Asus ROG Strix 3080 or Asus TUF 3080

MagpieMate

I'm having trouble choosing between the two. I Strix is a significant premium ($300AUD) for better cooling solution, overclocking headroom, voltage, rgb etc.

The TUF I've seen very positive review on it so I'm not really sure which is the better value.

Strix has higher binning, better cooling, triple 8pin for higher power limit, dual bios and onboard fan headers that are controlled by GPU thermals.

generally speaking, the Strix is their high end line-up, And TUF sort of moved into the mid enthusiast level now.

RTX 3080 TUF it's clear that it isn't just a reference card and based on the all MLCC layout it's going to be much more stable than any other AIB 3080 except for strix 3080 which is will probably have slightly better performance due to binning and firmware. I don't expect to see THAT huge of a performance difference. 

If your budget allows, then the Strix is better as it looks and cools better too, but if you have a tight budget and had to choose between the 2, i'd say the TUF variant.

PLEASE TAG ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLY!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  | Motherboard: Asus TUF X570 Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8gbx2 3600Mhz | GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3080 | PSU: NZXT C850 | Case: Corsair 5000D AF | Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z63 280mm | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500Gb m.2 ssd + Samsung 860 EVO 1tb ssd | Monitor: LG 49WL95C-W | Peripherals: Logitech G815 + Razer Viper Ultimate + Razer Kraken TE | Audio: Logitech G560 

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

Get the TUF,  The Strix Honestly isnt worth that premium for marginal gains.

Accepted, you can use the extra money for something like better storage or peripherals.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  | Motherboard: Asus TUF X570 Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8gbx2 3600Mhz | GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3080 | PSU: NZXT C850 | Case: Corsair 5000D AF | Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z63 280mm | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500Gb m.2 ssd + Samsung 860 EVO 1tb ssd | Monitor: LG 49WL95C-W | Peripherals: Logitech G815 + Razer Viper Ultimate + Razer Kraken TE | Audio: Logitech G560 

Definitely the Tuf.  The price increase for the Strix is situpit.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

7 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Get the TUF,  The Strix Honestly isnt worth that premium for marginal gains.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think of the aesthetics of the tuf card? 

1 minute ago, Elijahpro3 said:

Do you have any themed build going on? Because then, the TUF suits better for a larger no. of builds as its sleek and has no fancy lighting to mess up the theme.

Also, the brush metal finish makes me wet but am a non rgb person so it's upto you xD 

1 minute ago, CouRageRC said:

Do you have any themed build going on? Because then, the TUF suits better for a larger no. of builds as its sleek and has no fancy lighting to mess up the theme.

Also, the brush metal finish makes me wet but am a non rgb person so it's upto you xD 

No real theme, just my Corsair and Asus components sync up in regards to their lighting and that can be fun to mess around with. The TUF has a matte finish with subtle RGB and looks quite sleek as you said. I just don't think the price premium justifies the Strix over the already high quality TUF.

Just now, Elijahpro3 said:

No real theme, just my Corsair and Asus components sync up in regards to their lighting and that can be fun to mess around with. The TUF has a matte finish with subtle RGB and looks quite sleek as you said. I just don't think the price premium justifies the Strix over the already high quality TUF.

Yep the price is the breaking point for me too. So i'd choose the TUF anytime. If you wanted to mess around with the lights tuf does have little rgb, so i'd go for it!

Go for TUF! Its a 3080 after all and you can save a bunch. If you dont care about aesthetics its a good buy!

26 minutes ago, CouRageRC said:

Yep the price is the breaking point for me too. So i'd choose the TUF anytime. If you wanted to mess around with the lights tuf does have little rgb, so i'd go for it!

Cheers mate, thanks for the advice.

Just now, Elijahpro3 said:

Cheers mate, thanks for the advice.

No worries! :) 

1 hour ago, Elijahpro3 said:

Believe me the novelty of RGB wears off quickly. Once you have gone through the hoops of setting up the RGB software (regardless of brands), you'd be happy to just settle on static colour and call it a day. Maybe that's just me. 

2 hours ago, CouRageRC said:

Strix has higher binning, better cooling, triple 8pin for higher power limit, dual bios and onboard fan headers that are controlled by GPU thermals.

generally speaking, the Strix is their high end line-up, And TUF sort of moved into the mid enthusiast level now.

RTX 3080 TUF it's clear that it isn't just a reference card and based on the all MLCC layout it's going to be much more stable than any other AIB 3080 except for strix 3080 which is will probably have slightly better performance due to binning and firmware. I don't expect to see THAT huge of a performance difference. 

If your budget allows, then the Strix is better as it looks and cools better too, but if you have a tight budget and had to choose between the 2, i'd say the TUF variant.

TUF also has dual bios just sayin.

From what we've seen this generation OCing doesn't give that much performance increase.

The Strix is better built and has more OC headroom, I'd probably take it over the TUF it it was 50$/€ more.

However ASUS is asking a hefty premium for it, I guess they kinda shot themselfs in the leg because if the TUF wasn't this well built it might be worth it.

As things are the TUF is already a very solid card, especially at it's price point, so I'd go with that.

Normally I prefer Strix but they priced too high for the 3000 series.  Ended up getting the FTW3 but with 5% off from MC which put it at around 769.  Would have gotten the TUF its that was all they had.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator