FreeDOS "Bad command or filename", trying to update BIOS

LloydLynx

My friend gave me this ancient gaming PC. It was a mangled mess, but I got it all rebuild. After a couple days of troubleshooting I'm pretty sure the CMOS chip has bit rot. I finally got a freedos USB to boot up with the BIOS update files... and I have no idea how to use DOS. From what I can find, I'm pretty sure this is right, but it's obviously not right because it's not working. How do I run NF79P10.exe, or the .bin equivalent?

20201001_161249.jpg

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

FreeDOS supports line completion with the Tab key. Start typing the name of the executable, press Tab and Enter.

This prevents typos, like the one that you made with the name of the executable.

2 minutes ago, badreg said:

FreeDOS supports line completion with the Tab key. Start typing the name of the executable, press Tab and Enter.

This prevents typos, like the one that you made with the name of the executable.

Oh wow, didn't see that. I tried to run NF79_P10.exe, and it returns "This program cannot be run in DOS mode.". So, idk what I'm gonna do since I can't install Windows on this thing in its current state.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

15 minutes ago, TheJooomes said:

Oh wow, didn't see that. I tried to run NF79_P10.exe, and it returns "This program cannot be run in DOS mode.". So, idk what I'm gonna do since I can't install Windows on this thing in its current state.

You can manually prepare a bootable USB drive to flash the .bin file. Here is an ancient forum post with the instructions. You will need to do your own digging and figure out how to do this with current tools.

https://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=15265&high

While FreeDOS is a huge improvement over MS-DOS it is still DOS with it's limitations... Mind you I was a real DOS diehard back in the day... Granted I slowly converted over GUI staring with OS/2 Ver3 Warp.