What Programming Language To Learn?

Root

I'm wanting to start to learn about computer programming. I'm taking a programming course next year at college. What is the best programing language to start to learn? I have basically no knowledge about programming. I heard Java is good to start with but I'm unsure. The languages I will be learning in college is (from beginning of course to end) C++, Visual Basic, C#, and Java.

I'm wanting to start to learn about computer programming. I'm taking a programming course next year at college. What is the best programing language to start to learn? I have basically no knowledge about programming. I heard Java is good to start with but I'm unsure. The languages I will be learning in college is (from beginning of course to end) C++, Visual Basic, C#, and Java.

The one that gives you that warm feeling inside.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

(monty) Python.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Java first. I started with it and it is really easy to learn, but also VERY powerful. Then maybe JavaScript, because web apps depend on it and so many things are web apps.

Roses are red, violets are blue, computers are awesome, and so are you!

I don't think there is an objective "best" to learn.

What's important to learn when you're starting out is the logic of programming and the way of thinking about problems, as well as the various structures (if..then...else, iterative/for loops, conditional/while loops etc.) and paradigms (functions, objects, recursion etc) involved that are more or less the same in any language... That's the important thing to get to grips with for beginners, and any language can provide that. Once you have that, learning a different language is (not completely but mostly) a matter of learning some new symbols; the major hurdles are overcome as much of the ideas involved will already be very familiar to you even if they are written in a different way. (of course I'm just talking about imperative programming... learning functional programming is like learning all over again! :P)

There is probably a "best" language for you personally, however. I would suggest that you try out a tutorial in each of the languages you are considering and decide which you are most comfortable with starting out in. Once you've learned that one moving on to others is not too difficult.

well i think there are already a few topics on this have a look in my case i learned C# first and it was a little throw in cold water but its not as hard as c for example depends on what you wanna do with it

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

I learned HTML and honestly really enjoyed it. My websites were LITERAL shit quality, but it was fun :D

HTML is just a markup language...

Java is pretty fun, and you can start making some satisfying projects relatively quickly.

Java, powerful and popular, so you're likely to get many Qs during learning answered by the Java community. Also, you get Android Development as a bonus! :) However, any of those 4 are a good place to start.

| Intel i7 4790K @ 4.4 GHz | ASUS Z97-PRO | 16GB Kingston Beast @ 2400MHz | Sapphire AMD R9 290 TRI-X | 256GB Samsung EVO SSD & WD 2TB Black | AOC 4K Monitor 28" & BenQ 1080P 24" | Corsair Vengeance K65 | Razer Deathadder |

Languages (Who cares about spoken languages, meh.) : Java, C++, Python, Ruby, C#. | Aim: Assembly.

Best thing would probably be to not learn any programming language and spare yourself from all the hardship and struggle they bring. Use your time to chase girls, think about the meaning of life etc.

HTML is just a markup language...

True... but it's still fun to learn! :P

Forget about these HTML suggestions. Its completely idiotic since HTML is not even a programming language - it is a markup language and to be honest - a very easy one. In my university nobody even thinks about learning HTML since it is that easy - we just do it. Honestly, all you need for it is a bit of documentation...

If you really want to get on crackin' - first of all it would be a good idea to learn procedural programming, because it is easier to understand. Programming language like Pascal is dead but very good for learning what programming is in general. Also, delphi is procedural and C can be procedural as well - but DO NOT learn C as your first language - it will be very frustrating.

If you do want to get deep in objective programming without learning procedural in the first place - Java is the way to go. Java is brilliant because of its garbage collector and because everything there is a pointer. So you don't have to worry about memory management.

I personally learned programming languages in this order: Pascal, C, C++, Assembly, Java. I am not even mentioning CSS, HTML, because they are not programming languages!.

I you are going to learn C++ in college anyway, learn C++. If you know how to use C++, you'll know how to use the others as well. You could start with a higher level language like C# or python first, but I strongly recommend to learn C++. When you learn C++, you'll learn a lot about what is going on behind the scenes, and it is also good to learn about how the actual hardware works.

DO NOT learn C as your first language - it will be very frustrating.

C was the very first language I learnt which was through university. I learnt C for about 8-10 weeks then we moved to matlab for 3-4 weeks, that was the first course. Then next course (we worked directly with a microprocessor so no OS) we did 4 weeks of assembly then went back to C although we didn't actually get taught anything new except how to use it with hardware and reading a mp datasheet. Now I have to spend 13 weeks on C++. Starting on C didn't seem all that difficult to me although I haven't really done much else. 

My PC:

Case: NZXT Phantom 420 | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H-WB WIFI | PSU: Corsair TX650M | CPU: Intel 3570k | CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 with Corsair SP120s in push pull | GPU: AMD 7970 GV-R797OC-3GD | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB | SSD: Samsung 830 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

I don't think there is an objective "best" to learn.

What's important to learn when you're starting out is the logic of programming and the way of thinking about problems, as well as the various structures (if..then...else, iterative/for loops, conditional/while loops etc.) and paradigms (functions, objects, recursion etc) involved that are more or less the same in any language... That's the important thing to get to grips with for beginners, and any language can provide that. Once you have that, learning a different language is (not completely but mostly) a matter of learning some new symbols; the major hurdles are overcome as much of the ideas involved will already be very familiar to you even if they are written in a different way. (of course I'm just talking about imperative programming... learning functional programming is like learning all over again! :P)

There is probably a "best" language for you personally, however. I would suggest that you try out a tutorial in each of the languages you are considering and decide which you are most comfortable with starting out in. Once you've learned that one moving on to others is not too difficult.

I mostly agree with this guy, Learn one or two languages and then you know the logic and mindset for programming. The only real difference is Syntax and some basic rules.

I started with VB6 back when I was 8 or 9 then moved on to other languages. Once you've learned general programming, find a groove that's right for you, something that's enjoyable.

Let's say you like to develop games but your idea is touch oriented, games for mobile is quite profitable and fun to do for some, the languages you'll use there are things like Objective-C for IOS and Java for android.

Comb it with a brick

Learn objective C to get familiar with some of the syntaxes (almost the same syntax as PHP and similar to Python in some respects) and code organization...

Heaven forbid, God's tender sakes, Christ almighty, do not start with Java. Learn C++ with Bjarne's book. Also don't listen to people who say you must learn C before C++.

I started with vb, java, c++, now c#. My personal favorite is c++

If you get the logic behind programing then basically anything new is a breeze to learn

CPU: i7 4770k@4.3Ghz GPU: GTX 780ti Motherboard: ROG maximus vi formula PSU: Evga supernova 1000w Platinum

Case: NZXT Switch 810 Memory: g.skill ripjaws X Cooler: Corsair h100i(getting custom loop when i get money next) Storage: Samsung 840 evo 250gb Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: SteelSeries Rival