Anime Club - Heaven Society

JLCitadel
...Stockholm syndrome?

Reddit.

https://m.reddit.com/r/HestiaisBestia/

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

6 minutes ago, BashZeStampeedo said:

...Stockholm syndrome?

quote twice if you are being forced against your will to create hype for DanMachi...

Anyways I didnt really have a problem with the anime other then not seeing a need for hestia being in it.

Just now, Charger said:

quote twice if you are being forced against your will to create hype for DanMachi...

Anyways I didnt really have a problem with the anime other then not seeing a need for hestia being in it.

There really wasn't much to the anime to get worked up about one way or the other. It was really just a waste of a decent budget. I wouldn't be surprised if the only thing people remember about it is Tatty McBoobStrap.

Just now, Daegun said:

Actually, I meant the "season 2 when" remark. But then I guess if all you want is more Breastia, so be it.

1 minute ago, BashZeStampeedo said:

There really wasn't much to the anime to get worked up about one way or the other. It was really just a waste of a decent budget. I wouldn't be surprised if the only thing people remember about it is Tatty McBoobStrap.

Actually, I meant the "season 2 when" remark. But then I guess if all you want is more Breastia, so be it.

Breastia... sounds about right. Overall i thought it was decent but nothing special. I kind of associated with soul eater thinking back on it.

5 minutes ago, Charger said:

Breastia... sounds about right. Overall i thought it was decent but nothing special. I kind of associated with soul eater thinking back on it.

Alternatively: Chestia.

Soul Eater had some style of its own at least. It didn't feel as utterly generic (and I try to avoid using that term).

The phrase 'Hestia is bestia' triggers people. Duly noted.

Pick again.

Ij6u699.png

osu?http://osuskins.info/skin?s=1338
Chestia is Breastia?

I want it for teh lulz

Didn't mind it that much. It wasn't good by any means, but I had fun laughing at parts.

If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Just now, Daegun said:

I want it for teh lulz

Didn't mind it that much. It wasn't good by any means, but I had fun laughing at parts.

Do you laughing at it, or with it? Because I don't remember there being much comedy of note.

I generally just tend to like Shonen stuff but I don't really have anything that makes me like them really. So I thought it was decent but less  Chesty La Rue would have been nice 

12 minutes ago, Charger said:

I generally just tend to like Shonen stuff but I don't really have anything that makes me like them really. So I thought it was decent but less  Chesty La Rue would have been nice 

Gotta be honest here, even though I'm not a big fan of Konosuba, so far it's basically "Danmachi done right".

Do you laughing at it, or with it? Because I don't remember there being much comedy of note.

More of at than with. Like the insta-kill skill he got, that was gold.

42 minutes ago, Charger said:

idk, what i'm seeing (kono suba) is very similar to a SoL "sillier" Chestia & friends, and in episode 1 a whisp of Gantz/YYHakusho

except there's no fighting, lol

any "combat" done so far has been for the sake of comedy since all four characters are useless

during the first confrontation they ironically jump-skip to logo catch (which is getting under my skin, I fucking know what I'm watching don't remind me every 5 minutes)

the "chestia" in this one trains her skills for basically party tricks

the mage can only cast one type of spell once a day

the knight can't actually fight and is a masochist, so that's a walking japanese gag

boke MC is completely average "bottom of the barrel" class

it's almost like an anti-shounen. It has the exact setup but they never do anything shounen.

which they really can't, since it's a ragtag team of "can barely do anything right"

despite having all the elements there and ready to exploit, no self insert, indecisive harems, forced romantic tension, and not much general pandering.

fan service is there but not really overbearing, gotta sell the thing somehow.

as another "content free" show, i just hope they don't do something stupid like they did in Zvezda plot where they shoehorn in a plot during the last 3 episodes and make it a general drag.

not really sure what to make of it, solid junk food anime but poor marathon material probably, can see it getting tiring.

if they keep it going as-is, I could probably give it a 7/10 very favorable. Not super lmao but not offensive to watch.

Error: 410

6 minutes ago, helping said:

idk, what i'm seeing (kono suba) is very similar to a SoL "sillier" Chestia & friends

Konosuba's just riffing on RPG stuff very lazily, but it gets by because the Chestia and the MC actually have personalities, and there's some limited charm in how they play off the idiocy of the characters. But it's more fun than funny... in fact it's at its funniest when it's not trying to be funny.

31 minutes ago, BashZeStampeedo said:

Konosuba's just riffing on RPG stuff very lazily, but it gets by because the Chestia and the MC actually have personalities, and there's some limited charm in how they play off the idiocy of the characters. But it's more fun than funny... in fact it's at its funniest when it's not trying to be funny.

like? it seems like it's trying to be funny the entire way

the scene where bombs eats a carrot after being called a little girl was a giggle I think a lot of people might miss.

