PIn out for AIGO DR12 PRO PC fans

andy_man

I am building a custom water cooling pc and ordered 9 of the "AIGO DR12 PRO PC fans" and their controller off aliexpress.  The controller that comes with them only controls 8 fans.  So I figured out the pin out to use a ESP32 micro controller.

The fan connections connect to the hub with 6 pins.  Close examination shows 4 pins going to the LEDs and 2 to the fan hub.  The fans are 5v aRGB fans.

With the tab on the top, the pin out from left to right is

1. Data out
  2. Neutral
  3. Data in
  4. 5v
  5. Neutral to fan
  6. Power to Fan 5v - 12v 

Data out and Data in might be reversible, I am not 100% on this and did not test it.

What I am doing is using an ESP32 micro controller and this library https://github.com/jasoncoon/esp32-fastled-webserver

I am only directly hooking 1 fan to the ESP32 board, then in parallel going into the 8 fan controller that came with the fans.  There is a motherboard sync button that passes through my data and neutral to the other 8 fans (in parallel) 

Feel free to ask any questions, I had looked online for the pin out to these and asked the supplier in China and I could not find them.

20200823_143559.jpg

20200823_143617.jpg

Nice summary! Just a heads up for ws2812b style LEDs, the data in and out are not reversible.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the idea of making my own fan controller so that I could link it to my Google Home and control it all from there. Unfortunately whilst I understand the programming side of this project my electronics side is very limited. Do you have any recommendations where I can go to learn stuff like determining these pin outs and how to read the temps and send the data to the computer or arduino?

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have the exact same fans set. This was the first google result trying to figure out the pinout.

Is it possible to split the 6 pin connector into rgb and fan connectors, so it could be connected directly to motherbord.

On 8/24/2020 at 1:37 AM, andy_man said:

With the tab on the top, the pin out from left to right is

1. Data out
  2. Neutral
  3. Data in
  4. 5v
  5. Neutral to fan
  6. Power to Fan 5v - 12v 

You may want to double check that pinout.

The 4th pin may be RPM sensor ... pulled up internally in the fan to 5v, and going down to ground 2 times per second (2 pulses per rotation).  GROUND / COMMON would be a better term instead of "neutral", as we're not dealing with AC voltage.

Again, I'm not sure, but it would make sense  because the original fan headers are  voltage-ground-rpm-pwm  and I don't think they'd want to damage motherboards of fans if stupid end user inserts the connectors in headers with only 3 or 4 pins.

• 2 years later...
On 11/29/2020 at 7:25 PM, mariushm said:

You may want to double check that pinout.

The 4th pin may be RPM sensor ... pulled up internally in the fan to 5v, and going down to ground 2 times per second (2 pulses per rotation).  GROUND / COMMON would be a better term instead of "neutral", as we're not dealing with AC voltage.

Again, I'm not sure, but it would make sense  because the original fan headers are  voltage-ground-rpm-pwm  and I don't think they'd want to damage motherboards of fans if stupid end user inserts the connectors in headers with only 3 or 4 pins.

Yes I Agree because that particular controller have fan speed control, so the first 3 pin form the top is the argb side and the other 3 is for the fan side, because 5v argb have only 3 pins, grnd data and 5v+ the other three could be grnd fansensor 12v+.