG 850 | 1TB WD Blue SSD | 500GB Aorus Elite | Asus B650 Strix A

what is wled and how does it compare to tn/va/IPS?

As Glenwing explained: WLED is just short for White LED. It is the technology

used for the monitor's back light.

TN/VA/IPS are different technologies for the actual LCD panel (that gets

illuminated by the back light, producing a visual image)

While we are on the topic of graphics cards what Stream Processors?

A stream processor is the term for general purpose processing units

used by AMD. Those are the processors that are used when using GPUs

for GPU computing. The more you have, the more work can be done in

parallel. They are so-called SIMD processors, which stands for Single

Instruction, Multiple Data. Basically, that means that all the processors are

able to perform the same instruction on different data sets in parallel.

Thanks! I always thought that the distilled water was to minimize the risks of shorting something out if there was a leak.

While it is true that pure H2O doesn't conduct electricity, it would be of little

use for preventing shortages. First, all metals will put ions into put H2O. Some

more than others, but all metals will, making the water conduct again over time.

Second, dust on the components will make water conduct as well, so unless the

computer is SOOPER clean, pure water won't help preventing shorts in case

of a leak.

Do I connect case fans to my PSU or to my motherboard?

If you have the option of connecting your fans to a motherboard, that would

be preferred. Most motherboards these days have adjustable fan controllers,

making your fans only ramp up when it's actually needed.

Can I install case fans before installing a motherboard? 

I'm afraid I don't quite get your question... Do you mean the physical installation?

If so, then yes, do as you please, just install them in the order that's easiest.

Why do all of my brother's laptops' motherboards' keep crashing? He isn't doing anything wrong with them, but everything seems to crash in one way or another.

Why do all of my brother's laptops' motherboards' keep crashing? He isn't doing anything wrong with them, but everything seems to crash in one way or another.

1) Your brother is too shy to tell the truth.

2) Laptop's components are highly integrated. Manufacturer/PC repair shops will tend to replace the whole board rather than just the faulty parts because it is easier, less room for errors and can be more profitable.

3) Depending on your brother's IT knowledge, it probably just an overly simplified way of the repair guy telling you what he did to fix the laptop. Could possibly be a scam too.

Main PC:
CPU: 3700x Motherboard: X570  RAM: 2x16GB 3600Mhz GPU: RTX 3080 Case: Corsair 4000D Air Storage: 1TB NVMe 2x250GB SSD RAID 0 2TB HDD PSU: 1000W Gold Display: Acer X34A Peripherals: Corsair K95 RGB Red, Razer Viper Ultimate

Laptop:
Lenovo Thinkbook 13s  CPU: i5-8265U RAM: 8GB  Storage: 256GB SSD Display: Dell P2414H Peripherals: CMStorm Quickfire TK Brown, Razer Atheris 

Audio:
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm, FiiO E11, Stoner Acoustics UD100, Shure SE-215, Logitech Z906, Mission 731, Altec Lansing ADA-885, xDuoo UA-05, AKG K7XX,FiiO X3, FiiO K3

would a headphone sound better if it's connected to a low end sound card rather than a some what advanced motherboard ?

Details separate people.

OK this is going to so sound utterly stupid, but I am totally confused with this as there are so many different ways and ugh everyone says the other is bad But How do you correctly apply thermal paste/compound. I have seen more than 10 different ways of doing it all claiming which one is better i trust Linus and Logan with the pea technique but is it really the best?

There is no "BEST" way just as long as you get a good amount that spreads everywhere. Not to much but not to little. Some people do an X, others just do the one dot aka the pea method in the center, others put multiple dots. DOESN'T MATTER! Just get it on and you can just let the heatsink spread the paste. Don't need to spread it with your finger.

There is no "BEST" way just as long as you get a good amount that spreads everywhere. Not to much but not to little. Some people do an X, others just do the one dot aka the pea method in the center, others put multiple dots. DOESN'T MATTER! Just get it on and you can just let the heatsink spread the paste. Don't need to spread it with your finger.

You do realize that you are replying a message that is almost a year old by now right?

Main PC:
CPU: 3700x Motherboard: X570  RAM: 2x16GB 3600Mhz GPU: RTX 3080 Case: Corsair 4000D Air Storage: 1TB NVMe 2x250GB SSD RAID 0 2TB HDD PSU: 1000W Gold Display: Acer X34A Peripherals: Corsair K95 RGB Red, Razer Viper Ultimate

Laptop:
Lenovo Thinkbook 13s  CPU: i5-8265U RAM: 8GB  Storage: 256GB SSD Display: Dell P2414H Peripherals: CMStorm Quickfire TK Brown, Razer Atheris 

Audio:
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm, FiiO E11, Stoner Acoustics UD100, Shure SE-215, Logitech Z906, Mission 731, Altec Lansing ADA-885, xDuoo UA-05, AKG K7XX,FiiO X3, FiiO K3

so i5s are suposed to be quad cores, but mine is a dual with hypertreading. will games use all 4 or just 2, and 4 when games support it?

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

so i5s are suposed to be quad cores, but mine is a dual with hypertreading. will games use all 4 or just 2, and 4 when games support it?

The 4 threads would definitely not be used if not supported. Games generally do support hyperthreading but just don't benefit much from it.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The 4 threads would definitely not be used if not supported. Games generally do support hyperthreading but just don't benefit much from it.

so i basically got a i3 labeled as i5 :o

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

That is all they are mate, the Core i5 (Clarkdale) is a Core i3 just with Turbo Boost and maybe one or two more features that I can't think of

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

You need to Lynnfield Core i5's (LGA 1156) for the quad core ones.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

That is all they are mate, the Core i5 (Clarkdale) is a Core i3 just with Turbo Boost and maybe one or two more features that I can't think of

Sort of. It's just that not all i5's are quad cores.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Sort of. It's just that not all i5's are quad cores.

I know, Clarkdale are dual core and Lynnfield are quad cores, I think it is the 700 series Core i5's are the quad's and 600 series are the dual's

What does a Hyper Threading do?

Hyper Threading allows for a single processor core to "virtually" become two cores. Watch this: 

What does a Hyper Threading do?

I will show you the way, using a linus video xD 

How do you overclock a CPU? I have heard it is vastly different than a GPU.

MOAR MULTIPLIERS!!!!!!!!!

You slowly crank the multiplier up and if it becomes unstable give it moar volts (increase by .1 of a volt)