Samsung Galaxy Unpacked - 5 New Devices Released

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

I mean, there's more to it than that. The Note has better storage, more RAM, better SoC, better autofocus system, the ultrawide is basically the same though Sony does get stabilization for it, Note has better video options, better selfie cam, better USB spec, reverse wireless charging, bigger battery...

I like the design of the Sony in regards to the square sides. Other than that, I'm not a fan especially with the 21:9 design.

I'd like to see a comparison between them but I think it's unlikely to happen; hardly anyone is going to buy the Sony, so reviewers probably won't think of it.

I like how they keep the Zenfone cheap. Last year it had killer spec for the $500 ask. If you're into cameras, might be worth waiting for the next S line. Samsung has been working on a 1" mobile sensor, might make its way into those.

I mean yeah UFS 3.1 though Xperia 1 II has 256GB base which is more notable, on RAM side, really from 8GB+ depends on optimization. On SoC side, where I am It's Exynos one. The laser AF is nice, but yeah ultra-wide has freaking stabilization. On Video I'd need to check more comparisons though, but they're all mostly based on main cam no. Yeah the USB spec, charging and battery size is better on Note though they're marginal, compared to some others out that that blow Note anyway. If Xperia 1 II had those extra features, 120Hz, much faster charging and mmWave I'd buy it. Though as the phone is, lower price would be way more appealing. I guess they're heavily focusing on camera crowd like Note is on pen.

Not sure why everyone dislike 21:9 on phone, yet like on desktop, but on phones some random ration between 16:9 and 21:9 are ok and even with a hole in a display. That will always confuse me. Then again, I'll never buy a phone with a hole :P I'm currently just eyeing what's out there and to come.

Yeah I've heard about new stuff Samsung is planning. Not just that large sensor, also colab with AMD on graphics as well as upcoming ARM Cortex-X1 which will be a huge improvement akin to Apple large cores.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

It's amazing how Samsung still thinks I'm going to fork out all that cash for the Normal Galaxy Note 20

20 hours ago, festow32 said:

It's amazing how Samsung still thinks I'm going to fork out all that cash for the Normal Galaxy Note 20

They're not expecting you to shell out all that cash for the Note 20, they're expecting you to shell out the cash for the Note 20 Ultra.

The Note 20 exists as a way to justify the higher price of the 20 Ultra. They did the same thing last year with the Note 10/10+

With that said, we got our display units in at the T-Mobile store I work at and it's not that bad of a phone. It felt solid in my hands. 

The only issues I have with the Note 20 is the cost and the fact that they dropped it form 256GB in the 10/10+ to 127GB in the 20/20 Ultra.

5 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

I mean yeah UFS 3.1 though Xperia 1 II has 256GB base which is more notable, on RAM side, really from 8GB+ depends on optimization. On SoC side, where I am It's Exynos one. The laser AF is nice, but yeah ultra-wide has freaking stabilization. On Video I'd need to check more comparisons though, but they're all mostly based on main cam no. Yeah the USB spec, charging and battery size is better on Note though they're marginal, compared to some others out that that blow Note anyway. If Xperia 1 II had those extra features, 120Hz, much faster charging and mmWave I'd buy it. Though as the phone is, lower price would be way more appealing. I guess they're heavily focusing on camera crowd like Note is on pen.

Not sure why everyone dislike 21:9 on phone, yet like on desktop, but on phones some random ration between 16:9 and 21:9 are ok and even with a hole in a display. That will always confuse me. Then again, I'll never buy a phone with a hole :P I'm currently just eyeing what's out there and to come.

Yeah I've heard about new stuff Samsung is planning. Not just that large sensor, also colab with AMD on graphics as well as upcoming ARM Cortex-X1 which will be a huge improvement akin to Apple large cores.

Haha, you were saying optimization but you were blasting the Note for having 12GB instead of 16GB ;) Goal posts. Oh gross, I'd definitely try importing one of the SnapDragon ones. 500mah is pretty substantial for battery size. I think the Sony is more focused on being a partner product for their high end cameras; it has a lot of Pro features that most consumers will never make full use of. Which is why I think they think they can get away with the high price tag. 21:9 on a phone makes it unnecessarily tall.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 8/5/2020 at 10:19 AM, SeraphicWings said:

ONE THOUSAND DOLLAR for a 1080p 60Hz screen and, wait for it, PLASTIC phone

plastic

P

L

A

S

T

I

C

Not even Apple can reach this level of dickhead at cost cutting

Give it 6 months. Apple will make it out of environmentally friendly recycled wood or some shit. 

