Buggy internet connection - possibly a Windows problem?

Prambler

Hello,

I recently upgraded my PC and put together an AMD 3300X on an ASUS X570-Plus TUF Gaming Mobo with onboard RealTek GbE among other parts.

Since then, I have noticed a weird occurrence with regard to my internet on Windows 10 (Home, 64-bit). Happens more frequently from being "woken up" from sleep mode but also happens on a fresh boot, but when I login, my computer refuses to connect to the internet. After I play around with changing my Network from 'Private' to 'Public' and back to 'Private', it seems to reconnect to the internet. Other times, it only works when I disable and enable the adapter under Windows settings and on the odd occasion, I have ended up having to reboot the PC entirely before it decides to work. During all of this, I am able to continue using the internet on my phone and tablet and my roommate's laptop.

I thought it might be a problem with Windows Firewall and tried to disable it, but it still had the same issue. Can anyone suggest a long term solution please?

Thanks,

Prambler.

Seems like a Problem with windows but I doubt the firewall.  My move would be to simply turn the connection off and on.  Might not work of course.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

My move would be to simply turn the connection off and on.  Might not work of course.

I'm sorry but I don't fully comprehend... Do you mean to turn off and on the modem/router?

20 minutes ago, Prambler said:

Other times, it only works when I disable and enable the adapter under Windows settings and on the odd occasion, I have ended up having to reboot the PC entirely before it decides to work.

Sounds like it could be a driver issue. Are you using the default Windows drivers? If so, you could try the ones from the ASUS home page: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/TUF-GAMING-X570-PLUS/HelpDesk_Download/

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

6 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Sounds like it could be a driver issue. Are you using the default Windows drivers? If so, you could try the ones from the ASUS home page: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/TUF-GAMING-X570-PLUS/HelpDesk_Download/

I just had whatever Windows auto-installed during setup. Will try the ASUS drivers. Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Prambler said:

I'm sorry but I don't fully comprehend... Do you mean to turn off and on the modem/router?

No. The connection in windows.  Just click the little icon.  but if the router is handily nearby that could be more thorough.  The driver idea sounds better though

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1. Check the driver. Install the most up to date one.
  2. Try a different Ethernet cable.
  3. Try booting a different OS.
  4. The problem might be hardware. Look into a PCIe NIC card to test if the issue may be the onboard NIC itself.