gpu pcie x16 vs x8

frozensun

As you can see my graphics card is too close to cpu and it's heating up the CPU a lot.

Would I loose much of performance in fps in games switching/installing card to X8 slot (second one)?

20200805_160300.jpg

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

Not much, maybe none.  What card is it?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Moving it downwards will most likely make no difference as the heat from the gpu will still exhaust near the cpu cooler. Try flipping that macgyver fan other way around so it will push cool air towards gpu and cpu.

39 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Not much, maybe none.  What card is it?

2080 super.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

36 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

Moving it downwards will most likely make no difference as the heat from the gpu will still exhaust near the cpu cooler. Try flipping that macgyver fan other way around so it will push cool air towards gpu and cpu.

u sure?But the card will be few inches lower then cpu socket.

So perhaps some hit and perhaps not a lot of heat change.  On the bright side it’s a cheap easy test.  Try it and monitor temp changes and fps drop.  If it’s worth it it’s worth it if it isn’t it isnt.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Jeppes said:

macgyver fan

what is this?Never heard of such a name.

This fan won't help much since it's blowing hot air from HDD on the right side of the fan...

Even huge case fan 200mm from the side of the case can not cool down this GPU.

8 minutes ago, frozensun said:

what is this?Never heard of such a name.

This fan won't help much since it's blowing hot air from HDD on the right side of the fan...

Even huge case fan 200mm from the side of the case can not cool down this GPU.

There was an old tv show called “MacGuyver” where the protagonist used maker skills to create contraptions to get him out various messes.  “MacGuyver” would be something DIY non standard.  I suspect he is referring to that clear frame fan set at an odd angle in the pic.

The last show I recall anything similar being done in is “breaking bad”. 

HDDs generate very very few watts of heat so the “hot air” being blown is likely only a few degrees above ambient if even that.

Attempting to make suppositions about case fluid dynamics is in general, silly, and the tests  are very simple and reversible.  If you care, try the various options and see what happens. 

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

There was an old tv show called “MacGuyver” where the protagonist used maker skills to create contraptions to get him out various messes.  “MacGuyver” would be something DIY non standard.  I suspect he is referring to that clear frame fan set at an odd angle in the pic.

The last show I recall anything similar being done in is “breaking bad”. 

HDDs generate very very few watts of heat so the “hot air” being blown is likely only a few degrees above ambient if even that.

Attempting to make suppositions about case fluid dynamics is in general, silly, and the test is very simple and reversible.  If you care, try the various options and see what happens. 

Lol.I actually once put huge house fan to blow into the card,and it did nothing...this thing is heating up like crazy.

Luckly I think 6700K goes max at 65 C in games,which I suppose is not a lot for this CPU,since I OC it.

14 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Lol.I actually once put huge house fan to blow into the card,and it did nothing...this thing is heating up like crazy.

Luckly I think 6700K goes max at 65 C in games,which I suppose is not a lot for this CPU,since I OC it.

Basic problem seems to be the GPU is running too hot for your liking.  Considering the unusually low temp of the cpu, this may not be as big a problem as is made out. 

2080S is just a hot card in general.  It wouldn’t surprise me if it was putting out twice the BTUs (or joules or watts or whatever) of the CPU.

The high end cards of whatever period generally push the limits of cooling within the structures of the atx Pcie form factor.  Breaking the form factor is generally the only way to fix it.  Custom water is one of those.  AIO water on GPUs has also become more common.  There have been some interesting videos on putting large CPU air coolers on GPUs as well.  Effectively makes them quintuple thick or more. Moving the gpu and rearranging fans might do something or might not.  It’s hard to know.  

Assuming that fails or is not adequate, and it’s still bugging you, an attempt to MacGuyver a lowest cost solution:

undervolt/overclock of the GPU is annoying to do but it is free.  Could lower heat output of the GPU some.  No idea how much or what kind of effect you would get.

65c under load implies the CPU is cooled more than is needed.  One thought might be to take the CPU cooler and strap it to the GPU (zip ties are traditional) and buy a smaller cheaper cooler for the cpu.  This would be maybe $50 or so, plus any additional memory heat sinks or whatever to make the GPU work properly with a non standard cooler. then there’s the labor.