GTX 970 Gigabyte vs MSI vs Asus.

Hemanse

I never really looked at backplates as helping with cooling...maybe...but it does help prevent sagging (from weight). Sagging can put stress on the PCIe x16 slot eventually causing it to malfunction. The backplate helps keep the card solid and rigid. I have used a black shoestring before to prevent sagging! If your motherboard sits horizontally then you have nothing to worry about...but for those of us with towers it is a battle with the heavier cards!

Big time price drops on the ASUS GTX 780 and 780 Ti, they are going FAST! I cancelled my GTX 970 order and went with GTX 780. A little less performance but with 2-day shipping it was cheaper than the GTX 970, comes with Bordelands The Pre-Sequel free, and has a $20 rebate. Sweet deal! The ASUS GTX 780 Ti is at $460 now! Also a sweet deal! The GTX ASUS 770 has not dropped yet but most likely it will. They just want to clear out the old stock.

By staying one generation behind:

Save $200 (or more) off launch price

Free $60 game

$20 rebate

Will the next cards be GTX 1080?!

Here the 780 and the 970 cost exactly the same, and about 100+ $ more then the US .. US - MSI GTX 970 Gaming: 350$, Denmark - MSI GTX 970 Gaming: 480$.

Must admit i thought the backplate were also to help with cooling, but now that you mention it, it obviously makes more sense that its to keep the card from bending, i myself have a tower case, but never really had problems with cards bending.

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2

I don't know if this is valid, but the Gigabyte one lights up... ;)

The MSI lights up as well

I have a store in my country that as only prices the Asus 5€ more than the MSI

I like more the Asus design but i remember to read that DirectCU II cards have a bit of issues on the VRM.

Is still that a thing or its all fix and good to go?

Need to order mine this week, since they gave me credit for my 770

Think im still gonna end up getting the MSI, i mean my 770 Lightning has a backplate and it certainly havent helped with the heat, probably just got a pretty bad card tho. But then again my decision is also due to the fact that the G1 is 30-40 dollars more expensive here.

I've actually changed my mind looking at more reviews and temp tests, the msi looks the best card of that bunch, though slightly less clocked out the box than the G1 its cheaper by about 20quid. Seen a temp bench where its 58C at load! and is very quiet, must have plenty of room for overclocking.

apart from the no back plate it def looks the best of the 970s as well

I've actually changed my mind looking at more reviews and temp tests, the msi looks the best card of that bunch, though slightly less clocked out the box than the G1 its cheaper by about 20quid. Seen a temp bench where its 58C at load! and is very quiet, must have plenty of room for overclocking.

apart from the no back plate it def looks the best of the 970s as well

Read up a bit on the specs of both cards, the gigabyte is 312mm long, while the MSI is 269mm long, quite a big difference and im guessing probably the main reason why the MSI one doesnt have a backplate, when you watch video reviews of the gigabyte you really get a sense of just how long the cooler is compared to the actually card itself.

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2

Read up a bit on the specs of both cards, the gigabyte is 312mm long, while the MSI is 269mm long, quite a big difference and im guessing probably the main reason why the MSI one doesnt have a backplate, when you watch video reviews of the gigabyte you really get a sense of just how long the cooler is compared to the actually card itself.

Yea good point, the back plate is to prevent sag so its not needed on the msi, looks kinda stubby compared to the collosal G1. I initially just wanted it because it looks ace on the G1

one thing i noticed in specs, the msi seems the only card with independent fan control while the rest feature both onboard and control from mobo, anyone know if this ever becomes an issue when using custom fan profiles? though as the temps and dB's ive seen in benches I probably wont bother on these cards, also the MSI switches off the fans under 50C which is big seller for me

I'm just hanging on to see if the 380x get announced tomorrow with pricing

MSI seems best to me. It is more quiet than the G1, but runs cooler than the Strix. 

i5 4570/ASUS Z87-A/8GB Corsair Veangeance DDR3-1600/GTX 770/A-DATA SP600/EVGA SuperNova NEX 650G/NZXT Source 530

Palit Jetstream or Gainward Phantom are the cards to get this gen.

But if you have to have one of those entry level cards, go with the MSi, it's all around a better cooler, ugly as it may be.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

My buddy bought my Zotac @ full price and I went with a Gigabyte G1 970. It is a beast 1360 base on stock voltage so far. Scored a 13,800 fire strike graphics score. This card put me in #1 for a single 970 so far, on Fire Strike and extreme!! Never got above 60c and stayed quiet! The back plate looks nice as well as the lit up Wind force logo. I recommend it.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

But if you have to have one of those entry level cards, go with the MSi, it's all around a better cooler, ugly as it may be.

Why would you say that, the Palit card reminds me of the MSI in terms of how it looks, except its a pretty hideous gold color  :huh: and tbh i have never heard all that many good things about the phantom cooler.

I'm excited about 900 series too but when it comes to saving money I am all for that. Think about this...if the GTX 970 is roughly $350 at launch then what will it be when the GTX 1070 (or whatever they call it) comes out?! I'm waiting until the next series comes out and then buying a GTX 980 for $350 with free game and rebate! :) I may be a little behind the times this way but oh well. In the mean time I get to see all the cards that come out and how they compare as far as ratings and reviews. The GTX 980 I choose will be carefully researched and there will be a lot more information between now and then. Not only that...but upgrading this way means I can always have an *80 card in my system.

