CPU usage high while gaming

My pc had gotten a complete motherboard change and so i changed the cpu to an intel core i5 9600k 3.70Ghz and upgraded to 16 gbs of ram since i used to have 8 gb and what ive noticed is since this change my pc randomly freezes for like a good 20 seconds out of nowhere also if i ever play games like cs go or team fortress 2 my cpu immediately shoots to the 90-100% usage and im trying to figure out why how is it possible for me to upgrade to a better cpu and memory and have issues that i used to not have it makes no sense. If anyone has any information or advice on what i should do that would be greatly appreciated since i am really new to computer hardware. 

The image below shows when i opened team fortress 2 it skyrockets to basically max capacity and once i closed it my cpu usage went back to the normal range.

Capture.PNG

Well, what have you done so far to rule out hardware. That is a good start there. Can you provide more details? Also, are there any kinda of logs in the system events under event viewer?

Start going and ruling things out starting with most possible to least possible.

Please provide a full spec list of your machine as well. That may be helpful. 

Kinda in order here:

Peripherals
OS
Drive

Board
CPU (rare)
Memory (sometimes)
Power Supply

Try unplugging all peripherals and check. 

If fine, move on

OS, have you done a clean isntall>? What is the history of the Windows install? How old is it? Has there been updates recently? Did you upgrade to a newer version of Windows 10?

Drive - Have you ran a surface scan on the drive, make sure there are no bad blocks> Download HD tune and make sure that there are no weird performance on the drive. Strang fluctations, very low minimal speed, etc. If you are unsure, post a picture of the HD tune performance and @ me.  Also, What are the smart values? How does that look as well. Crystal disk info is great for this. before taking a screenshot if you are unsure, be sure to go to function > advanced feature > Value and change to [DEC] so it is human readable. 

You mentioned the board got swapped out. Why? What board?

Memory - Have you ran memtestx86 on the system?

How new and what model/make is your PSU?

I work in computer repair so this is my thought process laid bare. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

@Pickles - Lord of the Jar  

Windows

AMD Radeon R9 380 series 

mpg z390

intel core i5 9600k

Corsair Vengeance LPX series 16GB 3.0 Ghz DDR4

ATNG Smart ATM-600FB 600W 80+ ATX

39 minutes ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

OS, have you done a clean isntall>? What is the history of the Windows install? How old is it? Has there been updates recently? Did you upgrade to a newer version of Windows 10?

pardon me for not knowing so much but im not sure what a clean install of windows really is i dont know the history of the install as for updates my windows updates frequently i think but if there is something i should check with windows lmk

1 hour ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

Drive - Have you ran a surface scan on the drive, make sure there are no bad blocks> Download HD tune and make sure that there are no weird performance on the drive. Strang fluctations, very low minimal speed, etc. If you are unsure, post a picture of the HD tune performance and @ me.  Also, What are the smart values? How does that look as well. Crystal disk info is great for this. before taking a screenshot if you are unsure, be sure to go to function > advanced feature > Value and change to [DEC] so it is human readable. 

I did use HD tune performance and i did a health scan as for the performance i think its ok 

Memory - Have you ran memtestx86 on the system?

i am not quite sure how to use memstx should i look into it more?

How new and what model/make is your PSU?

my psu is a ATNG Smart ATM-600FB 600W 80+ ATX and ive had it ever since i got my pc so its been around a good 5 1/2 years or so

sorry for replying so late thanks for responding

38 minutes ago, Dankrio said:

pardon me for not knowing so much but im not sure what a clean install of windows really is i dont know the history of the install as for updates my windows updates frequently i think but if there is something i should check with windows lmk

my psu is a ATNG Smart ATM-600FB 600W 80+ ATX and ive had it ever since i got my pc so its been around a good 5 1/2 years or so

Well...that's a good starting point.

What CPU + motherboard did you have before?

When you swapped motherboard and CPU, did you uninstall the old motherboard/chipset drivers belonging to the old motherboard?

This includes:

• Motherboard chipset drivers
  • Ethernet / LAN / WiFi drivers
  • Any Bluetooth drivers
  • Audio drivers
  • SATA drivers
  • etc

Given the symptoms you are experiencing, this sounds to be a software related issue.

E.g. changing the motherboard + CPU has introduced some bugs into your WIndows install.

This DOES happen.

Clean install = nuking your current Windows install by wiping the SSD/HDD, and starting fresh.

If you have another SDD/HDD (other the the drive Windows is installed on), you can back up your data before wiping.

History as your Windows install, as in, how long have you had this image of Windows?

Did you install this current version of Windows when you first built your PC?

Did you transfer it from one (or multiple) system, to eventually into this current set-up?

That power supply is not a good sign...given WALMART (and other shady looking sites) sells it on their site for $50 USD.

Given the "marketed" DC output rating, that is not a very good quality PSU.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

16 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

What CPU + motherboard did you have before?

I had a 970A SLI krait edtion motherboard 

and i use to have a amd fx im not really sure which so i have a photo of it if it does you anygood not really sure how to tell what it was

17 hours ago, -rascal- said:

When you swapped motherboard and CPU, did you uninstall the old motherboard/chipset drivers belonging to the old motherboard?

This includes:

• Motherboard chipset drivers
  • Ethernet / LAN / WiFi drivers
  • Any Bluetooth drivers
  • Audio drivers
  • SATA drivers
  • etc

i actually had a friend change the stuff in my pc so im not really sure is there any way i could check?

