AMD CPU+GPU Combo

Ozone71

So we all sit here with baited breath, wondering about AMD's CPU and GPU announcements due in October, whilst looking at the [un]available 3000 GPU's on offer from NVIDIA. I have been wondering if there may be an advantage to a full AMD combo, rather than an NVIDA/AMD pairing.

My techie brain says no.... any CPU will talk to any GPU via the generic PCIe bus and there should not be any brand advantage. That said, NVIDIA was talking up RTX IO, to bypass the CPU and read directly from PCIe Gen 4 attached SSDs for faster load times. This sounds like a neat trick to build into the GPU and to take advantage of PCIe Gen 4. Given that AMD supports PCIe Gen 4 (and Intel does not) and that AMD is rumored to have "Infinity Cache" on the new GPU's to compliment the Infinity fabric on the CPU's which NVIDA will not have, it makes me wonder what tricks they may come up with to support a full team red system?

Could AMD squeeze out a few extra % of performance when pairing AMD CPU with AMD GPU over any other combination?

11 minutes ago, Ozone71 said:

Could AMD squeeze out a few extra % of performance when pairing AMD CPU with AMD GPU over any other combination?

Going from the past few generations AMD haven’t been able to compete at the high end, so no. 

28 minutes ago, Ozone71 said:

Even if they can, would those few percents of extra performance matter?

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

21 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

Even if they can, would those few percents of extra performance matter?

Depends on "few" and the price/performance ratio.
I've seen an overclocking attempt of the 3080 that only gained 3% and reports that the 3090 may only be as low as 10% faster than a 3090. Also consider the slight edge that Intel still has over Ryzen for gaming - is that "only a few percent"?

• If an AMD CPU+GPU pair is only 3% faster than an AMD CPU + NVIDIA GPU for the same price ... it may be enough to tip the scales.
  • If an AMD CPU+GPU pair regains enough FPS to match an Intel CPU + NVIDIA GPU for a lower price ... you would get AMD and get a strong work rig
  • If  "few" is a  +10% gain, well that's similar to an overclocking, without raising power supply or thermals - and I am sure people would pay extra for that. (3090 price >> 3080 price)

Sometimes, that few percent will count.

Do you have source for leaks that supported your claim that a full red system would have some performance advantage?

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

3 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

Do you have source for leaks that supported your claim that a full red system would have some performance advantage?

I never claimed that it did.

I posed the question - "Could AMD have a trick up their sleeve that gives a performance boost to an AMD CPU/GPU combo."

No claim, no statement, just a discussion question.

1 hour ago, Ozone71 said:

I never claimed that it did.

I posed the question - "Could AMD have a trick up their sleeve that gives a performance boost to an AMD CPU/GPU combo."

No claim, no statement, just a discussion question.

To which answer is no. Only board partners like MSI or EVGA have had some benefits for using combinations. And those have been mainly about RGB and overclocking syncs.

AMD graphics department is so different from the CPU department, that we might as well still call them ATI. Maybe in future AMD can make system which would include all parts, as Intel is trying to start. But for now AMD having in-house GPU development means their APUs are killing it for budget gaming.

Edited by LogicalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv