Best free editing software for a total beginner?

Hello.

I know I can find dozens of lists on Google, but I respect you guys's opinions more than I do random websites. I know you'll be able to provide me with great insight as to why I should pick this one and not that one.

Thank you so much in advance!

Divinchi Resolve is a good starting point. (there is a more feature rich paid version)

Plus they have load of free content to teach you

Though if you are looking for long term most of the industry does use Adobe premier

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

I could recommend Davinci resolve or shotcut, personaly I like shotcut easy to learn and open source meaning you can contribute to code / review code

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

44 minutes ago, Kanna said:

meaning you can contribute to code / review code

This sounds pretty advanced. Imagine I'm just your mom, and I'll just be using the software to make cute kitten compilations. What I'm looking for the most is a noob friendly interface.

15 minutes ago, 7412 said:

This sounds pretty advanced. Imagine I'm just your mom, and I'll just be using the software to make cute kitten compilations. What I'm looking for the most is a noob friendly interface.

On PC maybe you could get an old copy of windows live editor

Reminder⚠️

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Davinci Resolve

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

Davinci Resolve

apparently not this guy needs something that is on windows live editor level

Reminder⚠️

11 minutes ago, Kanna said:

apparently not this guy needs something that is on windows live editor level

its pretty easy to learn. maybe the only thing easier is FCPX

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

19 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

its pretty easy to learn. maybe the only thing easier is FCPX

Is lightworks easier than resolve? Haven’t used it since resolve was free 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

On 8/8/2020 at 2:25 PM, Lord Vile said:

Is lightworks easier than resolve? Haven’t used it since resolve was free 

Having tried both(tho not that much experience with either), I would say no. I think Resolve is more intuitive to use/easier to know the basics.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing free beats Resolve. It's got a bit of a learning curve but it's intuitive and all of the 'simple' software has properly annoying limitations (weird stuff like not being able to fade in/fade out audio for instance). Take some time to get to know Resolve, it's so worth it. I was a premiere user since 2004, switched just over a year ago, and never looked back.