My RX 470 Running Hot (>85 Celcius)

Neauvalt

I have rx 470 that running more than 85 celcius when gaming, how can I lower my gpu temp? should I replace the thermal paste? Any suggestion what thermal paste should I use?

What’s the fan curve like? Does the temperatures change if you remove your cases side panel?

First see if temps improve when you max out the fans and give it good operating conditions, such as access to fresh air and such..

If temps are still high after that, then maybe re-paste it. Cryonaut from Thermal Grizzly is the best silicon based thermal paste. It could be that the old paste has completely lost its thermally conductive properties since it's so old at this point.

4 minutes ago, gloop said:

What’s the fan curve like? Does the temperatures change if you remove your cases side panel?

I'm running at 80% fan speed. I have not tried to remove my side panel. Let me try it for a moment

Might be time to replace that TIM. Other than that, depending on cooler, see if there is anything obstructing the air flow. As for TIM suggestions, can't go wrong with Thermal Grizzly, but honestly if it is really dried out badly, any TIM you have kicking around should do the trick.

Blow the dust from the fins of the heatsink.

By default, the card should dynamically adjust the fan speeds to keep the card below 85c ... it won't spin the fans much higher to keep the temperature under 80-85c. For the chip, running at such temperature is safe.

If you want to see the card's built in settings, you can download the bios of your card using AMD/ATI Winflash tool  and then use a program like SRBPolaris to open the downloaded bios and check the parameters stored in the bios.

IF you don't want to download the bios from your video card, you can probably find it on Techpowerup : https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architecture=&manufacturer=&model=RX+470&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since=

For example, for the Sapphire Nitro card with 4 GB ram and 2 fans : https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/190672/sapphire-rx470-4096-161012

Here's how the bios is configured on the Fans department for the above card:

As you can see it's configured to stop fan at below 40c, to aim for 74c (target temperature) but allow up 85c (high temperature) and to shut down the card if it reaches 109c (if the fans are seized/dead/locked etc) to protect the card.

It's also configured to limit the max rpm to 2150rpm  even though the fans may go up to 3500-4000 rpm (read the label off the fans and see their actual capability), because they want the card to not be noisy (and because high rpm on fans can make them break faster)

image.png.3a6773c32624abef63b2423a221972d4.png

21 minutes ago, gloop said:

i tried to remove the side panel and it does lower my gpu temp by 5-7 celcius now my gpu is running at 80 celcius.

19 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

First see if temps improve when you max out the fans and give it good operating conditions, such as access to fresh air and such..

If temps are still high after that, then maybe re-paste it. Cryonaut from Thermal Grizzly is the best silicon based thermal paste. It could be that the old paste has completely lost its thermally conductive properties since it's so old at this point.

any other thermal paste suggestion? in my country it cost like 30$

3 minutes ago, Neauvalt said:

any other thermal paste suggestion? in my country it cost like 30$

hmm.. Arctic silver MX4? It's pretty good..

You also have Cooler Master, Antec, AeroCool.. 

I've used Cooler Master - it's good. But merely 50% as conductive as Thermal Grizzly.. MX4 is also very good, many tech youtubers use it.

Take your pick. The brand won't really matter that much in the grand scheme of things. Anything will be better than dried out TIM.

Arctic Silver 5, MX-4, even MX-2 will be perfectly fine.

Also Noctua NT-H1 is fine but kinda expensive, you pay for branding.

Should be less than 10$ (for the Arctic brand ones)