HELP! My PC won't turn on!

Chompus

I just built a gaming PC and connected everything to the motherboard and whatnot. However, when I press the power switch to turn the machine on, it doesn't turn on! Any solutions? This was my first build ever so I'm not sure if everything is connected right or even connected, though, I'm fairly sure that it is. 

I'm using an Asus M5A99X Mobo, 8 GB Ram, 500W Corsair CX PSU, an AMD FX8350 CPU, a Cooler Master Evo 212 CPU cooler and so on. 

PLEASE HELP!

Check the PSU cables.

Are you sure it's plugged in?

On a more serious note, make sure you connected the wires that go to the power and rest button header correctly. 

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

One of the mistakes I made in my very first build was putting the PWR header from the case to the wrong pins on the motherboard.

Are you sure it's plugged in?

On a more serious note, make sure you connected the wires that go to the power and rest button header correctly. 

I haven't got a cable for the reset button.

bullshit... yes you do! Every PC Case comes with it.

btw, your avatar is killing me.

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

bullshit... yes you do! Every PC Case comes with it.

btw, your avatar is killing me.

The only power cables I have are a Power SW, Power LED+ and Power LED-, which are all connected. There's no Power Reset cable.

Weird.. ok plug them all in.. get a good cable management and show us a picture of your build if possible from good angles.

Also.. plug it in few plugs in your wall.. not the same.. or try another cable.. wait... etc.. it's supposed to work.

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

I haven't got a cable for the reset button.

What case do you have? 

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

4/8 pin cpu power? Try starting the PC on the motherboard with a screwdriver.

Power Switch on the PSU?

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Okay! An update on the situation!

When I now press the power button, I hear static/electric current and the computer turns on for a sec and then automatically turns off.... Any possible reasons for this or any solutions??????

Okay! An update on the situation!

When I now press the power button, I hear static and the computer turns on for a sec and then automatically turns off.... Any possible reasons for this or any solutions??????

Does the inside of the case look like this if you turn it on:

Application-Static-Electric.gif

Just reconnect every thing plug, that doesn't sound normal.

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Does the inside of the case look like this if you turn it on:

Application-Static-Electric.gif

Just reconnect every thing plug, that doesn't sound normal.

No, the inside looks fine when I turn it on. The PSU fan spins for a second and the power LED comes on for a second as well; when that happens, I hear static for a split second before everything turns off automatically.

No, the inside looks fine when I turn it on. The PSU fan spins for a second and the power LED comes on for a second as well; when that happens, I hear static for a split second before everything turns off automatically.

Disconnect the PSU from all internal components, connect a fan to it, and start it with a paper clip, maybe the PSU has some kind of error. 

Maybe take the case headers out and start it with a screw driver?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R

Maybe take the case headers out and start it with a screw driver?

Do that! And check all psu cables, Check if the 8pin does not say PCI

Sounds like a failed power supply... or that one of the GPU power connectors is plugged into the secondary power header on the motherboard (if you did that you have a dead motherboard).

And do try to get your initial power on done outside of the case.

AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D \ Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite \  32GB 3600 G.SKILL Neo \  Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC \  Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo \  NVMe 2TB Samsung 990 Pro, SATA 4TB Samsung 970 Evo  \  WINDOWS 11 PRO 

It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be. ~Publius Vergilius Maro circa 50BC

and for future refernce, test it before you put everything in the case :) saves headaches like this :)

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

Do that! And check all psu cables, Check if the 8pin does not say PCI

My 8-pin says CPU, which won't even come out now regardless of how hard I try.

Try unclipping the psu wire connection before pulling. 

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod

If it's not starting, something is not connected right.

If it's starting and going off quickly, it's protecting itself from frying, most likely.

I would take everything out of the case and mount your PC on a flat static free surface(as much as possible). Don't bother with GPU, HDDs, etc. Just power the mobo, cpu, cooler and monitor to the onboard video - yout goal here is to see the computer POST.

Go safe and sound, calm, try and fail, patiently - you will find out what's faulty eventually.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

If it's not starting, something is not connected right.

If it's starting and going off quickly, it's protecting itself from frying, most likely.

I would take everything out of the case and mount your PC on a flat static free surface(as much as possible). Don't bother with GPU, HDDs, etc. Just power the mobo, cpu, cooler and monitor to the onboard video - yout goal here is to see the computer POST.

Go safe and sound, calm, try and fail, patiently - you will find out what's faulty eventually.

This :)