I don't know what to call this post

orangecat

So i was just thinking if everyone in the world died except 1 woman and 1 man how could they possibly repopulate the world? Wouldn't that mean there would be tons of inbreeding? Wouldn't that cause tons of birth defects? I remember seeing this scenario in a few movies or something and I thought no way in hell they could "save" humanity.

i don't really know where I'm going with this thats why its in off topic but idk just post down below with what you think or whatever idc im just super bored right now.

Please keep religious talk out of this thats not what we are here to talk about.. thanks.

So i was just thinking if everyone in the world died except 1 woman and 1 man how could they possibly repopulate the world? Wouldn't that mean there would be tons of inbreeding? Wouldn't that cause tons of birth defects? I remember seeing this scenario in a few movies or something and I thought no way in hell they could "save" humanity.

i don't really know where I'm going with this thats why its in off topic but idk just post down below with what you think or whatever idc im just super bored right now.

Well, if you believe the bible that's how it happened to begin with.

The simple answer is, you couldn't repopulate the earth with 1 man and 1 woman.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

WAT?

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K @4.5GHz - CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i - Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero - Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 8GB (2x4GB) @1600 - Storage: WD Green 2TB, 128GB Corsair Force Series SSD - Graphics Card: Asus MATRIX R9 280x OC Case: Corsair Graphite 600T - Power Supply: Be Quiet Power Zone 650W - Monitor: 2x Acer S240HLbid - Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) - Mouse: Perixx MX-2000 - Audio: Logitech G430, Logitech Z506

Well, I mean there was two people to begin with...

Except that that's physically impossible. They wouldn't have gotten past the 3rd generation.

Hmm, maybe. You have one man and one woman. The chances of getting one boy and one girl. Then those two children grow up and then they repopulate. Eventually, it's going to grow again.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Wouldn't that mean there would be tons of inbreeding?

Yes, although 1 man and woman might only have male children...

so it might just end right there and then

Eww

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Hmm, maybe. You have one man and one woman. The chances of getting one boy and one girl. Then those two children grow up and then they repopulate. Eventually, it's going to grow again.

Again, not possible. Inbreeding usually results in sterility, thus an inability to breed.

But... inbreeding thou.... 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I saw a documentary a while ago that covered this topic, amongst others. It said you'd need a minimum of either 30 or 40 people (can't remember which) to successfully repopulate Earth with no inbreeding.

This really seems like a impossibility to me.

-snip

That's because it is. It's one of the largest "plot holes" in the bible.

Inbreeding results in sterility most of the time, if not other physical defects that would render the child incapable of taking care of itself. Not to mention the mental defects it causes as well.

According to the biologist Francis Collins the population of Homo Sapiens needed to be a minimum of 10.000 individuals at all time, genetic varity we see today: I guess something similar would be the case here.

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/09/138957812/evangelicals-question-the-existence-of-adam-and-eve  http://kenschenck.blogspot.dk/2011/06/francis-collins-on-adam.html

If there only were two individuals it would cause inbreeding. This would, in the end, cause severe mental and physical problems, and most likely, sterility.

But what we need to note here, is that these numbers are guesses. We would have to assume that these 10.000 individuals breed outside of their immediate groups, and thereby mixing up the genetic soup. If these 10.000 humans just settled in small enclaves, that never met, inbreeding would still be a problem.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

I saw a documentary a while ago that covered this topic, amongst others. It said you'd need a minimum of either 30 or 40 people (can't remember which) to successfully repopulate Earth with no inbreeding.

I believe I've read up on that before in the past too... sounds about right. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I believe I've read up on that before in the past too... sounds about right. 

Upon further remembering it was 30. The words 15 pairs seem to stand out in my mind for some reason.

the fallout lore did this in a very insane way, just search for vault 68 and 69, really creepy

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

But thats inbreeding and we already know that wouldn't work so...

That doesn't seem like enough people but I would think that with that many people you would have better chances of survival.

Well, according to the bible humans began with one man and one woman. 

(skip to 5:10 in this vid)

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

the fallout lore did this in a very insane way, just search for vault 68 and 69, really creepy

I was never into Fallout but I always thought there was some creepiness to it.

That doesn't seem like enough people but I would think that with that many people you would have better chances of survival.

Yeah I just saw the article that Volbet posted on page one. I'm beginning to doubt my memory now. It might've been something like repopulating a deserted island. Repopulating far fewer than seven billion people would obviously mean you'd need to start with far fewer people.

It could work if they relocate to a different environment every 2 generations (assuming that 1 generation produces 4 offspring with at least one male) while leaving behind part of the community...

adaptation occurs and bam! new gene pool...