Samsung couldn't resist turning the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge into an ad

Dietrichw

Why are you so hell bent on labelling Samsung as idian givers and applying all these standards to them but not everyone else?  It is totally possibly that their intentions are just as legitimate as elon musk, bill gates and everyone else who does the challenge.

You are denying them integrity because you hate them.  Like everyone who is reading into this in a negative way, what is the rational for that?

Denying them integrity? They quite obviously fudged the ad, and they aren't typically known for integrity when it comes to their phones, as evidenced in my OP.

I do apply those standards to everyone else. Do you know what an Indian Giver is? It is quite possible that their intentions are legitimate, however lest you forget this is an actual phone that can't get ALS, has no brain, and on top of that is not actually empathetic. Nobody nominated the GS5, this was a pretty blatant advertisement.

I find it funny how you're calling me the fanboy here when basically the entire web is on my side and you seem to be the one irrationally defending Samsung. I don't know why you do it, but evidently you think it needs to be done.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Bill Gates can donate enough money to triple the total amount donated so far. Mark Zuckerberg can do the same.

They could if they actually cared. They don't therefore they donate a pitiful amount (for them) and make free advertisements for themselves doing "a noble deed"

You realize that Bill Gates has given away nearly half is wealth? And he's still worth what, 55-60 billion dollars? He donates BILLIONS. 

He's done more than you, me and most of the internet put together. I know I've donate more than you probably have. I know I do more than you do. There are some who probably have donated more to ALS, Cancer and hospitals in general.

Is this some penis measuring contest now? Does someone need to scream from the top of the mountain every time they donate? 

ALS is making more money in a single month than they made all last year. Shit, their 2014 donations might eclipse the last few years combined. This is a GOOD thing. People are taking the viral nature and capitalizing the hell out of it. Its fun, its cheesy, you get some luls, ALS gets mass recognition and donations. Win. Win. Win. 

Samsung are a bunch of marketing cunts

I want to be a marketing cunt, that sounds awesome

Denying them integrity? They quite obviously fudged the ad, and they aren't typically known for integrity when it comes to their phones, as evidenced in my OP.

I do apply those standards to everyone else. Do you know what an Indian Giver is? It is quite possible that their intentions are legitimate, however lest you forget this is an actual phone that can't get ALS, has no brain, and on top of that is not actually empathetic. Nobody nominated the GS5, this was a pretty blatant advertisement.

I find it funny how you're calling me the fanboy here when basically the entire web is on my side and you seem to be the one irrationally defending Samsung. I don't know why you do it, but evidently you think it needs to be done.

Whats wrong with them using their phone? they have challenged other companies to do the same. I highly doubt anyone is going to give a shit if apple, HTC or anyone else edit their videos doing the same thing.    The fact that phones can't get ALD is moot, the point to the video is to raise awareness and raise funds, there is no law that says you can't use an item to further a cause.  If everyone Samsung challenged does the same thing are you going to call them out as well?

And as for your original post, using an apple enthusiast blog as evidence that Samsung are corrupt is like using andriod central as proof apple suck. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

And as for your original post, using an apple enthusiast blog as evidence that Samsung are corrupt is like using andriod central as proof apple suck. 

You can read books about it...nearly everyone in Korea admits it if you read that LifeHacker link. It's not really news. It's basically agreed upon by most of the world except you.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

You can read books about it...nearly everyone in Korea admits it if you read that LifeHacker link. It's not really news. It's basically agreed upon by most of the world except you.

except me and those who understand.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

except me and those who understand.

Understand what?

The whole institutionalized corruption in Korea thing isn't even really a debate...if you are trying to argue that it is I'm ending this conversation right now.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Well, at least they actually gave a donate link. But yeah, it's really scummy.

@Builder, must you take every thread about Apple competitors as an opportunity to start a conversion rally? Geez. It was good on you for pointing out that they cheated, but do you really need to attack an entire country?

Well, at least they actually gave a donate link. But yeah, it's really scummy.

@Builder, must you take every thread about Apple competitors as an opportunity to start a conversion rally? Geez. It was good on you for pointing out that they cheated, but do you really need to attack an entire country?

I'm not attacking an entire country. I don't hate Korea, nor do I hate its people or its culture. However almost nobody denies that their government is mostly in the pockets of large corporations.

That post was originally its own thread, intended to separate out this kind of riff raff from THIS THREAD. Of course a mod had to merge the two even though it doesn't make a lot of sense and has brought in a lot of misunderstanding now.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I'm not attacking an entire country. I don't hate Korea, nor do I hate its people or its culture. However almost nobody denies that their government is mostly in the pockets of large corporations.

That post was originally its own thread, intended to separate out this kind of riff raff from THIS THREAD. Of course a mod had to merge the two even though it doesn't make a lot of sense and has brought in a lot of misunderstanding now.

Perhaps being American has desensitized me to that form of corruption lol

Samsung is no more corrupt for buying out the government in Korea than comcast and timewarner is for buying out the US government, Or apple is for leveraging a dodgy patent system in their home state, or British telecoms is for their dodgy fibre dealings in the UK.   I don't know if you have ever been to south Korea but the whole system over there is not regulated like it is in western cultures.  South Korea is the antithesis of a capitalist society.  That's how their cultures seems to work, that is why they have such a huge influence in global corporate affairs when they are such tiny resource less country.

Samsung is no more corrupt for buying out the government in Korea than comcast and timewarner is for buying out the US government, Or apple is for leveraging a dodgy patent system in their home state, or British telecoms is for their dodgy fibre dealings in the UK.   I don't know if you have ever been to south Korea but the whole system over there is not regulated like it is in western cultures.  South Korea is the antithesis of a capitalist society.  That's how their cultures seems to work, that is why they have such a huge influence in global corporate affairs when they are such tiny resource less country.

Do I deny that our governments are corrupt? No. Why you single out Apple for leveraging the patent system when there are entire companies that do nothing but that I have no clue, I believe it stems from your general hatred of them.

I realize South Korea isn't capitalist, that's what I've been trying to tell you for three posts now. It's more like a corporatocracy.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Do I deny that our governments are corrupt? No. Why you single out Apple for leveraging the patent system when there are entire companies that do nothing but that I have no clue, I believe it stems from your general hatred of them.

I realize South Korea isn't capitalist, that's what I've been trying to tell you for three posts now. It's more like a corporatocracy.

Show below where I single out apple:

I think by naming 4 different corporations I have not actually singled out any of them, but illustrated without bias that most corporations are corrupt in their dealings and endeavours.

Show below where I single out apple:

I think by naming 4 different corporations I have not actually singled out any of them, but illustrated without bias that most corporations are corrupt in their dealings and endeavours.

Except that Apple is not really corrupt. I've refuted that before and would love to do so again.

My point was that there is an entire business here of companies that do nothing but buy patents and litigate over them, it's known as patent trolling. My father's patents were purchased for several million dollars by a patent troll and he didn't get any of the profit.

In the case of Apple, they make legitimate products and have legitimately won their patent lawsuits in many courts all over the world.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Except that Apple is not really corrupt. I've refuted that before and would love to do so again.

My point was that there is an entire business here of companies that do nothing but buy patents and litigate over them, it's known as patent trolling. My father's patents were purchased for several million dollars by a patent troll and he didn't get any of the profit.

In the case of Apple, they make legitimate products and have legitimately won their patent lawsuits in many courts all over the world.

so talking about patents is me singling out apple?  even though I mentioned three other companies carrying out comparatively corrupt activities?

Almost like you can't use a single company as an example in regards to the dodgy actions of a lot of companies abusing a flawed system.

I believe this stems from your bias towards Apple, as in no way was Moose incorrect, nor was he saying that Apple are alone in the way they act.

so talking about patents is me singling out apple?  even though I mentioned three other companies carrying out comparatively corrupt activities?

Well you act as if it's a corrupt practice, and it's not really.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Almost like you can't use a single company as an example in regards to the dodgy actions of a lot of companies abusing a flawed system.

I believe this stems from your bias towards Apple, as in no way was Moose incorrect, nor was he saying that Apple are alone in the way they act.

Well I think he chose Apple just to piss me off though.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

no.   I chose apple for the same reason I chose the others,  their actions are both popular and recent in history so articles are easily accessible to clarify and/or exemplify my opinion.

no.   I chose apple for the same reason I chose the others,  their actions are both popular and recent in history so articles are easily accessible to clarify and/or exemplify my opinion.

I would have chosen Intellectual Ventures but whatevs...

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Are you saying talking negatively about Apple makes you emotional? Just a heads up, that's a huge sign that you are a fanboy (getting emotionally involved with a company).

Let's be real here, without any bullshit fanboy-ism.

Samsung has donated a sizable amount of charity and they did so in a pretty humorous way. Even if you get a huge hard on from crapping on Samsung you still have to give them credit for donating to charity. Even if they are donating for selfish reasons money is still money.

Like moose said, barely anyone would recognize their CEO so they decided to use their latest phone, which a ton of people recognize, instead. Even if you dismiss it as an ad for the Galaxy S 5 you still have to admit that it has raised more awareness than what dumping a bucket of ice water on their CEO would have done. Isn't that the idea behind the challenge? To spread awareness? Mission accomplished in the best possible way if you ask me.

Korea might be corrupt but so it the US and many other countries as well in some areas. Can you please stop talking bad about the entire country of South Korea? I have no idea why you're even bringing that up to be honest. A Korean company is donating money to a charity and you go "Korea is shit! Samsung is pure evil and Apple is infallible!".

So what if the video was edited? There is no denying that the Galaxy S 5 is water proof, so the editing was probably there to make the video look nicer (the phone standing steadier or something like that). I got a perfectly logical explanation explanation as to what happened, and it doesn't involve "they photoshopped it!" (which makes absolutely no sense at all). The image you are looking at is just a screenshot of the lock screen. When the water starts pouring the phone picks that up as a finger moving around, which causes the status bar to appear above the full screened photo. Three reasons why I think that's what happened.

1) You can see that the lock screen starts moving to the left at ~0:06. That's what swiping to the next image in the gallery app looks like.

2) You can see the black (not transparent) status bar scroll down when the water is poured down on it. It doesn't appear all of a sudden, it scrolls down.

3) The status bar is black when inside apps. It is transparent when on the home or lock screen. So if you were to take a screenshot of your lock screen and view it in the gallery, it would look transparent (since the status bar is hidden in full screen). If you then swipe down on the photo you will bring out the actual status bar, which is black. Just like what we see in the video.

The screenshot was simply taken earlier than the video was recorded at.

I get that you're a huge fanboy, but I didn't think you were such a huge douche that you would criticize and trying to find faults when a company is donating money to charity.

Except that Apple is not really corrupt. 

Wooooooooow. Now I know not to take you seriously.

Really Samsung? Losing my respect as a consumer, day by day... I don't care if they gave money or not, you used this as a means to advertize a product and possibly get more back than you put out.

And I think the M8 could do it, considering it can do this:

lol i didn't knew my m8 is Water resistant ^^

Charlie sheen did the right thing. Instead of pouring water over his head, he gave 10.000 dollars to the charity.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz