Can i disable update notifications in win 10

Mark Kaine

So as per this thread 

I disabled updates in group policy which worked well since then, but today I was greeted with the dreaded red sign of "there are updates available please update". 

So I'm wondering if I can turn off these update notifications in group policy editor as well? I've seen the option but I'm unsure as always with Microsoft the descriptions can be kinda misleading or sometimes outright deceiving... 

So will this work?

PS: I (probably) disabled the notifications with SU10 for now but that is tedious as it requires a restart and also whatever you do in SU10 tends to get overwritten by windows anyway.

Btw win version is windows 10 pro 1809

Thanks.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

At some Point Windows will give you a popup reminder every hour.

Where is the Problem in updating it anyway?

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

21 minutes ago, Praesi said:

At some Point Windows will give you a popup reminder every hour.

Even if I disable notifications in GPE? Are you sure and did you try it?

I mean it's pretty self-explanatory I'm just asking because it wouldn't be the first time I got misled by windows descriptions of what certain options do (it's called "security through obscurity" btw)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

Even if I disable notifications in GPE? Are you sure and did you try it?

I mean it's pretty self-explanatory I'm just asking because it wouldn't be the first time I got misled by windows descriptions of what certain options do (it's called "security through obscurity" btw)

Yes im sure.

At some point your Version will not be supported anymore. And that is what the popup will tell you.

I think People make way too much out of possible risks from updates. In reality, its the opposite.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

12 minutes ago, Praesi said:

At some point your Version will not be supported anymore. And that is what the popup will tell you.

Alright that's when I'll nuke the update service for good - if that's the case .

Gonna be funny to get notifications from a non existent "ghost service". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

Alright that's when I'll nuke the update service for good - if that's the case .

Gonna be funny to get notifications from a non existent "ghost service". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What ever makes you happy. Not a good Idea tho.

10 hours ago, Praesi said:

What ever makes you happy

it doesn't really. what would make me happy is microsoft coming to their senses and release *standalone* security patches again like they used to (even on win 10)

10 hours ago, Praesi said:

Not a good Idea tho.

I can't update to anything higher than 1809 though because it makes both my gaming PC and my laptop sluggish and slow. tested several times. the tldr is frame drops galore, non to barely working apps, errors, sluggish behavior and loss of about 20fps on average in games (did I mention the massive random framedrops?)

so whatever you say I think not updating is the better alternative. what's the point of a *secure* system that you can't use?

and frankly I gave up trying to *fix* it which is nearly impossible anyway and also not my job , that's the job of whom that provides buggy and fucked up "updates" constantly. (1703-1803 weren't exactly great either especially with Ryzen support)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

@Praesi  so I guess you were right this is all specifically designed to annoy the user as much as possible.

But since you seem to know more than me about this, what do you think about renaming the WaaSMedicSvc.dll ?  Because I just did that and there's no "medic service" running anymore right now! 

I'm just wondering If that's it or if it'll come back (with a vengeance) 

I did not turn off the update service , which may be a mistake, but I checked and windows updates are still managed "by my organization" and automatic updates are turned off accordingly so I think it should work?

(#operation1809forever)

hopefully???

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

@Praesi  so I guess you were right this is all specifically designed to annoy the user as much as possible.

Messing with Windows files is a bad Idea in my opinion.

Even "shutup10" cant handle it, and the People who made this Tool know way more about it than i do.

Sorry, i cant help you here.

On 9/19/2020 at 4:03 PM, Praesi said:

Messing with Windows files is a bad Idea in my opinion.

Even "shutup10" cant handle it, and the People who made this Tool know way more about it than i do.

Sorry, i cant help you here.

I'd agree... and I noticed this too, windows keeps turning "auto updates 2" back on in SU10...I suppose that's windows "medic service" doing its evil work...

but I must avoid getting any updates for now as they render my PC basically unusable... it's worth it to try imo, and I have several full backups of the os drive in case something goes really wrong... lol.

however, I think my efforts so far don't look too bad but there's still some uncertainty of course for how long it'll behave...

but I understand, I was just asking as some help really couldn't hurt... I don't really know what I'm doing anyway s, "task scheduler, update orchestrator, etc" are all french to me... 

(I am very surprised I could change ownership of the medic.dll ,as I couldn't really follow the guide 1:1)

but yeah... this really sucks that Microsoft apparently is trying their hardest to turn my PC into a brick (and frankly should be illegal too)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity