Seasonic FOCUS 750 Gold SSR-750FM 750W 80+ Gold POPPed and tripped the breakers

The_Geek

Seasonic FOCUS 750 Gold SSR-750FM 750W 80+ Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Semi-Modular Compact 140 mm Size Power Supply

With a loud POP, it tripped the UPS and the Main breaker for the room when no one was using the PC.

Seasonic is supposed to be one of the best PSU's but this is just crazzy.

Be warned, although it comes with a 7 yr warranty, it could have really damaged the MB or other parts of the PC.

This is just freaking Crazy.

17 minutes ago, The_Geek said:

Seasonic FOCUS 750 Gold SSR-750FM 750W 80+ Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Semi-Modular Compact 140 mm Size Power Supply

With a loud POP, it tripped the UPS and the Main breaker for the room when no one was using the PC.

Seasonic is supposed to be one of the best PSU's but this is just crazzy.

Be warned, although it comes with a 7 yr warranty, it could have really damaged the MB or other parts of the PC.

This is just freaking Crazy.

Depends on the model of PSU actually, they make excellent ones, good ones and not so good ones just like all of the others.

Did the PSU turn back on?

Did you flip the switch on the back off then on again?

If it's dead just get in contact with Seasonic and RMA it.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

5 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

Depends on the model of PSU actually, they make excellent ones, good ones and not so good ones just like all of the others.

Did the PSU turn back on?

Did you flip the switch on the back off then on again?

If it's dead just get in contact with Seasonic and RMA it.

If it has tripped the breakers and made a loud pop, I would absolutely not try to turn the PSU back on, at least not with the PC still connected.

Just now, Sakkura said:

If it has tripped the breakers and made a loud pop, I would absolutely not try to turn the PSU back on, at least not with the PC still connected.

Good point, but I think it's dead so I likely won't work anyway.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

Those older Seasonic Focus PSUs are known to have power issues, though usually only at very high loads.

Seasonic have discontinued and replaced the series entirely.  If you have a reason to RMA it they'll replace it with a new Focus GX model.

2 hours ago, The_Geek said:

Seasonic is supposed to be one of the best PSU's

I know, right?!?!?

47 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

I know, right?!?!?

The Focus had issues from the beginning...

Never liked that PSU, reason why I never got one..

Thanks guys for all the comments, I did take out the PSU and did not try to troubleshoot while still in the PC.

But it is dead as a door knob, tested it with a PSU tester, and No juice in any of the terminals.

I have started an RMA process, so let's see what they send me back.

Yesterday, got a NZXT C750 - NP-C750M - 750 Watt PSU - 80+ Gold Certified, and reassembled the PC.

It was a tense moment when I was turning on the PC... not knowing what to expect, but glad to say everything is fine, checked all the functions and temps, voltages and all are in range.

Is there a site or a list of PSU's that are good, better, best... from experience and not from Tech companies? That would help when someone starts to get the components together for a new build or a replacement.

Let's see what happens...

Stay Safe !!!

3 hours ago, The_Geek said:

Thanks guys for all the comments, I did take out the PSU and did not try to troubleshoot while still in the PC.

But it is dead as a door knob, tested it with a PSU tester, and No juice in any of the terminals.

I have started an RMA process, so let's see what they send me back.

Yesterday, got a NZXT C750 - NP-C750M - 750 Watt PSU - 80+ Gold Certified, and reassembled the PC.

It was a tense moment when I was turning on the PC... not knowing what to expect, but glad to say everything is fine, checked all the functions and temps, voltages and all are in range.

Is there a site or a list of PSU's that are good, better, best... from experience and not from Tech companies? That would help when someone starts to get the components together for a new build or a replacement.

Let's see what happens...

Stay Safe !!!

Yeah, Tier List at the top of this forum.

53 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

Yeah, Tier List at the top of this forum.

4 hours ago, The_Geek said:

Just make sure you view the Google Sheet tied to the list so you understand why the units are ranked the way they are, etc.

So is this NZXT C750 - NP-C750M - 750 Watt PSU - 80+ Gold Certified considered good?

ASUS x470 Prime

R7 2700x

RTX2060

NoctuaD15 cooler

64 GB RAM

No overclocking ( little bit on the CPU to 4GH across all cores)

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/12/2020 at 6:08 PM, Netherspark said:

Those older Seasonic Focus PSUs are known to have power issues, though usually only at very high loads.

Seasonic have discontinued and replaced the series entirely.  If you have a reason to RMA it they'll replace it with a new Focus GX model.

Well, they sent the same PSU model back, ( replacement) But I am not sure I can trust it to put it back in the PC. Do you have the link where they are discontinuing the 750FM series? I did not get back the GX series as you had stated....

On 10/14/2020 at 3:46 AM, The_Geek said:

So is this NZXT C750 - NP-C750M - 750 Watt PSU - 80+ Gold Certified considered good?

It's pretty much exact same thing as Seasonic Focus GX.

19 hours ago, The_Geek said:

Well, they sent the same PSU model back, ( replacement) But I am not sure I can trust it to put it back in the PC. Do you have the link where they are discontinuing the 750FM series? I did not get back the GX series as you had stated....

Thing is newer Focus revisions rebranded as GM/GX still have FM/FX in the model code on the label, that's stated on the box ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

4 hours ago, Juular said:

It's pretty much exact same thing as Seasonic Focus GX.

Thing is newer Focus revisions rebranded as GM/GX still have FM/FX in the model code on the label, that's stated on the box ?

Did not get the box, just the PSU in a generic box, I think I am going to bite the bullet and leave the NZXT in the PC, I could return it till Jan31st. I will keep this as spare for any eventuality... cant trust it... maybe it is just me... I have 7-10 yr old PC's running absolutely fine and never had any issues with the PSU's in them till date... maybe they dont make em like that anymore...

1 hour ago, The_Geek said:

Did not get the box, just the PSU in a generic box

So it's a refurb, that's from retailer or Seasonic themselves ? How old it was ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

1 hour ago, Juular said:

So it's a refurb, that's from retailer or Seasonic themselves ? How old it was ?

It is from Seasonic, it was less than a year old