Can you move Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, and Videos folder

minimalist

I don't want them on my SSD.  But since that's where I installed Windows 8.1 that's where they are.  Is there anyway to move them to my other hard drive?

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

Yes, you can move libraries by right clicking them, then go to properties, then change where the Libraries are located.

So, you'd make Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, & Videos folders on whatever drive you wanted to keep them on, then change the location of the Library to the new folders, and remove the ones on the C:\ (probably delete them too after moving everything). 

Right click the Library.
Go to "Properties". 
Click "Location" Tab. 
Change location to the correct drive/folder.

That should do it.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Right click on the folder than go to properties than change or add the new folder you want it to save to, then make it the default save point

CPU: i5 25000 3.3 GHz             Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V-LK          Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB           Display: Samsung SD24 24" 1080p          

GPU: EVGA GTX 660 SC 2 GB     Sound: Razer Kraken pro                            PSU: Rosewill 630 watt                    Storage 1: 128 GB Adata XPG SX900 SSD

Case: Rosewill Challenger       CPU Cooler: Corsair h80i                    Mouse: Corsair M65                                   Storage 2: Seagate 2 TB HDD

Yes, you can move libraries by right clicking them, then go to properties, then change where the Libraries are located.

So, you'd make Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, & Videos folders on whatever drive you wanted to keep them on, then change the location of the Library to the new folders, and remove the ones on the C:\ (probably delete them too after moving everything). 

Right click the Library.

Go to "Properties". 

Click "Location" Tab. 

That should do it.

Right click on the folder than go to properties than change or add the new folder you want it to save to, then make it the default save point

I'm getting things like, "can't move a parent into a child." "Failed to build the list of regular subdirectories"

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

I'm getting things like, "can't move a parent into a child." "Failed to build the list of regular subdirectories"

wat

What drives do you have and which one are you trying to point the library to?

I just tried it from my C:\ to my F:\ (SSD to HDD) and it worked fine. I first made a folder called "F Library" though. It renamed that to "Documents". Joy.

Do note that it deletes the old Documents folder under C:\Users\$user

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

wat

What drives do you have and which one are you trying to point the library to?

I just tried it from my C:\ to my F:\ (SSD to HDD) and it worked fine. I first made a folder called "F Library" though. It renamed that to "Documents". Joy.

Do note that it deletes the old Documents folder under C:\Users\$user

Well, originally when I went to move it the location I selected was my E: drive.  I thought by doing that it would create it's own folder.  Apparently it didn't.  So I then created a documents folder and tried moving it there which gave me the parent/child comment.  The other comment I get is when I try to reset the location.  Apparently, it wasn't such a good idea to just select the drive without a folder.  Every other folder is working great.  It's just my documents folder which I did that to.   :(

Well, originally when I went to move it the location I selected was my E: drive.  I thought by doing that it would create it's own folder.  Apparently it didn't.  So I then created a documents folder and tired moving it there which gave me the parent/child comment.  The other comment I get is when I try to reset the location.  Apparently, it wasn't such a good idea to just select the drive without a folder.  Every other folder is working great.  It's just my documents folder which I did that to.   :(

D:

I have no idea what kind of Pandora's Box you've opened by doing that. Good luck. :( 

Parent into Child (no comment plz) means you are trying to put a folder into a folder within that folder. So say I have C:\...\Documents\Stuff and I try and put Documents into Stuff. That isn't going to work for obvious reasons. 

The reason that is happening is because the entire E drive is considered "Documents" and the folder in it is considered "Stuff". So move the location again back to another folder on your C (don't use Revert, it won't work since the Documents folder on C is deleted when you move the library), then move it to the folder you made on E and it should work then.

† Christian Member †

D:

I have no idea what kind of Pandora's Box you've opened by doing that. Good luck. :( 

Parent into Child (no comment plz) means you are trying to put a folder into a folder within that folder. So say I have C:\...\Documents\Stuff and I try and put Documents into Stuff. That isn't going to work for obvious reasons. 

The reason that is happening is because the entire E drive is considered "Documents" and the folder in it is considered "Stuff". So move the location again back to another folder on your C (don't use Revert, it won't work since the Documents folder on C is deleted when you move the library), then move it to the folder you made on E and it should work then.

I have about 2.5TB I'm gonna have to move out of that drive and then back now.  I was really hoping for a better way.  :(

Right click the Library.

Go to "Properties". 

Click "Location" Tab. 

That should do it.

This is the way I did it with my current computer. 

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

I have about 2.5TB I'm gonna have to move out of that drive and then back now.  I was really hoping for a better way.   :(

Sorry bro. :( It has to go to another drive regardless, or it can't be moved. You could partition the drive, but I doubt it's a 6TB drive and I doubt it would just move them rather than copy/paste them across the same drive (defeating the purpose).

Just reverse the process. Move the 2.5TB of files out of that drive (since I doubt they were moved from the Documents in your C:\), then make a folder on C:\Users\<User> called Documents, and change the location. Then make a folder on E:\ called LIbraries, and within that make folders called Documents, Downloads, Music, etc and move the libraries. 

It's the only real option you have. :(

† Christian Member †

Sorry bro. :( It has to go to another drive regardless, or it can't be moved. You could partition the drive, but I doubt it's a 6TB drive and I doubt it would just move them rather than copy/paste them across the same drive (defeating the purpose).

Just reverse the process. Move the 2.5TB of files out of that drive (since I doubt they were moved from the Documents in your C:\), then make a folder on C:\Users\<User> called Documents, and change the location. Then make a folder on E:\ called LIbraries, and within that make folders called Documents, Downloads, Music, etc and move the libraries. 

Yup, that's exactly what I'm doing.  I think I've learned my lesson.

post-57145-0-34937400-1406329935.png

Sooo... it's not fixed? Or are you still in the process of fixing it?

† Christian Member †

Sooo... it's not fixed? Or are you still in the process of fixing it?

I'm still moving everything to my back-up drive.  I'm not even half way there.   That just shows that my documents folder is now called E:\