Sony WH-1000XM4 Headphones Leaked (Now Available)

zeusthemoose

Big thank you to @Pascal... for informing me of this!

Summary

A promo video for the next version of Sony's top of the line noise-cancelling headphones, called the WH-1000XM4, has been leaked. It shows numerous features that will be included (see below). It is expected to be released during a live stream on August 6th. They are estimated to cost $350.

The features listed include:

• HD Noise Cancelling Processor QN1
  • Two Noise Sensors
  • Touch Controls (currently present on the WH-1000XM3)
  • 40mm HD Hybrid Drivers
  • DSEE Extreme real time audio up-scaling
  • Wearing Detection
    • Pauses audio when you are not wearing them
  • Automatically adjusting ambient noise
  • Ability to save sound settings for specific locations
  • Speak-To-Chat
    • Pauses music while you are talking
  • Fast Charging
    • 10 minutes for 5 hours of playback
  • 30 Hour Battery
  • Hands-Free Calling
  • 360 Reality Audio

Update (8/7/20):

Sony officially announced the headphones today. If you are interested in learning about them, here are some reviews and the new tech news post. The consensus seems to be that these are great.

The Verge

Engadget

Wired

Quotes

For instance, the Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones have a wearing detection sensor, which means they will stop playing audio if you remove them from your head. There is also a useful Speak-to-Chat mode where audio is paused if you start talking to someone while wearing the headphones. The audio is paused for a default period of 30 seconds, although this can be altered in the accompanying app. The WH-1000XM4 headphones are fitted with a QN1 processor, Bluetooth audio SoC, 40 mm HD hybrid drivers and they feature touch controls.

The list of features doesn’t stop there though. The Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones have adaptive sound control depending on your activity and location (walking, sitting on a train, etc.) and you can program the device to play your favorite sounds in certain registered places. Hands-free calling is onboard, as is the use of Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa where available. Users can expect to enjoy 360-degree reality audio that is enhanced by the DSEE Extreme engine, which offers real time audio up-scaling based on the music genre or instrument type.

(NotebookCheck)

My thoughts

While I probably wont be getting these, I am excited for them. Many of these features I have never seen on headphones (only earbuds) and I hope they come to lower end headphones in the next few years. I bet UrAvgConsumer will have a video out as soon as these are available.

Sources

Promo Video (Shown Above)

NotebookCheck

Sony Page

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

Myself I’m still waiting for the headline “new fish tank leaks”. They don’t review fish tanks here much unless they’re for mineral oil PCs of course. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I swear to god if this is $400 like the bose... nobody gonna give good reviews. xm3 was praised because it was frequently on sale and was relatively good price. $400 is not give enough value. 

4 minutes ago, Saksham said:

I swear to god if this is $400 like the bose... nobody gonna give good reviews. xm3 was praised because it was frequently on sale and was relatively good price. $400 is not give enough value. 

Just updated to add this (and everything else), but they are expected to be $350. But I bet they will be on sale often.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

i own the OG 1000X and the WH-1000X M3, and i will not buy these. the features that are new, particularly wearing detection are nice upgrades but not worth spending the money for, since it's not a big deal to tap the side twice to pause my music when i reach for it to take it off... 

She/Her

Yeah I talked about them in my latest Status, thanks @zeusthemoose for making a Tech News Post about them. Pricing according to reddit and the numerous Articles I've read leading up to this leak all suggest that they're gonna cost around 325 to 350 USD which would translate into around 349 to 379 CHF for the Swiss Market which is quiet affordable when talking High End Headphones.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

23 minutes ago, Pascal... said:

Yeah I talked about them in my latest Status, thanks @zeusthemoose for making a Tech News Post about them. Pricing according to reddit and the numerous Articles I've read leading up to this leak all suggest that they're gonna cost around 325 to 350 USD which would translate into around 349 to 379 CHF for the Swiss Market which is quiet affordable when talking High End Headphones.

I thought I heard it first in a status update, but I couldn’t find it again. Sorry I didn’t give you credit, I’ll update it now.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

2 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

I thought I heard it first in a status update, but I couldn’t find it again. Sorry I didn’t give you credit, I’ll update it now.

Hmm yeah, thank you. Also if you add me on Discord then I can directly send you Articles in order for you to make Tech News Posts and vice versa. I really also have to start doing them when finding interesting things.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

12 hours ago, Saksham said:

It's gonna be $349, and the WH frequently goes on sale

That said, I bought my M3 for $250, and it's the best money I've spent on a tech gadget, period, and looking at the M4, I feel like I'll miss nothing skipping this generation

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

4 hours ago, Nizkus said:

I wonder if these will work in cold without the touchpad going crazy unlike M3.

Is that still a problem? I heard that it was an issue when the first reviews came out, did Sony never address them?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2020 at 2:54 AM, SeraphicWings said:

It's gonna be $349, and the WH frequently goes on sale

That said, I bought my M3 for $250, and it's the best money I've spent on a tech gadget, period, and looking at the M4, I feel like I'll miss nothing skipping this generation

Yeah, I got a pair of WH-CH500s for about $70 USD. Might change them though, the build quality feels a bit cheap and the sound could be better, but the battery life and range is what I like about it the most.