Thoughts on this build?

trieubs

Budget (including currency): Want to limit CPU, mobo, ram to about $400 CAD. No fixed budget for PSU, case, storage - I don't mind spending more on a nice case/PSU since I won't be replacing these for a long time

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mainly programming for school, running multiple VMs is probably the most intensive task I'll do. I'll be gaming but only on Geforce NOW or light stuff like league of legends

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I'm upgrading from a laptop but I already have peripherals. Currently have a 1440p 144hz monitor but won't be gaming much as of now since I'm busy with school. I want to go with a 650w PSU though since I might add a GPU in the future.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/FywRf9

CPU: Intel Core i5-9400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($219.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B365M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($104.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($89.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($79.98 @ Amazon Canada) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($161.72 @ Amazon Canada) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($149.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Total: $806.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-20 23:12 EDT-0400

Edit: Just want to confirm, this mobo won't require me to do a BIOS update for the 9400 correct?

No GPU?

You might see more performance from an AMD CPU with built in graphics, but honestly I don't pay much attention to that segment of the market. Might be worth looking into though. That's a really inflated price for that PSU, you might be able to find something of the same quality for less. Have you looked at the LTT PSU Tier List?

Are you in a hurry to buy, or is your laptop still working? If you're not in a hurry wait for Black Friday.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Seconding @dizmo, definitely look at an AMD 3000 series CPU (a ryzen 5 3600 for example). That paired with a B450 motherboard will give you lots of upgrade options even if that socket is discontinued. You'd have to throw in a dedicated GPU then, or you could go for one of the ryzen CPUs with integrated graphics.

Also, a 650w PSU is way more than you would need on that build.

R9 3900x, 32gb 3200mhz corsair dominator RGB, 1070Ti Founders Edition, HP 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD

No GPU?

Integrated GPU will be enough for my uses as I won't be gaming much until maybe next summer

I considered going with the Ryzen 5 3400g but I'm going to be limited to B450 boards that can do a bios update without an older AMD CPU and it seems like a lot of those boards are going to cost $150+ CAD which I feel doesn't make sense to spend when I'm only spending $200 on my CPU. Or I could buy a X570 board which will work out of the box but those are expensive too. I don't want to deal with the BIOS update stuff since I might run into issues and I need this PC up and running in 2-3 weeks

Ryzen 5 3600 is out of my price range especially since I will need to buy a cheap GPU to go with it.

Also, a 650w PSU is way more than you would need on that build.

I know 650w is way more than I need but I might add a GPU in the near-ish future (next summer) and I don't want to purchase a new PSU if I decide to do that.

That's a really inflated price for that PSU

Is it really? Keep in mind this is in CAD so its about 110 USD.

Any PSU recommendations? I've taken a look at the tier list but the list is really extensive and I'm not quite sure where to begin