fastest refresh rate in existence and at what point does it not matter.

hello linus tech tip forum members and l.t.t employees. i know there are many review videos and guides but they do not directly answer my question.

my questions are as follows, what is the fastest refresh rate possible with current hardware even if its not available to consumers/commercial aka experimental and or not yet released. the second question is what is the fastest refresh rate display available to buy as of 2020. my third question is after what refresh rate are improvements not noticeable to the average user. for instance im running an old hp 22bw monitor which as far as i know is 1080p at 60hz and it looks just fine to me even comparable to my brothers  monitor which is a (im not sure) but i do know it is capable of 144hz at i think 4k? i  will find out the specs later and post them. in fact i think his desktop looks blurry compared to mine.

thanks for who ever comments and answers my questions forums are for discussion right?

Edited by conntech
users complained about font choice

please edit your post, and change the font to default, it's really painful to read it

11 minutes ago, conntech said:

what is the fastest refresh rate possible with current hardware even if its not available to consumers/commercial aka experimental and or not yet released

i've seen and heard 480Hz, but that's few years ago now

what is the fastest refresh rate display available to buy as of 2020.

as far as i know, 360Hz

what refresh rate are improvements not noticeable to the average user.

commonly it's agreed on 144hz, but personally i can feel the difference between 144 and 240 (i own a 240) even though i cant tell visually (my game doesnt pan a lot, so "smoothness" isnt too obvious)

for instance im running an old hp 22bw monitor which as far as i know is 1080p at 60hz and it looks just fine to me even comparable to my brothers  monitor which is a (im not sure) but i do know it is capable of 144hz at i think 4k?

some people cant tell between 144hz and 60hz by first glance, but if you used 144hz for a bit, and go back to 60hz, you'll feel it

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

thanks that was quick, so it's basically like using an ancient crt and then switching to a flatscreen for a while you now notice that the flatscreen is a millions time better

also is it true that ips displays look better, in my opinion an i.p.s dispay is better compared to l.c.d.s but again my budgets small so i get old equipment.

18 minutes ago, conntech said:

what is the fastest refresh rate possible with current hardware even if its not available to consumers/commercial aka experimental and or not yet released.

Depends on the game, the resolution, the graphic settings, and more. Some games barely get 30fps with a 2080ti and others get thousands.

19 minutes ago, conntech said:

the second question is what is the fastest refresh rate display available to buy as of 2020.

Highest monitor refresh rate I have seen is 360hz.

19 minutes ago, conntech said:

my third question is after what refresh rate are improvements not noticeable to the average user.

From what I have heard, above 144 has minimal improvements. But it does depend on the person. For instance, I am used to 144 but also have a 300 and 60 screen and I can tell no difference response wise between them, only image quality wise is there a difference for me.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

one more question. if my display refreshes faster does that mean i would have an advantage over someone with a lower end set up like  on call of duty modern warfare . for instance if it  refreshes more i see stuff faster on my display than some one with 60hz or is that not the case?

Just now, conntech said:

one more question. if my display refreshes faster does that mean i would have an advantage over someone with a lower end set up like  on call of duty modern warfare . for instance if it  refreshes more i see stuff faster on my display than some one with 60hz or is that not the case?

Yes, you'll see stuff slightly faster and more often. It's not usually enough to give you a competitive advantage unless you're getting contract offers from pro teams.