Best 5700xt driver?

Gohardgrandpa

I’ve been having nothing but issues with drivers and this card. Screen going black on hdmi and DP, tried multiple cables of each. Random crashes that require pushing the power button to turn the pc off. I’ve tried everything I can think of. 

Was wondering what is the best driver for you fellow 5700xt owners? 

If I can’t get this thing to stop crashing randomly I’m selling it for $300 and waiting for rtx 3000 series to buy a new card. 

Ive used a rtx 2070super in this pc and didn’t have a single issue. It’s just annoying because the performance is there at 1440p for this card but the crashes piss me off and they happen at the worst times like mid game. 

I’m currently running 19.12.1 drivers and have DDU installed on the pc so I can download new driver, run DDU then install new driver. 

Maybe I missed something to do hence me asking for help. I’d rather not sell it and wait god knows how long for the new cards to come out but I’ll sell it and play the show on my ps4 pro til the new gen cards drop. I’m at my wits end 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

The best driver would likely be the latest stable driver. Unless AMD pushed an update that's forced everyone to roll back the latest non-BETA driver is your best option.

If you're having this many issues I would try (if you haven't) a clean install on a spare drive and install one benchmark or game that crashes frequently. If it crashes with nothing but the driver and said game/benchmark installed you may have a faulty GPU if putting it in a different PCIe slot doesn't help. This would warrant going the RMA route not asking for a stable driver.

If the card does miraculously start behaving then the problem is likely something else you have running in the background and it's interfering somehow with the AMD driver.

UFDtech recently reported on another report on gpu hardware reliability.  AMD was a bit better than NVIDIA.  

Spoiler

Just saw a thing where a large German reseller released percentages of returns for different models of cards.  The 5700s has half the returns vs 2070s cards percentage wise.  The 2080ti was particularly bad.  The worst 5700xt was the red devil. Something like 7(?) percent. Significantly higher than other brands of that model. With AMD cards people seem to either have unending trouble or they don’t have any.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

30 minutes ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

I’ve been having nothing but issues with drivers and this card. Screen going black on hdmi and DP, tried multiple cables of each. Random crashes that require pushing the power button to turn the pc off. I’ve tried everything I can think of. 

If I can’t get this thing to stop crashing randomly I’m selling it for $300 and waiting for rtx 3000 series to buy a new card. 

Ive used a rtx 2070super in this pc and didn’t have a single issue. It’s just annoying because the performance is there at 1440p for this card but the crashes piss me off and they happen at the worst times like mid game. 

I’m currently running 19.12.1 drivers and have DDU installed on the pc so I can download new driver, run DDU then install new driver. 

Maybe I missed something to do hence me asking for help. I’d rather not sell it and wait god knows how long for the new cards to come out but I’ll sell it and play the show on my ps4 pro til the new gen cards drop. I’m at my wits end 

19.12.1?

Damn, that is pretty far back...they DID address some driver crash / black screen issues in the more recent drivers.

I think I'm 2 or 3 behind ( whatever version that came out in the beginning of June 2020), and it's pretty stable.

One of the newer ones is supposedly better than that...

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

43 minutes ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

Im running 20.4.2 and no issues for mine anymore, i also changed my pcie setting on my mobo to gen 3 instead of auto which stopped random black screens too. seems some people were having the issue with gen4 being buggy with this card

edit: if you are using afterburner as well it can cause issues

Both mine and my wife's Sapphire Pulse 5700xts are on the newest non-beta driver. The only issue I've had since owning the card (November 2019) was bad custom fan control. I always update to the newest stable driver. I've never had black screens or driver issues that caused instability.

Use Radeon software only for OC and fan control etc. Use PCIe gen 3 like @rijzen recommended. If you need monitoring software, don't use afterburner, use HWInfo.

Update your motherboard bios too. Chipset drivers etc.

I’ve updated all MB and chipset drivers, I use hwinfo not afterburner. I’ve done a clean install on a WD blue 500gb nvme drive. I haven’t messed with the pci setting in the bios but will give that a shot tonight when I get home from work. I use Radeon software for fan control, no overclock at all. 
Only thing I have running in the background is discord for party chat in game and I even turned off hardware acceleration in the settings to see if that would help. 

It’s super weird because my temps are all fine, I use a Corsair rmx850 watt psu that’s overkill for my rig, I use 2 different pci plugs off the psu instead of piggybacking it on one plug. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

20.7.2 is stable for me, just make sure you run DDU after uninstalling your old driver, and you should be good.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

I have the pci setting on gen 3 instead of auto and I'm trying the 20.7.2 driver out now @grayperview hopefully this works out good

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

I played DBD last night for about 3 hours without a crash. Hopefully it stays this way

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x