Why does viewing angle matter?

lastshot

you guys say one of the reasons ips is better than tn is because viewing angles, but i dont understand... if your looking straight at your monitor why the hell does it matter? or am i missing somthing?

its a way to show the quality of a panel

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

It can sometimes be a pain. My laptop has a pretty crappy tn panel and I have to reajust it a lot so it doesnt start to invert or get too bright (when I initially pick it up, change positions, or move it)

you guys say one of the reasons ips is better than tn is because viewing angles, but i dont understand... if your looking straight at your monitor why the hell does it matter? or am i missing somthing?

Well it's simple. You aren't always looking straight at your monitor. Plus with larger monitors (Especially 24" and higher), the edges of the screen on a TN panel can start to distort or darken, etc, because you aren't looking straight on at that part of the screen and the angle is severe enough to cause image distortion.

With a IPS panel , you have much wider viewing angles, so for larger displays especially, you can look at any corner or part of the display and see true accurate colours, brightness, and contrast.

It's a very subtle thing most of the time that you probably don't even notice on your TN... until you compare it to an IPS that is. Once you switch, you don't switch back unless you specifically need high refresh rate (120/144Hz),

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Different part of the screen are at different angles to your eye.  Especially on larger monitors it is not possible to use a TN panel without some portion of the screen color shifting, and if you move your head over to lessen the angle, the other side of the monitor starts color shifting.  The only way to solve it is to scoot back, which defeats the purpose of a larger monitor.  Also, it's very useful on laptops.

I am also not always looking straight at my monitor.  Sometimes I drop something under my desk, and reach my arm down to grab it, but I want to keep reading what I'm reading.  Maybe I reach off to the side to grab my phone charger cable.  It sounds negligible when I say it, but actually using a TN monitor, I find myself noticing color shifts surprisingly often, whenever I re-position myself a little bit or move around at all, or reach for anything.

Asus VG278HE. 27" TN. TN panels used to be really bad, like on old notebooks. Today's TN...I have to really tilt it to distort, but it still doesn't become unviewable like the old ones.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

Surprised nobody has brought up surround gaming yet. True, it's not too common, but with TN panels, the side monitors will look pretty bad. 

Well it's simple. You aren't always looking straight at your monitor. Plus with larger monitors (Especially 24" and higher), the edges of the screen on a TN panel can start to distort or darken, etc, because you aren't looking straight on at that part of the screen and the angle is severe enough to cause image distortion.

With a IPS panel , you have much wider viewing angles, so for larger displays especially, you can look at any corner or part of the display and see true accurate colours, brightness, and contrast.

It's a very subtle thing most of the time that you probably don't even notice on your TN... until you compare it to an IPS that is. Once you switch, you don't switch back unless you specifically need high refresh rate (120/144Hz),

I wanna get an ips for my new build but im competitive and i need fast, maybe a ips panel with 5ms gtg and less than 12ms imput lag?