Probably balsa wood. 

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

Haha, you were saying optimization but you were blasting the Note for having 12GB instead of 16GB ;) Goal posts. Oh gross, I'd definitely try importing one of the SnapDragon ones. 500mah is pretty substantial for battery size. I think the Sony is more focused on being a partner product for their high end cameras; it has a lot of Pro features that most consumers will never make full use of. Which is why I think they think they can get away with the high price tag. 21:9 on a phone makes it unnecessarily tall.

Yes, as Note is supposed to be a multi-tasking phablet and featured pinning apps in memory. I'd definitely expect it then.

Any extra battery capacity is good, though let's be real for Note it's still rather average for that size pen or not. There are phones like Asus ROG that has 6000mAh. It's a bit larger only, but oh is that battery difference huge. True that Sony phone offers more camera control and all, though many don't even need flagships anyway if all they need is social media phone and some snappy selfie if that's all they do. But yeah a probably reason for higher price, there's that Pro model too. I think it's not for consumers, maybe Japan. As for 21:9 not sure why everyone say it's tall, aren't all phones tall after they started extending them past 16:9 and increasing size in general too. Xperia 1 II is same height as Note20 Ultra, slightly narrower and thinner. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

33 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yes, as Note is supposed to be a multi-tasking phablet and featured pinning apps in memory. I'd definitely expect it then.

Any extra battery capacity is good, though let's be real for Note it's still rather average for that size pen or not. There are phones like Asus ROG that has 6000mAh. It's a bit larger only, but oh is that battery difference huge. True that Sony phone offers more camera control and all, though many don't even need flagships anyway if all they need is social media phone and some snappy selfie if that's all they do. But yeah a probably reason for higher price, there's that Pro model too. I think it's not for consumers, maybe Japan. As for 21:9 not sure why everyone say it's tall, aren't all phones tall after they started extending them past 16:9 and increasing size in general too. Xperia 1 II is same height as Note20 Ultra, slightly narrower and thinner. 

12GB is still plenty ;)

While true, battery life really depends on optimization more than actual capacity. Take the Note10+ vs the Xperia 1 II for example.

Note10+: 4300mah, 107 hr overall battery life. Xperia 1 II: 4000mah, 83 hr overall battery life.

I was actually shocked at how bad the battery life is on the Sony, especially given the smaller screen. My Galaxy S8 has longer battery life.

The RoG phone is massively larger compared to the Note series. It's entirely in a class of it's own.

It's tall for what you get. Take the difference in screen size:

Spoiler

6,9-inch-d_19x9_-vs-6,5-inch-d_21x9_.png

You're getting a 6.5" in screen on the Sony, while at the same height Samsung crams in a much larger 6.9" screen.

I am a little biased though, I prefer wider phones.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

14 minutes ago, dizmo said:

12GB is still plenty ;)

While true, battery life really depends on optimization more than actual capacity. Take the Note10+ vs the Xperia 1 II for example.

Note10+: 4300mah, 107 hr overall battery life. Xperia 1 II: 4000mah, 83 hr overall battery life.

I was actually shocked at how bad the battery life is on the Sony, especially given the smaller screen. My Galaxy S8 has longer battery life.

The RoG phone is massively larger compared to the Note series. It's entirely in a class of it's own.

It's tall for what you get. Take the difference in screen size:

Reveal hidden contents

6,9-inch-d_19x9_-vs-6,5-inch-d_21x9_.png

You're getting a 6.5" in screen on the Sony, while at the same height Samsung crams in a much larger 6.9" screen.

I am a little biased though, I prefer wider phones.

It is, every phone will have pros and cons, would need to make my own to make it perfect per say. Oh yeah I'd expect Note to last longer, that was the idea with that phablet line. 

But still, all phones I can kill their battery in a day, we really need to type of batteries already. It's pathetic. As for those battery ratings, they ok for just rough view I guess, though I never found them close to actual usage. The actual on screen time use is much lower. I have S6 and battery doesn't last nowhere near those ratings, not degraded. Phones just need a daily recharge. No phone would last me from morning, though afternoon and at night, with occasional general use throughout the day and heavy use at times for a while. 

