Truth about "91" fps in the new call of duty

quzR

Ok so this happens every year (since they removed the console from cod, what was that, mw2?, I stopped playing the new ones) and capped the game at "91" fps.

Everyone starts complaining and the same thing come up every time, "Oh why is it 91 fps its such an arbitrary number, why not pick a more used frame rate such as 60, 120 or 144". 

In fact 91 is actually not arbitrary at all and the other ones actually are (please note i'm not saying 91 is good i'm simply explaining why they use it).

To explain we need to go back to the basics, the engine (please also note, they never "change" the engine, it has always been a modified version of the "id Tech 3" or "quake" engine and every time that they say its a "new engine"

they really mean they added new stuff source:here). The id Tech 3 engine is quite old now however for most of the underlying parts of the CoD games they will keep the code the same, meaning "bugs" from engine will always be there (why would they re-write the code if its already been written). As the fps part of the game is a integral in the engine then the "bugs" from way back in the day will still be here.

The id Tech 3 engine's fps part works with integer (real whole numbers) values that are derived from 1000/x, this means that the engine will ONLY run at "fps's" which are integers from 1000/x (x being any integer below 1000 i.e. 1,2,3,4,5,6, etc....). If "x" is a number which would make 1000/x not an integer the division still happens but the number is rounded up to the nearest FPS that DOES allow the division to be an integer. These numbers being 500, 333, 250, 200, 125, 91, 83, etc... . This is why 91 is not a random number which IW made up, its how the engine works!

FYI, IW actually set the FPS to be 85 (i actually don't know where they make this value up from, it makes no sense) however as the engine rounds to the next which is 91.

It may be due to the fact some framerates cause bugs in the engine, at: 

125 = jump further

250 = jump higher

333 = lots of bugs, some fall damage decrease, you jump A LOT higher/further

Here are some screenshots of the proof of rounding, FPS is in the bottom right hand corner of the screen, in the top left is what I set the FPS to be.

You can see 240, 60 and 85 round up but the 250 just stays 250. (shows capping to 60 would make it 62/63 anyway, also 120 would round to 125 and 144 would round to 166)

130118763-4.jpg

130118761-4.jpg

130118759-4.jpg

130118754-4.jpg

Source: General knowledge of how cod4 works (played for ages (Promod = best game ever))

Source: Quake engine 

Source: Cod4 modding wiki

Edit: Pressed Post to early, hadn't finished writing it.

Edit: spelling

Edit: Added some more explaining

though on consoles ill bet its still 30 :P

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

lel

The day that they redo the engine is the day CoD could be good again. I still ike AW though.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Actually the CoD series has pretty much always targeted 60 FPS on the consoles (I think).. Unlike others, they actually know that framerate matters.

(still not a fan of CoD, and I'm definitely not buying their games)

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Actually the CoD series has pretty much always targeted 60 FPS on the consoles (I think).. Unlike others, they actually know that framerate matters.

(still not a fan of CoD, and I'm definitely not buying their games)

then at reduced resolution instead? :3

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Singleplayer is uncapped fps. So it's possible to uncap the fps in the engine.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Singleplayer is uncapped fps. So it's possible to uncap the fps in the engine.

1000/1 = 1000

Here is your "uncapped"

1000/1 = 1000

Here is your "uncapped"

I think it's safe to call it uncapped. Unless you can manage to get it to 1000 fps.

Technically it's not uncapped but cmon, clearly the 91 fps was there decision to make and a number they pulled out of their arse.

I recall Black ops 2 not having those issues relating to movement at 125 fps+ in multiplayer. And yeah, they're using the same engine, that doesn't mean issues can't be fixed.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

I think it's safe to call it uncapped. Unless you can manage to get it to 1000 fps.

Technically it's not uncapped but cmon, clearly the 91 fps was there decision to make and a number they pulled out of their arse.

The whole point of this post was to say that they didn't "decide" to use 91, they "chose" 85.

I'm not agreeing with what they do, just saying what has happened.

I can't take seeing anther confused person.

very helpful to know actually. glad someone made this thread :D tbh though if there are known glitches that occur when the frame rate is capped at higher rates, then they should jump onto it and fix the bugs, so bench markers can find out how far the game will push their systems.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

So basically CoD4 becomes AW if you set fps to 333?

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

So basically CoD4 becomes AW if you set fps to 333?

no? I was using cod4 SS because there is a console to show my point.

no? I was using cod4 SS because there is a console to show my point.

The joke.

You.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

then at reduced resolution instead? :3

No, actually :) Call of Duty has always been the one game that's ran at 1080p 60fps on a console when there's one person playing on a system. In splitcreen multiplayer the framerate goes down to 30 - that's the only exception. It's simply because the engine is actually pretty well written so that makes it quite easy to run.

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8