Random BSODs - it's driving me crazy...

Ok here's list of things that I tried: (LGA1156)

- flashing bios

- reinstalling windows

- windows on other drive

- testing memory (MemTest86+)

- trying card in other PCIe slot

- trying different Wi-Fi adapter

- trying updating all the drivers

NOTHING :(

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9ZllrhuMiDFSXd2c2VURE5lMmM/edit

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9ZllrhuMiDFQnFMRXA2RUhTcGs/edit

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9ZllrhuMiDFemtTNDlfQ1NCT00/edit

PS: Things that are connected to this PC: Mouse (USB) Keyboard (USB) and WiFi adapter (USB)

Do you maybe use NOD or Avast? Both are capable of making BSOD :) try reinstaling them... (uninstall from safe mod) ..

Dont know what to say if you did all those things on your list :( maybe if you instal older version of your graphic card drivers... :/

Tried a different power supply? A failing PSU can cause weird things in Windows. Esp if you reinstalled Windows, sounds like something hardware related. Could even be the mobo going?

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

When exactly does it bsod.....is there a certain thing which triggers it??? I know that the posy says it is random but does it happen when it is a heavy load...if so it has to be the psu! Does it happen after a specific time interval from startup??

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

SSD: WD Black gen 4 x2 + Crucial MX 500 x2           

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro 16                     

Nope' date=' I don't use antivirus.[/quote']

you should allways have an antivirus program.

allways.

maybe a virus is causing your blue screens.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

Dont understimate my skillsz, you might look foolish.

Tried a different power supply? A failing PSU can cause weird things in Windows. Esp if you reinstalled Windows' date=' sounds like something hardware related. Could even be the mobo going?[/quote']

I think you should go with Whalers advice and check PSU. Borrow one from a friend and try it. It's easier to replace than a MB :/

a couple of those BSOD are caused by Nvidia driver, try upgrade or downgrade your graphic driver?

also, try to run Prime95 or Memtest++ for error.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Yeah, its probably MB - Bios is weird, problems with PCIe x16 2.0, problems with booting

It happens randomly, sometimes when i download, sometimes when i am watching Youtube, sometines when I am AFK...

And no, it's 100% not virus because if it was virus, I would remove it by formating HDD and installing Win on SSD (btw,,, Crashing on both Windows 7 and 8)

I would actually buy a new MB - no problem, but LGA1156 is old and I hate buying something used.

PS: Thank you all people for trying and especially Linus. This forum is so much better than any in my country :)

==================================================

Dump File : 012613-10000-01.dmp

Crash Time : 26. 1. 2013 10:59:13

Bug Check String :

Bug Check Code : 0x00000124

Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000000

Parameter 2 : fffffa80`04b47028

Parameter 3 : 00000000`be000000

Parameter 4 : 00000000`00800400

Caused By Driver : hal.dll

Caused By Address : hal.dll+2d965

File Description :

Product Name :

Company :

File Version :

Processor : x64

Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+7b340

Stack Address 1 :

Stack Address 2 :

Stack Address 3 :

Computer Name :

Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\012613-10000-01.dmp

Processors Count : 4

Major Version : 15

Minor Version : 9200

Dump File Size : 296 216

Yesterday I was running Prime95 6+hours with no problem!

Today I was watching Linus for 20 minutes and it crashed.

Any common links with your blue screens, as in programs, or games, or length of time up running, any HDD slowing or file corruption?

It was happening on Win7, then i bought SSD, formated HDD and installed Win8 and still happening. HDD is ~120MB/s and so it was always. Now I was running 2 days without BSOD and now it happened, but sometimes I got 2 BSODs in one day. Probably gonna try older GPU drivers.

0x124 = increase/decrease QPI/VTT first, if not increase/decrease vcore...have to test to see which one it is

I increased VTT from 1.129 to 1.151. Let's see.

It was happening on Win7' date=' then i bought SSD, formated HDD and installed Win8 and still happening. HDD is ~120MB/s and so it was always. Now I was running 2 days without BSOD and now it happened, but sometimes I got 2 BSODs in one day. Probably gonna try older GPU drivers.[/quote']

Get a new hard drive, and install windows onto it, to test if it's your hard drive starting to fail and corrupted in just the wrong placed.

If you can, change the ports that the Hard drive is connected to the MB.

Dump File : 013013-10000-01.dmp

Crash Time : 30. 1. 2013 16:45:57

Bug Check String : DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION

Bug Check Code : 0x000000c9

Parameter 1 : 00000000`0000023e

Parameter 2 : fffff880`016b8324

Parameter 3 : fffffa80`062d3b40

Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000000

Caused By Driver : dtsoftbus01.sys

Caused By Address : dtsoftbus01.sys+1324

File Description :

Product Name :

Company :

File Version :

Processor : x64

Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+7b340

Stack Address 1 :

Stack Address 2 :

Stack Address 3 :

Computer Name :

Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\013013-10000-01.dmp

Processors Count : 4

Major Version : 15

Minor Version : 9200

Dump File Size : 262 192

I ran Driver Verifier and these two were causing it... dtsoftbus01.sys and ntoskrnl.exe

