Viewing 2 PCs on separate screen simultaneously possible?

Ali18

Technical question here: I am trying to see if I can view 2 pcs secondary output on a separate monitor at the same time. The PCs will still have their primary displays, so this will be a secondary output for each. 

I looked at KVMs but those only switch between the primary output from PC and dont need input control. Having both on same screen would be ideal like in a split screen but switching between the two would be fine. 

The PCs are desktops with HDMI and VGA out. Im thinking an HDMI splitter from each pc into a switch or similar, or maybe use the VGA out for primary display and the HDMI into a switch from each tower?

You can display input from 2 different sources side by side if the monitor supports a feature called Picture by Picture (PbP).

However you cannot use splitters from HDMI or VGA, you need a separate port for each display output.

21 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

You can display input from 2 different sources side by side if the monitor supports a feature called Picture by Picture (PbP).

However you cannot use splitters from HDMI or VGA, you need a separate port for each display output.

So can I use the VGA and HDMI outputs at the same time? Or is that hardware dependent? They are not dedicated GPU, older towers with 4th gen i5s.

1 hour ago, Ali18 said:

Technical question here: I am trying to see if I can view 2 pcs secondary output on a separate monitor at the same time. The PCs will still have their primary displays, so this will be a secondary output for each. 

I looked at KVMs but those only switch between the primary output from PC and dont need input control. Having both on same screen would be ideal like in a split screen but switching between the two would be fine. 

The PCs are desktops with HDMI and VGA out. Im thinking an HDMI splitter from each pc into a switch or similar, or maybe use the VGA out for primary display and the HDMI into a switch from each tower?

yours asking if you can have 2 PCs use 2nd display, but not the same for for both? or is my dyslexia reading for me?

13 hours ago, Elad.Evron said:

yours asking if you can have 2 PCs use 2nd display, but not the same for for both? or is my dyslexia reading for me?

He has two PCs and three monitors.

Each PC uses one monitor alone, but share the third.

OP asks if he can use the third monitor as secondary display for both PCs at the same time.

10 hours ago, Gol_D_Chris said:

OP asks if he can use the third monitor as secondary display for both PCs at the same time.

thx budd

On 10/19/2020 at 6:53 PM, Ali18 said:

In that cade you could fo it but you will need to switch inputs for the monitor every time you want to look at the other PC

12 hours ago, Gol_D_Chris said:

That is exactly it.