Facebook To Buy Oculus Rift For $2 Billion

Gunzkewl

90% of the people here are completely overreacting.(Sorry but it's true)

Isn't it better to have an overreaction, than to be apathetic?

This is how Gamers deal with news they don't want to hear, they vent on forums. Remember the reactions towards Xbox One's always online announcements?

While it can seem like the equivalent of a small child having a tantrum, there's usually more thought to it than that. There's a legitimate concern hiding behind all the butthurt.

But at the end of the day, if a product you are interested in is bought out by another company that you do not like / trust or respect. It is completely valid to avoid that product, and look elsewhere. And at the end of the day, that's what will happen. 

Facebook wants Candy Crush Saga in VR!

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I just thinking, what the literal F a company like Facebook does with a virtual reality company?

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

And now i can't travel to another one with a Rift because F'ing Facebook.

I don't see what makes some of you think that a piece of hardware will have ads.. but okay, have it your way.

Also, if FB won't interfere with the Oculus guys' plans, like in the case of Instagram & Whatsapp!.. and they only do the money dumping - that'd be great! Just that, man, in this age, there's nothing you can know for sure. Only thing we can do is wait and see..

would you be okay if a portion of the screen just continuously had ads?

Thank you for giving me this horrible image.

I look forward to burning millions of Facebook branded monitors in hell in my next nightmare.

Youre missing the point.

An Oculus Rift isnt a website. Its hardware. When you buy a monitor, would you be okay if a portion of the screen just continuously had ads?

Where are you getting that part of the screen will be covered with ads?

@JasonRoGo is just saying everyone seems to be over reacting and then gets a reply saying (with absolutely no evidence), that portions of the screen will have ads on? Kinda enforces his point.

I trust Palmer, and he has said that there will be no ads unless devs add them themselves, just like normal. No logins, no nothing.

For now, its Oculus VR with some extra facebook money, allowing new components potentially, cheaper HMDs, and more investing in software

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

90% of the people here are completely overreacting.(Sorry but it's true)

1. It will still be gaming focused.

For the simple reason that the average person isn't willing to pay that much money for VR or for the hardware you need to drive it.

Most people have still a Dual Core with integrated graphics or a GT610...

Even Console gamer aren't willing to pay money for their own consoles.

2.People are hating on Facebook because of ads...

Like serious every internet page has adds.

This Forum has adds,YouTube has adds,Google Search has adds, as well as 99% of the internet.

3.Facebook hasn't messed up anything that they bought till this date.(Whats App and Instagram work still fine)

Not like Google that messed up most stuff they bought like YouTube.(Thanks for Google+ :angry: )

4.It's still the same exact team working on Oculus nothing has really changed.

If it lost its focus for gaming why is John Carmack still working on it?

The hating just destroys the image of Oculus.

Hate on it if they really mess it up.

Until than wait and see.

How dare you post such reason and logic.

What if zuckerberg leaves them alone to do what they do. What know one is thinking is zuckerberg is a massive tech head and will want this to succeed.

My mobile already controls my computer my tv my bluray player. I can watch my baby sleep in another room through my phone. Plus the normal phone stuff. Yet know one has complained about Samsung HTC controlling their information or their other devices.

Give zuckerberg the benefit until he interferes. He is smart and realises FB share numbers are going down so he is buying security in case FB dies in the ass.

snip

My worry is privacy issues. Facebook have the whole mentality that the world should be full of public knowledge. I don't share this mentality. I like my privacy. So with that, I am be very skeptical about buying a rift from a company that I have no faith in. I am definitely going to take the wait and see approach now.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

It's more that the vision many potential customers had for Oculus, has been completely bastardised by Facebook's vision. Potentially in a number of years I can envisage an OS developed by Facebook for VR / Oculus, with integrated adverts, social media, casual games, appstore, you name it. Essentially a VR version of the mobile space right now.

Developing hardware for hardcore gamers is very different to developing hardware for the casual candy crush players. What direction, ultimately will Oculus now take, in your opinion? And will gaming companies now support the platform? Especially considering the almost universal condemnation this move has received from Gamers.

There will not be an OS for Occulus. It is a display. This is not a mobile platform.

If Facebook releases all that stuff which they might, it won't effect games. People have done things like this before, and I doubt it'll lead anywhere this time. When Facebook bought instagram it was still instagram. When google bought YouTube, they didnt change the content outright.

If I turn out to be wrong, I'm going to accept it.

This is a very sad thing. Our hopes for VR gaming now rest in the hands of Sony and their Project Morpheus. Let's hope that Sony doesn't screw it up.

Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 Gunmetal Black CPU: i7-4770k Cooler: Corsair H100i RAM: 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro GPU: ASUS Direct CUII 770 MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Hero PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000 G2

Just cause you have money doesnt mean you should buy EVERYTHING...