The smaller screen means nothing though, it's the resolution Sony has on their phone, at least that's one thing.

Can't compare displays like that, Samsung has punchhole, f that, doesn't count as complete display, or measured size of it. Would need to use black bar on top.

4 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

It is, every phone will have pros and cons, would need to make my own to make it perfect per say. Oh yeah I'd expect Note to last longer, that was the idea with that phablet line. 

But still, all phones I can kill their battery in a day, we really need to type of batteries already. It's pathetic. As for those battery ratings, they ok for just rough view I guess, though I never found them close to actual usage. The actual on screen time use is much lower. I have S6 and battery doesn't last nowhere near those ratings, not degraded. Phones just need a daily recharge. No phone would last me from morning, though afternoon and at night, with occasional general use throughout the day and heavy use at times for a while. 

The smaller screen means nothing though, it's the resolution Sony has on their phone, at least that's one thing.

Can't compare displays like that, Samsung has punchhole, f that, doesn't count as complete display, or measured size of it. Would need to use black bar on top.

They're on their way, but it's a slow process. IIRC Samsung has been working on graphene batteries for a while now. I imagine the tricky part is making them at an affordable price, otherwise their phone prices would shoot up pretty drastically on top of the other advancements they have put into them.

The battery ratings aren't meant to match your usage, they're meant to give a baseline between devices. Since they all go through the same tests, the results are comparable; in this case it shows you'll get much more battery life out of a Note, than the Sony. Have you actually tried to match them with their parameters, or were you just playing video on a loop? An S6 battery will have certainly degraded by now. I'd also say you haven't tried a phone with a properly large battery and good battery management; I often got 14 hours of screen on time out of my Zenfone 3 Zoom, and that included a lot of time spent on cellular.

High resolution on a smaller screen makes even less sense. Yes, you absolutely can compare screens like that, that's a direct comparison of size.

You have a problem with the punchhole, I get that. Not everyone does, so no, a black bar isn't necessary.

I think the main thing people don't realize with the price increases is that as they rise, the flagships become more and more true to the name, and the phone you should really be aiming for is the mid tier if you're looking for something affordable. Just like gaming PCs; very few people actually get $3k rigs. Most are in the $1,200ish camp.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

They're on their way, but it's a slow process. IIRC Samsung has been working on graphene batteries for a while now. I imagine the tricky part is making them at an affordable price, otherwise their phone prices would shoot up pretty drastically on top of the other advancements they have put into them.

The battery ratings aren't meant to match your usage, they're meant to give a baseline between devices. Since they all go through the same tests, the results are comparable; in this case it shows you'll get much more battery life out of a Note, than the Sony. Have you actually tried to match them with their parameters, or were you just playing video on a loop? An S6 battery will have certainly degraded by now. I'd also say you haven't tried a phone with a properly large battery and good battery management; I often got 14 hours of screen on time out of my Zenfone 3 Zoom, and that included a lot of time spent on cellular.

High resolution on a smaller screen makes even less sense. Yes, you absolutely can compare screens like that, that's a direct comparison of size.

You have a problem with the punchhole, I get that. Not everyone does, so no, a black bar isn't necessary.

I think the main thing people don't realize with the price increases is that as they rise, the flagships become more and more true to the name, and the phone you should really be aiming for is the mid tier if you're looking for something affordable. Just like gaming PCs; very few people actually get $3k rigs. Most are in the $1,200ish camp.

Yeah I know they're kinda made to make easy compare without doing actual use of each and exactly same on both, then compare. Some phones do better or worse in certain things like video/stream which is interesting. Nah, my S6 still feels the same battery wise though, I didn't get it on release, but awhile after. As for that, I really wonder what usage was that 14h on screen though. Switching through various apps and browsing did tank my battery faster than just watching video for example. 

We can only hope to see new batteries. It's literally the only think that didn't improve. 

That comparison with PCs doesn't really hold up really. Flagship phones are way less meaningful than PC is. Funny thing is, phones got into higher end PC costs, that is completely ridiculous. I keep my phone for longer time, don't change it every other year like some. But buying $1500 PC is a no brainer vs a phone that is same. Most people look phones in 200-300$ range which is a far cry from todays flagship prices. 

