Does it still make sense to buy Windows 7 ?

FragQuenz

Hi there,

I´m getting a new system and i consider buying a new Operating System.

Does it still make sense to invest into Windows 7 or is Windows 8.1 the better choice right now?

I am using my PC mostly for gaming and I heard that quite some people have ingame problems with Win 8.1, is that correct?

Thanks in advance

Have you tired Windows 8, if you haven't then I would recommend Win 7, because who wants to pay 100+ dollars for something they hate. 

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

win 8 has a note-able advantage in games, like maybe 15% more fps

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

I would wait for windows 9. I do really recommend windows 8 though

Compatible with Windows 95

You can get Windows 7 if you want it tottally up you but Microsoft will stop supporting 7 and older so they updates stop coming in and I hear only Direct X 12 is only coming to windows 8 and new OS's choose anyone makes you happy still you still get updates for your GPU (From AMD, Nvidia) and stuff so.

I think Linus talk about this not to sure in one his stream

Me I personally love windows 8 I like all games in Metro/start screen

I did not wanted to upgrade to W8.1 because people were hating on it so much. But then I was curious as of why people hate it so I tried it... I would never go back to W7 now. Get W8.1 if you can.

I´m wondering what the big difference between Win 8 and Win 8.1 is.

And when is Win9 coming out?

Have you tired Windows 8, if you haven't then I would recommend Win 7, because who wants to pay 100+ dollars for something they hate. 

Win 8 is 100+ dollars?!

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

WIndows 7 gave me average around 50fps on ultra settings in bf4.

Windows 8.1 gives me a good 10-15% INCREASE. Alongside BF4, and every other game I play, performance increased. The OS seems more efficient with memory, and overall looks nicer to me. Start menu can be replaced with a $5 app, Start8, or startisback. Or classicshell.

Yes, buy it. Don't get Windows 7, because 9 comes next year and chances are an upgrade from Windows 8.1 will be free, or much cheaper than from 7 to 9.

If you are a student at ANY uni, check and see if they provide Win8.1 as an upgrade for cheap. I got an upgrade key for $15 from my university store. 

You can get Windows 7 if you want it tottally up you but Microsoft will stop supporting 7 and older so they updates stop coming in and I hear only Direct X 12 is only coming to windows 8 and new OS's choose anyone makes you happy still you still get updates for your GPU and stuff so.

I think Linus talk about this not to sure in one his stream

Me I personally love windows 8 I like all games in Metro/start screen

You will still get driver updates on the GPU, that is from Nvdia, not microsoft. 

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

You will still get driver updates on the GPU, that is from Nvdia, not microsoft. 

That what I ment xD thats why i said it doesn't matter

Save money if you get 8.1 just go to g2a.com

Case: NZXT Tempest 410 Elite =Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 =CPU: Phenom II 965 x4 @ 4ghz(OC) =Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO =Memory: G.Skill RipjawX 8Gbs CL8 @1600mhz =PSU: Corsair CX-600w =GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950*windforce 3Gb* =Sound: Creative SB0770 =HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB =Keyboard: Razer Black Widow *Standard* =Mouse: Perixx MX-2000 =MousePad: Razer Sphex

No it doesn't. Go for the 8.1 or 9. There will always be people who hate any newer version of windows that comes out. There's nothing wrong with 8.1, dont want the new start, you can chose to skip to desktop on boot now. There's a good increase in performance and its much less prone to system crashes.

Windows 8.1 had the start button, not like the full on start menu but at least it goes straight to desktop. Also you can get a shell which only uses 1mb of ram(I am using one right now). Since 8.1 is also used on other platforms its is extremely efficient as it uses a really small amount of recourses. Hence you get a performance gain in a lot areas such as gaming. Also directx 11.2 is on 8 and 12 will come to it and basically games will be on made for the windows 8 and 9 engine in the future. Also 8.1 is just a newer OS its more refined it will keep getting even more performance updates for a along time . if the layout is an issue basically get the performance and speed of 8.1 and get a classic shell and have the interface of 7. Like I had an old laptop and installed 8.1 on it and it works really well now . so go 8.1