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram

There will not be an OS for Occulus. It is a display. This is not a mobile platform.

If Facebook releases all that stuff which they might, it won't effect games. People have done things like this before, and I doubt it'll lead anywhere this time. When Facebook bought instagram it was still instagram. When google bought YouTube, they didnt change the content outright.

If I turn out to be wrong, I'm going to accept it.

I agree with this. I doubt facebook are going to somehow force adverts onto your Oculus display and anybody thinking that is literally insane. 

Facebook may integrate some of its own services into Oculus like VR chatting or someting

But there is no reason that would make it any less effective as a gaming display - If anything they will have more money and staff to make a better product

If we want VR to be a commercial product familys can buy off the shelf in computer stores that everyone can experience for a fair price, one that can do much more than just gaming then I am all for it

Yes they may interfere but not sure why they would buy Oculus then somehow turn them into facebook? I dont think that will happen - the origional devs will still be working on gaming, just there may be some extra devs working on social integration - think glass meets gaming - 

I think having like video chat integrated in Oculus like google glass would be badass but thats just me i guess

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Facebook may integrate some of its own services into Oculus like VR chatting or someting

It isn't their services I am worried about. It's their ToS I am worried about.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

I don't see what makes some of you think that a piece of hardware will have ads.. but okay, have it your way.

Also, if FB won't interfere with the Oculus guys' plans, like in the case of Instagram & Whatsapp!.. and they only do the money dumping - that'd be great! Just that, man, in this age, there's nothing you can know for sure. Only thing we can do is wait and see..

Instagram and Whatsapp offer services which add to Facebook, photo sharing and chat messaging, mainly.

In those two instances, it's a service that Facebook wanted for their own service, they wanted to encompass everything into a singular problem, meaning Facebook becomes more enticing and they're also taking people from other services and bringing them to their own, more views for ads, more revenue. That last part is probably not the most accurate assumption, but the goal for Facebook is well, they want people using Facebook, adding Whatsapp services and connectivity along with Instagram and having them integrate is a grand incentive to use that service. Now, that's fair call, fair point, I didn't have no qualms, nor quandaries, when it came to Facebook's acquisition of the two.

However, two fold, Rift is a product, one. Secondly, it is a gaming product, first and foremost. Despite any abhorrence I hold towards the product itself, I stand by the fact that a paid game will have no advertising, Facebook, as dodgy as it may seem to some, at least know how to handle themselves in regards to business, this is why I believe they'll never infringe on the concept of advertising within a paid product.

Though, that leads into my concern, just what does Facebook want? There is always a catalyst, every single time, what drove Facebook to make this decision.

It isn't their services I am worried about. It's their ToS I am worried about.

I agree, but I don't see how that effects me playing Skyrim in VR

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I agree, but I don't see how that effects me playing Skyrim in VR

Facebook feed: ShadowCaptain is now playing Skyrim at (insert address) with his Faculus Rift.

Click here to join him

Facebook feed: ShadowCaptain is now playing Skyrim at (insert address) with his Faculus Rift.

Click here to join him

I'm fine with social integration (doubt it would share my home address out that I wouldnt be happy with) .

I mean, if i launch BF4 right now it will be like "ShadowCaptain is currently playing on UK Server 1, Paracel Storm" - Click here to join him Click here to message him - 

"Hold Shift + F1" to reply to freind request

I'm fine with social integration (doubt it would share my home address out that I wouldnt be happy with) .

I mean, if i launch BF4 right now it will be like "ShadowCaptain is currently playing on UK Server 1, Paracel Storm" - Click here to join him Click here to message him - 

"Hold Shift + F1" to reply to freind request

Gaming in the future is going mobile. There is a good chance you will be streaming the game from a central location so you could be out and about and it might tag your location at the time. It tags your location with photos at the moment. There is a big difference between facebook and bf showing your details. The friends you have on gaming sites are generally close friends that you won't mind knowing. FB is everyone you know, not just your close friends.

Gaming in the future is going mobile. There is a good chance you will be streaming the game from a central location so you could be out and about and it might tag your location at the time. It tags your location with photos at the moment. There is a big difference between facebook and bf showing your details. The friends you have on gaming sites are generally close friends that you won't mind knowing. FB is everyone you know, not just your close friends.

My facebook is just real life friends and work colleagues + the odd acquaintance 

But I know what you are saying, i'll remain on the fence on this one till further developments come 

Click here to join him

I really doubt there will be any forced integration like that, they've said you won't need to sign into facebook to use the device.

I really only see that sort of integration in cases where its already like that, ie BF4 can send FB notifications on server joins, think Steam has some form of FB integration , and the like.

Its all optional and has to be turned on.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4