On 8/10/2020 at 5:37 PM, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah I know they're kinda made to make easy compare without doing actual use of each and exactly same on both, then compare. Some phones do better or worse in certain things like video/stream which is interesting. Nah, my S6 still feels the same battery wise though, I didn't get it on release, but awhile after. As for that, I really wonder what usage was that 14h on screen though. Switching through various apps and browsing did tank my battery faster than just watching video for example. 

We can only hope to see new batteries. It's literally the only think that didn't improve. 

That comparison with PCs doesn't really hold up really. Flagship phones are way less meaningful than PC is. Funny thing is, phones got into higher end PC costs, that is completely ridiculous. I keep my phone for longer time, don't change it every other year like some. But buying $1500 PC is a no brainer vs a phone that is same. Most people look phones in 200-300$ range which is a far cry from todays flagship prices. 

"Feels" means absolutely nothing. It's definitely degraded. That's just how batteries work.

Mixed, web, GPS, a lot of chat apps, a little video towards the end of the day if I was also playing Hearthstone. It's not too surprising, it's a 5000mah battery on a 5.5" screen with a very low power SD625.

I mean, sure. But they're also not the one's producing the battery. It's not up to them to have new tech ready (Samsung Mobile and Samsung SDI are different divisions).

They're not, though. They might be to you, but I have lots of friends that don't even really need to use a PC anymore, since phones do everything they need.

That's why seeing these high prices is sustainable. People see it as a valuable part of their lives.

I don't think most people are looking for $300 phones. I don't know a single person with a phone that cheap, other than myself, and it's a backup phone.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

"Feels" means absolutely nothing. It's definitely degraded. That's just how batteries work.

Mixed, web, GPS, a lot of chat apps, a little video towards the end of the day if I was also playing Hearthstone. It's not too surprising, it's a 5000mah battery on a 5.5" screen with a very low power SD625.

I mean, sure. But they're also not the one's producing the battery. It's not up to them to have new tech ready (Samsung Mobile and Samsung SDI are different divisions).

They're not, though. They might be to you, but I have lots of friends that don't even really need to use a PC anymore, since phones do everything they need.

That's why seeing these high prices is sustainable. People see it as a valuable part of their lives.

I don't think most people are looking for $300 phones. I don't know a single person with a phone that cheap, other than myself, and it's a backup phone.

Yeah I meant it more like it doesn't feel I'm getting like barely any battery life anymore, like some proclaim. Oh I didn't say they're the same, I know they're separate. Also I know phones are more usable than ever for various tasks, common people that don't do some pro work, game, etc like something you'd do on PC can get by with just a phone. Though let's be real, even then from those people, most don't need flagships really and like you said good mid-rangers got good enough for almost everything they'd need. As for pricing, well yeah, companies know the market very well, they'll get the most out of buyers as they can, tipping the scales more and more. They have a very good profit per unit. I've seen a lot of people that have like flagships and they don't use even half of their power/features though. I always question why they spend so much, one answer is; they don't know better, or feel it's necessary, luxury/status thing? I don't know! I also know power users that really not just for personal use but also work related stuff, other than just chatting and mail. 

I guess depends where you're from and all and your circle of people, how much they're spending on a phone on average. If someone is from first world country like US $1000 phone is pocket change compared to third world place. It's not even comparable. Few of my friends who don't have the cheaper phones, spent like 300-400€ for theirs and they do use it quite often and all. I really can't see them ever spend numerous times more on it. Maybe one or two from many I know, that's it. 
Currently I'm on regular S6 and I got it after release when it got cheaper, was my first more expensive phone (aside original Xperia Z I guess), even with discount, I felt that on my wallet over time. Now I check a top new flagship price and oh wow is it way more than a flagship back then even. Still, I'm looking into one eventually though. I just want to make sure I get one that can tick the most marks and really no compromise at such price tier. Don't mean perfection, but BS like punchhole, no front stereo speakers, useless cams, very average battery, horrible curved display and such. You know, crap that is a design fail, unnecessary compromise and useless added cost. 

Maybe that Sony phone will get cheaper hah though I'll wait to see what's new with Cortex X-1 oh and from Samsung I guess too, since it seems they're actually starting to extend Android updates?! At least an extra year. Even Google fails there. So aside features, the new core is looking to be a much bigger jump in performance and more OS updates. Reason I'm in no rush for now I guess.

Or just get this thingy :D
Microsoft Surface Duo