I've been having the exact same problems and after almost two months of troubleshooting i couldn't find anything conclusive. It would just either BSOD or turn of my monitor, hover for another 10-15 sec and then restart or just restart after turning off my monitor. I ended up suspecting everything from hardware to software. I thought it was the GTX 480 SLI build and changed the GPUs with a GTX 560ti and a a GTX 260 (for Physx), which i borrowed from a friend, but the crashes/BSODs/restarts continued. I then swapped my MoBo and CPU for another MoBo and CPU, from the same friend (yeah, i know, his a good friend :) ) while using my SLI build but the same thing kept happening. I even took my rig to a shop and asked them to take a look at it, thinking im missing something a fresh pair of eyes would do wonders. It did not, after testing my rig for 2 days, i ended up wasting 50$ for nothing, because they said the system was fine and nothing was broken/damaged/dead/dying/whatever. I had asked them how they tested the system and they said they basically ran Prime95 and Furmark together for 2 days straight and nothing happened, the system was rock-solid... I brought my rig home and 15min later it crashed again, while i was browsing or something like that (i don't remember exactly, but it was something totally basic). Then i thought it was Windows 8 and or the SSD and installed the Win 7 on my "old" Velociraptor 300GB, but after a couple of hours is started happening again...

I got so frustrated at this point that i decided to just drop my old machine and buy a new one. I bought a Maximus V Formula, 3770K, MSI 680 Lightning, 8GB Corsair Platinum, the only things i migrated were my two SSDs (intel 520 120GB and Corsair F115) and the Enermax REVOLUTION 85+ 1250W. Then guess what, it started AGAIN and after the second crash,i even had to reinstall my OS because it didnt wanna boot anymore, it was going straight to RECOVERY and that was failing aswell... at thins point, i started suspecting either ghosts or God, who for some reason had taken a special interest in making my life a living hell...

After installing the OS, ofc the crashes started up again, BUT, this time, for some reason, it didn't "completely" crash, but rather the screen went black and then came up again and then i noticed as the "your driver failed/crashed and has recovered" pop-up was just fading away. I then started thinking that maybe the issue could have been the nvidia drivers all along... after another analysis of the win event logs i noticed that there were indeed driver crashes associated with almost all of the crashes/restarts. I then downgraded (again, since i had tried this before, on my "old rig", but with no success) the nvidia driver from 310.90 to 310.70 and fired up FarCry 3... crashed after less then 10min. But, while i was testing, i was talking on the phone to my friend (the one who had supplied me with his own system to scavenge for parts while i was testing my rig) and before the crash, he was just telling me how his system would sporadically crash and that in his case it was the nvidia drivers (but on Win 7). After this last crash, i decided to go all the way with downgrading the drivers and went ahead and installed the 306.97 driver, which for the GTX 680 is basically the second driver that actually is aware of this GPU. For some unknown reason, after that, EVERYTHING magically went away... In order to be sure that the crashes/BSODS/bla bla were actually caused by the nvidia drivers, i decide to do a "marathon" of playing the most demanding games for 5 hours straight, every day for the next couple of days (good thing i had just started my vacation, lol...) and see if i would experience any new crash/BSOD/etc. I can now happily report that after 3 days and almost 15 hours of playing FarCry 3, BF3, Diablo 3, Dota 2, HoN (well the last 3 titles aren't that demanding, but i had experienced crashes during playing those to) NO NEW crashes/BSODs/etc happened.

I do want to mention though, that with this new build, because i had installed the AI Suite II, the Asus "Sensor Monitor" was always running in the background together with my HW Monitor and two things did happen in these last few days.

1. A pop-up from AI Suite II alerted my that the voltage on the 5V+ rail had jumped from a constant 5.120v to 10v.... wtf ?!

​2. Just as i was writing this post, another pop-up from AI Suite II alerted my that the Vcore had jumped from steady 1.136v (i didnt OC anything other than the fact that i set the timings and frequency for the RAM manually from the "standard" values to 1866MHz and 9-10-9-27 (CMD8GX3M2A1866C9) to 2v, while HW monitor indicates a Max value reached of 1.536v... again... WTF ?! and then, again, while still writing this post, another pop-up notifying me that my Vcore was 0.00v, while HW monitor now indicates a Min value of 0.048v.... this is disturbing...

Tomorrow i will start retesting my old rig with and check if with the old 309 nvidia drivers fix the problems and also, i will be keeping a close eye on the voltages across the board for weird stuff like the ones described above...

That's a pretty long article...

1. you have good friends, but i don't have anybody who is such a tech guy as me

2. I had problem with drivers since 306.97! Gonna try 306.23, and if it'll be crashing after that I will have downgrade to Win7 and install 301.42... That version worked perfectly!

hehe, sorry for the wall of text, but given the situation, i felt that an accurate description was needed :)

I'll be doing the same thing tomorrow. I'm also getting a new CPU (this one i bought, no more borrowing :) ) and i will be installing Win 7 with one of the earliest versions of the 300 series drivers and even go down into the 200 series if needed, because those were stable for sure for me aswell and i will even try to get a ~1000W PSU, just to test and see. Maybe my trusted Enermax Revolution isn't that trustworthy anymore... that would be a sad day. Tbh, i doubt it's the PSU though because running Prime95 and/or Furmark doesn't cause a crash, even after 24h of continuous running...