Noctua NH-U14S clearance and opinions?

tihor29

I am planning to buy the noctua nh-u14s and I am wondering about the clearance of it. I am going to have a msi gd65 and a i7 4770k. My main concern is the high profile gskill 2133mhz ram. I am also opinions about a cpu cooler for a lga 1150 socket nothing is set in stone.

If you dont use push/pull you should be able to fit it all in in one orientation or another. 

Another option is to raise the fan.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I got excited when i saw this the thread title.....thought it was something about a noctua clearance sale  :(

I got excited when i saw this the thread title.....thought it was something about a noctua clearance sale  :(

Now that I look at it I might want to make that more clear

I have an MSI Z87-GD65 and Intel 4670 with a Noctua NH-U14S running dual fans with no problem whatsoever with it mounted in a stock manner, excellent cooler also. The Noctua site shows no issues with the MB and NH-U14S. I'm running Crucial Tactical which isn't that high otherwise first ram slot might be blocked.

with the Noctua U14S no problem with high profile ram. i know some one who has this cooler with kingston Beast, thats alot bigger ram, then your G.skills.

Also push pull no problem at all.

High profile ram, mostly become an issue with dual tower heatsinks, like the Noctua NH-D14 or the Phanteks PH-TC14PE.

Grtz Sintezza :D

high-profile RAM can clash with the u14s push fan depending on your mobo and fan configuration. I made a couple posts on my pcpartpicker build (http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/I2z) explaining the clearance and how it all fits together.. have a look at the pictures and read my comments below the build

apologies if linking to my build is frowned upon.. too lazy to clip, condense, and repost the whole deal at the moment

edit: my username on pcpartpicker is pikguard and my conversation with BigBoss94 is the one where I'm discussing the RAM clearance

@tihor29, only first PCIex1 slot might be blocked. Nothing else. I run it in push towards top of case, so heatsink itself is over my RipjawX sticks. There's good 3+mm between it and sticks and they are in 1&3 slots. Before that I had it normal way and still there was enough space.

See

th_IMG_2646.jpg

Normal

th_IMG_2648.jpg

Push to top

As for performace. There is no difference between push and pull. In my case I had 2 degree drop changing orientation of heatsink. I idle at 37C (ambient 22C), fan running just under 800rpm. Under game stress its around 60C, fan around 1500rpm. Under full stress with current clocks/volts/fan settings I get 75C. And with one fan I can't hear it over my GPU noise.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv