Are kiwis getting ripped off with the 3080?

Hey there everyone,

Like most people I was excited to see the new 30 series but seeing the prices here in NZ has me questioning whether we're getting ripped off. They're $699 USD in the US converting that to NZD is $1033.63 adding 15% GST would be $1188

Assuming import costs divided by unit, I still don't know how stores are getting their prices to the $1500s and $1700s without massive mark ups

Am I missing something?
https://www.pbtech.co.nz/category/components/video-cards/nvidia-desktop-graphics-cards/geforce-rtx-3080

Only the Founders Edition is $699. Cards from board partners are more expensive everywhere else as well, so you'd have to compare their pricing, not the base price.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

welcome to economics.

the basics of why certain countries pay more, since it's never as simple as just a simple currency conversion.

• import costs.
  • national logistics costs.
  • distribution agreements.
  • local licenses (for things like regulatory compliance which can include RMA terms to ensure they meet the selling country's local Consumer laws).
  • Average wages. 
  • State of the local market.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

25 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Only the Founders Edition is $699. Cards from board partners are more expensive everywhere else as well, so you'd have to compare their pricing, not the base price.

A few AIB cards are at MSRP too. The Asus TUF(non OC) and MSI Ventus are two examples. Although their prices got jacked up at this moment.

40 minutes ago, Deli said:

A few AIB cards are at MSRP too. The Asus TUF(non OC) and MSI Ventus are two examples. Although their prices got jacked up at this moment.

Hm, ok. I was going by prices I see here in Europe, and there are zero cards that have the same price as FE.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

5 hours ago, Arika S said:

welcome to economics.

the basics of why certain countries pay more, since it's never as simple as just a simple currency conversion.

• import costs.
  • local licenses (for things like regulatory compliance which can include RMA terms to ensure they meet the selling country's local Consumer laws).
  • Average wages. 

5 hours ago, Arika S said:

welcome to economics.

• import costs.
  • Average wages. 

I know the import costs for a single unit would be roughly $55.71 so that brings it to roughly $1240. I don't expect that price but to see them in the high 1500s to 1700s per unit when they're shipped in bulk really seems like its a bit high even if we take into account distributors

6 hours ago, Krisp-kiwi said:

Hey there everyone,

Like most people I was excited to see the new 30 series but seeing the prices here in NZ has me questioning whether we're getting ripped off. They're $699 USD in the US converting that to NZD is $1033.63 adding 15% GST would be $1188

Assuming import costs divided by unit, I still don't know how stores are getting their prices to the $1500s and $1700s without massive mark ups

Am I missing something?
https://www.pbtech.co.nz/category/components/video-cards/nvidia-desktop-graphics-cards/geforce-rtx-3080

Same thing in Australia. Evga ftw3 ultra is 1499aud. Other than fe nothing is below 1379aud.

https://www.scorptec.com.au/geforcertx3080

6 minutes ago, Krisp-kiwi said:

Think they're just cashing in because they know the demand?

Still not sure cause I didn't see the international price for these cards. But there is a possibility that they need to pay extra to get card allocation. Just an assumption. Retailers will always try to make more profit that is business but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt considering the current market. Still the price is too high I can't deny that.