HELP! My PC won't turn on!

Chompus

If it's not starting, something is not connected right.

If it's starting and going off quickly, it's protecting itself from frying, most likely.

I would take everything out of the case and mount your PC on a flat static free surface(as much as possible). Don't bother with GPU, HDDs, etc. Just power the mobo, cpu, cooler and monitor to the onboard video - yout goal here is to see the computer POST.

Go safe and sound, calm, try and fail, patiently - you will find out what's faulty eventually.

This X2

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

Reseat everything. (do everything apart from the cpu first, try, then do the cpu)

This X2

x3

Okay, I have taken everything out and I am now testing it as suggested above. When I turn the PSU on now, the green light on the mobo turns on. The CPU fan however, does not. That been said, nothing shows up on my monitor either. 

Okay, I have taken everything out and I am now testing it as suggested above. When I turn the PSU on now, the green light on the mobo turns on. The CPU fan however, does not. That been said, nothing shows up on my monitor either. 

Okay, let's see: PSU is not dead. Mobo is probably not dead.

Sorry for these questions but: is the CPU fan from the cooler connected to the CPU_FAN1 (or alike) header on the motherboard? Do you have the memory installed as well? Have you powered up the motherboard with the big 24-pin ATX(usually next to SATAs) and also that small 4/8-pin ATX(usually next to the CPU)?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

Okay, let's see: PSU is not dead. Mobo is probably not dead.

Sorry for these questions but: is the CPU fan from the cooler connected to the CPU_FAN1 (or alike) header on the motherboard? Do you have the memory installed as well? Have you powered up the motherboard with the big 24-pin ATX(usually next to SATAs) and also that small 4/8-pin ATX(usually next to the CPU)?

I meant PSU fan. But yeah, the CPU fan is connected and still doesn't turn on. Even my PSU fan doesn't turn on when I turn the PSU on; the green light on the MOBO does though.

can you take a pic of your board and connections maybe? might help us

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R

You are using the case fan connector. The CPU fan connector is on the top of the board.

f6srtrzw.jpg

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Did you read the manual?

pofxem3h.jpg

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Something looks wrong with that 8 pin, might just be the pic? Disconnect the headers pls and start with a screwdriver

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

Just as a side note, the PSU fan not turning on MIGHT be normal. Some PSUs only turn their fan on whilst heavy load, so that no unnecessary noise/vibration is created to cool down something that's not hot yet.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

Do you have another PSU you can try?

-edit- your going to want to plug in your monitor to see if it posts

Edited by Wingfan

You are using the case fan connector. The CPU fan connector is on the top of the board.

f6srtrzw.jpg

I switched them and still nothing.

Did you read the manual?

pofxem3h.jpg

Yes, I did, but it seems of no use for this problem.

Something looks wrong with that 8 pin, might just be the pic? Disconnect the headers pls and start with a screwdriver

And do what with the screwdriver?

I switched them and still nothing.

And do what with the screwdriver?

Shorten the 2 pins for the power button. 

Here is a video of a pro doing that: http://youtu.be/BZqunOrUWeM?t=1m9s

http://youtu.be/BZqunOrUWeM

Shorten the 2 pins for the power button. 

Here is a video of a pro doing that: http://youtu.be/BZqunOrUWeM?t=1m9s

an AGP slot! lol :)

an AGP slot! lol :)

Good times, Good times.. and IDE, wow. :D

Good times, Good times.. and IDE, wow. :D

hahahaha, the good ole days! 

do you have another PSU you can try?

Nope. it didn't work.

Did you clear the cmos? If not, maybe that works.

do you have another PSU you can try?

Unfortunately, no.

Did you clear the cmos? If not, maybe that works.

I can't find the CMOS button/switch, so nope, not yet. 

EDIT: I reset the CMOS, which surprisingly wasn't a button, but still, nothing happened. The green light on the MOBO still comes on, but that's about it. Nothing else seems to work. 

Unfortunately, no.

I can't find the CMOS button/switch, so nope, not yet. 

I thought you read it? :D Number 10 should be the cmos jumper.

I thought you read it? :D Number 10 should be the cmos jumper.

I did, but I forgot where it was. Still nothing though.

pop the battery out, wait a few minutes and put it back in, im running out of idea's

pop the battery out, wait a few minutes and put it back in, im running out of idea's

Already tried that. I've already informed Amazon and they have dispatched a replacement PSU which will be delivered on Friday. Just a question though, what do you think is more of a problem here? The PSU or the Mobo? I mean, the green light on the MOBO comes on so does that mean that the MOBO is fine and that the PSU is dead? Because when I turn the PSU on, the green light comes on, but that's about it. The PSU fan doesn't work.