Given the symptoms you are experiencing, this sounds to be a software related issue.

E.g. changing the motherboard + CPU has introduced some bugs into your WIndows install.

This DOES happen.

Clean install = nuking your current Windows install by wiping the SSD/HDD, and starting fresh.

If you have another SDD/HDD (other the the drive Windows is installed on), you can back up your data before wiping.

for the longest time i thought that it was a software issue aswell is there anyway i can check how thats the problem? How do i clean install does that mean I have to  reset the pc completely cause i have no problem doing that if it resolves the issue.

History as your Windows install, as in, how long have you had this image of Windows?

Did you install this current version of Windows when you first built your PC?

Did you transfer it from one (or multiple) system, to eventually into this current set-up?

ok so i actually bought this pc originally from cyberpower pc and it came with windows so i assume ive been using the same windows for the past 5 years even when i got my motherboard changed im not really sure if i got a different version of windows. If the windows software i have is the problem how would i be able to fix it?

That power supply is not a good sign...given WALMART (and other shady looking sites) sells it on their site for $50 USD.

Given the "marketed" DC output rating, that is not a very good quality PSU.

Is it possible for a bad quality psu to make my pc freeze and have high cpu and memory usage while gaming?

Thank you for responding if you think there is something i should try pls lmk it will help me out a lot

image0.jpg

48 minutes ago, Dankrio said:

I had a 970A SLI krait edtion motherboard 

and i use to have a amd fx im not really sure which so i have a photo of it if it does you anygood not really sure how to tell what it was

i actually had a friend change the stuff in my pc so im not really sure is there any way i could check?

for the longest time i thought that it was a software issue aswell is there anyway i can check how thats the problem? How do i clean install does that mean I have to  reset the pc completely cause i have no problem doing that if it resolves the issue.

ok so i actually bought this pc originally from cyberpower pc and it came with windows so i assume ive been using the same windows for the past 5 years even when i got my motherboard changed im not really sure if i got a different version of windows. If the windows software i have is the problem how would i be able to fix it?

Is it possible for a bad quality psu to make my pc freeze and have high cpu and memory usage while gaming?

Thank you for responding if you think there is something i should try pls lmk it will help me out a lot

Okay, that *can* cause SOME glitches.

You are going from 2011 ~ 2013 AMD, to Intel platform.

Usually, going from Intel-to-Intel is fine ... once you switch from AMD to Intel, or Intel over to AMD, you want to reinstall Windows.

Only way to check the drivers, and basically go into 'Apps & Programs' .... or C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) and see if you have any leftover drivers from your AMD and FX-8320 combo.

No.

Clean install is DIFFERENT from the resetting the PC from within Windows.

Like I said, reinstalling Windows ... as in getting a Windows 10 USB stick / DVD and installing it from scratch ... like if the HDD/SSD was a blank drive.

Using the reset within Windows is not the same thing...

So not using what is in the screenshot:

image.png.1cc1fb0c93151afec29d43b03be6a567.png

Like I said, reinstalling Windows will wipe the entire drive clean, so back-up all your data what you want to keep before doing this.

If you don't know how to reinstall Windows, probably a good idea to ask a friend, or someone who knows how to do it.

If it is Windows that is bugged out due to system platform change (going from AMD FX, to Intel 9th Gen), you'll need to reinstall it.

When Windows is first installed, it collects a some hardware information, and writes it into the registry during the Windows install process.

If what was written in before doesn't match what is there now (e.g. MSi 970 SLI Krait = code 0x1221, and your new new motherboard = code 0x6886)

Then Windows might be like...WTF is happening??

Just an example.

Spoiler

When I went from socket AM3 motherboard + AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, to a socket AM3+ motherboard + FX-8350...

I was able to reuse my Windows install?

Multiple graphics card upgrades/swaps as fine too.

When I jumped ship from my AMD FX-8350 to Intel X99 with i7-6800K ... I had to reinstall Windows -- or I did it anyways, didn't bother to re-use.

Plus I has a new SSD to use.

When my i7-6800K died, and switched to i7-8086K on a different Intel platform/socket, I was able to reuse Windows.

It didn't complain.

So my CURRENT Windows 10 install survived going from Intel X99 (i7-6800K) to Intel Z390 (i7-8086K) .... and it's from 2017 (?)

*DID* remove all the old drivers belonging to the X99 motherboard and i7-6800K CPU, though.

PSU can be an issue, since the power requirement from an FX-8320 to a i5-9600K is a little different, and how it behaves, what how much power/voltage/current it requests from the PSU, etc.

I'm leaning more towards Windows install being the issue (e.g. software), rather than hardware (e.g. PSU), though.

If it's Windows, then you save the money of not needed to buy a new PSU...even though it's a questionable unit.

Could be something you can consider upgrading in the future (e.g. couple months down the line), but not necessarily IMMEDIATELY.

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]

• Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Ok im going to attempt to do a clean install of windows 10 do you think that if i follow this video i should be fine?

if this is not how you do a clean install of windows 10 if you can pls leave me a referal link to a video on a correct way to clean install windows 10. Again thanks for all the help :)

4 hours ago, Dankrio said:

Ok im going to attempt to do a clean install of windows 10 do you think that if i follow this video i should be fine?

if this is not how you do a clean install of windows 10 if you can pls leave me a referal link to a video on a correct way to clean install windows 10. Again thanks for all the help :)

The video covers it pretty good.

Yes, that is what you want to do.

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz

• Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932