As far as backplates go, I never understood how they could possibly help with cooling unless there is fans on both sides...which is actually a great idea! Helps with sagging and a shorter card like the MSI may not need it but I will always want a backplate because it just looks better. I always choose performance before aesthetics but I would rather have both.

i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3 1866 @ CL9, ASUS GTX 780, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, WD Black 1TB x 2, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W, BenQ XL2420TE 24" 144Hz @ 1080p, CM Nepton 280L, Noctua Industrial IP67 2000RPM 140mm PWM Fan x 6

Why would you say that, the Palit card reminds me of the MSI in terms of how it looks, except its a pretty hideous gold color  :huh: and tbh i have never heard all that many good things about the phantom cooler.

Well the gold on the Palit cards are a hate it or love it kind of thing, I love it as my Z77 ATX build is an AsRock Extreme4 (copper/ gold details) and I have a gold Cougar PSU with all black and copper coloured cable braids.

Looks aside, the Jetstream and the Phantom are similar in that they are silence optimized coolers that don't sacrifice any performance, in fact the Jetstream is up there with the best, and the Phantom has other features like removable (for cleaning) fans. Gainward is also known as arguably the very most trustworthy/ least problematic Nvidia board partner and has AAA+ track record.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I wish they had Palit and Gainward in the US but they are very rare here. It would keep the other brands on their toes!

i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3 1866 @ CL9, ASUS GTX 780, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, WD Black 1TB x 2, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W, BenQ XL2420TE 24" 144Hz @ 1080p, CM Nepton 280L, Noctua Industrial IP67 2000RPM 140mm PWM Fan x 6

Haven't seen anyone noticing this brand yet. YES its OT but i think its worth it to share.

Inno3D iChill Geforce GTX 980 4GB -

http://www.inno3d.com/products_detail.php?refid=123iChill%20Geforce%20GTX%20980%204GB

http://wccftech.com/inno3d-geforce-gtx-980-ichill-air-boss-herculez-x4-cooling-unveiled-custom-designed-boosts-1329-mhz/

PICTURES:

Inno3D-iChill-GeForce-GTX-980-HerculeZ-xInno3D-iChill-GeForce-GTX-980-HerculeZ-xInno3D-iChill-GeForce-GTX-980-HerculeZ-x

CPU: Intel Core I5 - 444| Motherboard: GA-B85M-HD3 Rev 1.0 | RAM: G.Skill RipjawsX 8Gb 1600Mhz (F312800CL10S-8GBX) | GPU: PowerColor HD7850 1Gb DDR5 256Bit (AX7850 1GBD5-DH) | Case: NZXT Source 210 Windowed White | Storage: Seagate 1Tb 7200Rpm 3.5" Sata (ST1000DM003) | PSU: Thermaltake LitePower 600Watts Black Edition | Display: BenQ GW2255 21.5" LED | Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X, Cooler Master Blade Master 120, Deep Cool XFAN 120 | Sound: Razer Kraken Pro, Marshall Major FX, Razer Hammerhead Pro, Audio-Technica ATH-M40X, Sennheiser HD 558, Antlion Audio ModMic 4.0, Fiio 6E Portable Amp, Creative Sound Blaster E1 Dac/Amp | Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Haven't seen anyone noticing this brand yet. YES its OT but i think its worth it to share.

That's pretty kick ass looking! It almost looks like the Silverstone logo. It looks really well designed. Is it available in the US?

Just bought two Asus gtx 970's!!!

From where? Everywhere is sold out.

That's pretty kick ass looking! It almost looks like the Silverstone logo. It looks really well designed. Is it available in the US?

Hopefully it is cause its effing looks are amazing, not to mention the thermal performance hahaha! who puts 4 fans in one GPU?  

CPU: Intel Core I5 - 444| Motherboard: GA-B85M-HD3 Rev 1.0 | RAM: G.Skill RipjawsX 8Gb 1600Mhz (F312800CL10S-8GBX) | GPU: PowerColor HD7850 1Gb DDR5 256Bit (AX7850 1GBD5-DH) | Case: NZXT Source 210 Windowed White | Storage: Seagate 1Tb 7200Rpm 3.5" Sata (ST1000DM003) | PSU: Thermaltake LitePower 600Watts Black Edition | Display: BenQ GW2255 21.5" LED | Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X, Cooler Master Blade Master 120, Deep Cool XFAN 120 | Sound: Razer Kraken Pro, Marshall Major FX, Razer Hammerhead Pro, Audio-Technica ATH-M40X, Sennheiser HD 558, Antlion Audio ModMic 4.0, Fiio 6E Portable Amp, Creative Sound Blaster E1 Dac/Amp | Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

I myself dont like the Inno3dD looks, it looks more like a plastic toy then a graphics card :) Also if that small fan spins quite fast, i can imagine some annoying sounds comming fra that.

From where? Everywhere is sold out.

I got it yesterday from newegg. It sold out pretty quick.

I got it yesterday from newegg. It sold out pretty quick.

Nice...I just got my prehistoric GTX 780 installed.

Why are the Jetstream and the Phantom the "cards to get" in this gen?