9 minutes ago, helping said:

like? it seems like it's trying to be funny the entire way

the scene where bombs eats a carrot after being called a little girl was a giggle I think a lot of people might miss.

Maybe I should reword it as "when they're not trying too hard to be funny or milking dry teats that were once jokes".

The best moments for me have been the ones where they just matter-of-factly reveal things that "make sense", like when Ditz just anticlimactically solves the problem, or Dick gets the most reward for just doing his job instead of being flashy, or when EvilGuy only bothered with them at all because they were driving him insane. Not gut-busting stuff, but hella funnier than when they have Bomb blowing things up the same way for five minutes or Tits getting blandly masochistic for the umpteenth time.

11 minutes ago, BashZeStampeedo said:

Maybe I should reword it as "when they're not trying too hard to be funny or milking dry teats that were once jokes".

The best moments for me have been the ones where they just matter-of-factly reveal things that "make sense", like when Ditz just anticlimactically solves the problem, or Dick gets the most reward for just doing his job instead of being flashy, or when EvilGuy only bothered with them at all because they were awful neighbors. Not gut-busting stuff, but hella funnier than when they have Bomb blowing things up the same way for five minutes or Tits getting blandly masochistic for the umpteenth time.

Ah, I get what you mean. I found all of those pretty funny too.

with tits it's not really her in herself that's funny, it's more of the reaction like during the flying cabbage episode.

they put the audience to decent use with the characters as spectacle, idk if you noticed it but in the "pantsu" scene during the panning shot in the clubhouse there were two random dudes in there giving a thumbs up lol.

most giggle so far has probably been the water purification skit

Just now, helping said:

with tits it's not really her in herself that's funny, it's more of the reaction like during the flying cabbage episode.

they put the audience to decent use with the characters as spectacle, idk if you noticed it but in the "pantsu" scene during the panning shot in the clubhouse there were two random dudes in there giving a thumbs up lol.

I can't say that Tits' reactions are funny, so much as her idiocy.

I also don't find those incidental details funny, but rather like the laugh track on a crappy sitcom. They come across to me more like "We told a joke! This is where you laugh!" then adding to the comedy, but that's maybe just me.

so after the update to the forum, i can follow this thread without getting my notifiactions raped?

"Never quote yourself"

-I need a better name

8 minutes ago, I need a better name said:

so after the update to the forum, i can follow this thread without getting my notifiactions raped?

i get more notifications now...

because i used to use the option to get one notification only when not online, now i get that and more notifications while i'm online

short answer: yes

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

1 hour ago, azurezeed said:

i get more notifications now...

because i used to use the option to get one notification only when not online, now i get that and more notifications while i'm online

short answer: yes

i had it broken before where I would get no notifications and no emails from this thread now I get an email once a day lol

this thread has slowed down, now all the shitposting goes to discord it seems

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

5 minutes ago, azurezeed said:

this thread has slowed down, now all the shitposting goes to discord it seems

not much to watch either it seems

holding off on Erased for a few more eps to come out and the only other decent things this season are sekkou and konosuba

Just now, helping said:

not much to watch either it seems

holding off on Erased for a few more eps to come out and the only other decent things this season are sekkou and konosuba

The Rakugo anime is far better than Sekkou or Konosuba, and probably better than Erased (though with less mainstream appeal).

Finally have some time for more anime and manga... time to try catching up! Shame this batch of stuff was pretty underwhelming.

Dimension W (4). mediocre.
Good lord was this episode ever tedious. It's bad enough that a ghost story is about as predictable a plot point as you can aim for with a story about a parallel dimension. It certainly doesn't help that nothing really happened for half the episode. Dude-bro meandered around and verbally abused Robo-chica, and that's about it. Then they very lazily confirmed what we already know (that this is about a Numbers, and that it involves Dimension W), give us an obligatory fanservice scene, an obligatory action scene, and end the episode without resolving anything. So not only did we learn nothing that wasn't already trivially inferred, but it was stretched out to the point of boredom. At this point I've had enough of Dimension W. I can't see this story going anywhere interesting, so if they're also going to drag out such dull material then I might as well quit while I'm ahead.

Luck and Logic (5). decent.
The character intro here was on the melodramatic side, but at least it worked better than the last two episodes because the writing wasn't as hackneyed. That said, I'm very disappointed that they didn't use the excuse that the MC lost some of his personality, because he's still a real flatline of a character and it was the perfect in-joke to set up a really neat character, and such an MC would have easily been able to lend this episode's themes some palpable emotional weight. But this was still better than I expected from this series about friendship, even if it could have been great if they had planned this series a bit better.

