Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Prambler

Buggy internet connection - possibly a Windows problem?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello,

I recently upgraded my PC and put together an AMD 3300X on an ASUS X570-Plus TUF Gaming Mobo with onboard RealTek GbE among other parts.

Since then, I have noticed a weird occurrence with regard to my internet on Windows 10 (Home, 64-bit). Happens more frequently from being "woken up" from sleep mode but also happens on a fresh boot, but when I login, my computer refuses to connect to the internet. After I play around with changing my Network from 'Private' to 'Public' and back to 'Private', it seems to reconnect to the internet. Other times, it only works when I disable and enable the adapter under Windows settings and on the odd occasion, I have ended up having to reboot the PC entirely before it decides to work. During all of this, I am able to continue using the internet on my phone and tablet and my roommate's laptop.

I thought it might be a problem with Windows Firewall and tried to disable it, but it still had the same issue. Can anyone suggest a long term solution please?

Thanks,

Prambler.

Seems like a Problem with windows but I doubt the firewall.  My move would be to simply turn the connection off and on.  Might not work of course.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Posted · Original PosterOP
9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

My move would be to simply turn the connection off and on.  Might not work of course.

I'm sorry but I don't fully comprehend... Do you mean to turn off and on the modem/router?

20 minutes ago, Prambler said:

Other times, it only works when I disable and enable the adapter under Windows settings and on the odd occasion, I have ended up having to reboot the PC entirely before it decides to work.

Sounds like it could be a driver issue. Are you using the default Windows drivers? If so, you could try the ones from the ASUS home page: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/TUF-GAMING-X570-PLUS/HelpDesk_Download/

Remember to quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

9 minutes ago, Prambler said:

I'm sorry but I don't fully comprehend... Do you mean to turn off and on the modem/router?

No. The connection in windows.  Just click the little icon.  but if the router is handily nearby that could be more thorough.  The driver idea sounds better though

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1. Check the driver. Install the most up to date one.
  2. Try a different Ethernet cable.
  3. Try booting a different OS.
  4. The problem might be hardware. Look into a PCIe NIC card to test if the issue may be the onboard NIC itself.

Guides & Tutorials:

How To: Access Remote Systems at Home/Work Securely from Anywhere with Pritunl

How to Format Storage Devices in Windows 10

A How-To: Drive Sharing in Windows 10

VFIO GPU Pass-though w/ Looking Glass KVM on Ubuntu 19.04

A How-To Guide: Building a Rudimentary Disk Enclosure

Three Methods to Resetting a Windows Login Password

A Beginners Guide to Debian CLI Based File Servers

A Beginners Guide to PROXMOX

Guide/Tutorial in Progress:

How To: Remotely Access Your Server/NAS

In the Queue:

How to Use Memtest86 to Diagnose RAM Errors

Don't see what you need? Check the Full List or *PM me, if I haven't made it I'll add it to the list.

*NOTE: I'll only add it to the list if the request is something I know I can do.