Luck and Logic (6). mediocre.
And here I thought the other characters were uninteresting. Simply put, this episode was a snoozer. We watch a girl we know nothing about just wander around wondering what to do with her life, then some random jackass makes a mistake that nobody would make, and as a result they have to mount the least interesting rescue for the girl they probably could have. We also learn why the bad guys do what they do, and... well, it's so boring that I'm dropping the series. Seriously; things just keep getting worse and worse. I mean, they named the monsters "foreigners" and THIS is the best motivation they could give them? Screw that. Way to waste a pretty cool monster design. And I'm not even going to bother discussing how stupid the resolution to the "fight" was.

Oshiete! Galko-chan (5). decent.
The first half of the episode was pretty solid, with a nice Nichibros moment and them keeping Galko's nature deliberately vague, but the rest deflated that stuff and ended on an unexpected joke that felt pretty forced (even given how oblivious Galko's supposed to be).

Oshiete! Galko-chan (6). so-so.
This ep was too girly for me to derive any real entertainment value from it.

Konosuba (5). decent.
There is definitely a funny and charming show buried somewhere in here, despite them ignoring all of the real potential. Frankly it's like they chose to have an MC with a personality, but but they're still treating him like a generic flatline of a harem lead (just with a sharp tongue). Case in point, they finally remembered that there were other heros for him to meet, but rather than having him meet someone with comedy potential, he meets a one-note pompous ass. On the other hand Aqua has very little potential as a character, but they milk that potential for all it's worth. That thankfully pays off in this episode, though overall this series is still more "fun" than "funny". There are so many interesting things they could be doing with this premise, but after 5 episodes I don't think they even know they're sitting on a goldmine.

Teekyuu 7 (5). good.
A Winnie the Pooh reference in an anime? How rare. It was a nice change of pace to see them go all-out on randomness and break out of the box they made for themselves.

Dimension W manga (c1-2). so-so.
I wanted to see if the manga is any different from the anime, but so far it's not. It's also not any better than the anime, so I'd rather not waste time on it.

Kaguya Wants to be Confessed to manga (c1-10). good.
If you like Tomo-chan, then this one should be up your alley as well. Two goofballs who want to be together, yet are too proud to actually get together, and it's all framed as chapter-long "battles" that range from silly little tests of willpower to the two of them just plain being idiots and missing their chances. It's cute enough to work, and the comedy is on point. It works well for what it is, and there's plenty of room for them to take it to memorable places if they ever choose to add some light drama from time to time. I fully expect it to suck once it changes over to its new weekly release schedule, though.

Tomo-chan's a Girl! manga (c241-247). decent.
Wow, they sure made light of Carol's mom's age, did they? That was surprising. The rest was the kinda stuff you'd expect from this manga: charming, but I'll need to wait until it gets somewhere interesting to really comment on it.

Seitokai Yakuindomo manga (c309-363). decent.
Phew! Finally caught up with SyD. This batch of chapters were the usual; not much to say about them, but they were fun enough in the moment. If they had the desire, they could probably turn this into a fun harem series, but as it stands it's doubtful it will even be anything but a repetitive comedy, even when the time comes to end it.

Actually, I'm... manga (c112). great.
To be honest I did not see this coming. I probably should have, given the kind of character Youko's dad is (and given the popularity of the franchise they were spoofing here). It made for a funny twist that I also ought to have really seen coming, but it's easy to read this manga without thinking and just let it do its thing. It's dumb, but it takes advantage of what thin layers its subtext has, which is rare in comedy anime and manga these days.

Chihayafuru manga (c158-159). awkward.
For the first time in a while, I was kinda into the themes and exploration thereof in these chapters. It felt like the story was trying to get a start on moving to its next arc, and doing some solid (if kinda predictable) character development. Then the stuff with Taichi happened, and it was cringe-worthy. Not only did they have the guys hug each other like little girls for no real reason, but Taichi's image of himself took a sharp downward turn into forced melodrama territory. I'm frankly not even sure if they can salvage the stuff with Taichi anymore (it's THAT bad). Things have felt pretty tenuous for this manga lately, and I'm now pretty worried that it'll end up being a let-down. It really shouldn't be difficult to fix things, but my doubts have been piling on for too long now to not be concerned.

Hinamatsuri manga (c1-3). so-so.
There wasn't anything special here so far, and it didn't manage to hook me. I must admit that I like the idea of a comedy manga poking fun at "dark and edgy" manga themes like superpowered kids and yakuza flunkies, but... this manga just wasn't funny to me. It simply doesn't seem to know how to tell its jokes without flailing. I keep wondering if I'm supposed to laugh or just tilt my head in confusion. My preference for this kind of comedy is for it to be subtler, and not feel this slapped together. Maybe it will be funnier if they adapt it into an anime that has a more solid sense of comedic setup and timing, but it's hard to tell. I also wonder what people see in its art style.