Help i wanna setup more wifi range in my house

Moonman21

image.png.462fd3b23e340779cfe86b4fd8c889f5.png

https://www.upc.ch/dam/www-upc-ch/business/pdf/Support1/b2b-ConnectBox_Manual_EN.PDF

can i just hookup any other router with wifi capacity and it wont give me any issue when power gous out so that i have to reset the connection?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070, RAM: T force rgb 16gb 3200Mhz, Mobo: Asrock B450M Pro4, Storage: Adata 128Gb SSD and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb HDD 7.2kRPM, PSU: Corsair 750W 80+ bronze,Case: Corsair 280x, Headphones: Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless, Speakers: Bose Companion Speakers

I'm confused. What are you trying to accomplish? Better wifi coverage, Power backup?

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

1 minute ago, Jae Tee said:

I'm confused. What are you trying to accomplish? Better wifi coverage, Power backup?

better wifi coverage.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070, RAM: T force rgb 16gb 3200Mhz, Mobo: Asrock B450M Pro4, Storage: Adata 128Gb SSD and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb HDD 7.2kRPM, PSU: Corsair 750W 80+ bronze,Case: Corsair 280x, Headphones: Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless, Speakers: Bose Companion Speakers

Just now, Moonman21 said:

better wifi coverage.

Around how many square feet of coverage do you need and what modem and router do you have currently, also what is your budget for the upgrade and what country are you shopping from?

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

1 minute ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Around how many square feet of coverage do you need and what modem and router do you have currently, also what is your budget for the upgrade and what country are you shopping from?

um i was planning on putting a hotspot within a bedroom with running a wifi router as i have no signal in my bedroom, as budget as can be, Puerto Rico

3 minutes ago, Moonman21 said:

better wifi coverage.

Many third party routers have the ability to work as a dedicated extender, netgear comes to mind. The trick is to connect the 2 with a cable, from your current router to where you want the coverage to go.

Does this help?

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

Just now, Jae Tee said:

Many third party routers have the ability to work as a dedicated extender, netgear comes to mind. The trick is to connect the 2 with a cable, from your current router to where you want the coverage to go.

Does this help?

yes but ive had some issue with this in the past where if my main router is powered off due to a blackout i have to reset the connection between the two everytime is there anyway to avoid this

11 minutes ago, Moonman21 said:

is there anyway to avoid this

That would depend on the routers software. Usually you should not have to reset it if setup properly.

38 minutes ago, Jae Tee said:

That would depend on the routers software. Usually you should not have to reset it if setup properly.

could you recommend a budget one that shouldnt give me this issue or a brand with a good track record

4 hours ago, Avocheeseado said:

A mesh system could be worth it if you can afford it. 

"Mesh" and "budget" don't go together... Well at least not at the time of writing this.

7 hours ago, Moonman21 said:

yes but ive had some issue with this in the past where if my main router is powered off due to a blackout i have to reset the connection between the two everytime is there anyway to avoid this

You probably didn't configure it properly.

Your primary router does the routing, DHCP, etc. The second unit only needs to run as an access point. Therefore, it only acts as another wireless entry into your home network. The primary router still does NAT/DHCP/etc, but the second unit has to be configured with the correct upstream information to do this properly.

What is your budget?

22 hours ago, Moonman21 said:

um i was planning on putting a hotspot within a bedroom with running a wifi router as i have no signal in my bedroom, as budget as can be, Puerto Rico

Thanks for the additional information @Moonman21, I would recommend a range extender (powerline or repeater) to get coverage in spots where the signal is limited, if you would like a more specific recommendation please include a few links to stores that you would be able to buy from in Puerto Rico?

@Boomwebsearch 

On 7/27/2020 at 1:39 PM, Moonman21 said:

could you recommend a budget one that shouldnt give me this issue or a brand with a good track record

Hey Im Also From Puerto Rico and Live In There Also What I Have Done Is Use Ubiquiti Acces Points Around The House And They Achieve Some Good Range And Just Use Two On My House and i have front and back patio coverage

5 hours ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Thanks for the additional information @Moonman21, I would recommend a range extender (powerline or repeater) to get coverage in spots where the signal is limited, if you would like a more specific recommendation please include a few links to stores that you would be able to buy from in Puerto Rico?

I Dont Recomend in any way wifi Extender We Bought One Two Years Ago And We Discarted Even On The First month Because we have cement walls that are really wide and signal with range extenders is not going to work 

20 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

"Mesh" and "budget" don't go together... Well at least not at the time of writing this.

You probably didn't configure it properly.

Your primary router does the routing, DHCP, etc. The second unit only needs to run as an access point. Therefore, it only acts as another wireless entry into your home network. The primary router still does NAT/DHCP/etc, but the second unit has to be configured with the correct upstream information to do this properly.

What is your budget?

Also we Dont Have Acces to Much Stuff If He Has Liberty wich is What I Have Is Pretty locked down in terms of accesibility and using their own software 

18 hours ago, Lesantir_12 said:

I Dont Recomend in any way wifi Extender We Bought One Two Years Ago And We Discarted Even On The First month Because we have cement walls that are really wide and signal with range extenders is not going to work 

You may just have had a bad experience with a specific model of range extender, do you remember what model and manufacturer of range extender you had? I use a repeater from TP-Link on the 1st floor (main router on the 2nd floor) to get better signal for the Chromecast and phones/tablets, it has been working great for a few years as of now, although your experience may vary on factors such as the distance and placement of the extender from the router, the main router being overloaded, having obstacles, etc. If you have cement walls then you may want to use a powerline range extender instead of a wireless signal repeater.

@Boomwebsearch 

In my experience nothing works better than a mesh network, I've tried better wireless routers but if you cannot move a router into a more central location it does little difference.

Wi-Fi extenders are garbage, hard-line adapters can work for wired connections, but depending on the wiring in your home this can provide less than ideal results. A mesh network is easily the best solution I have used. 

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  A Dive Into Custom Keyboards & Mechanical Switches

NEWCOMERS Remember to ' Reply ' to comments in order for people to see them, this is done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

Blueberry Pi  R9 3950X  Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 4x16GB 3200MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA P2 850W w/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  2x Corsair Force MP510 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower  

Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q 100Hz IPS G-Sync UW  Dell UltraSharp U3419W 60Hz IPS UW  Custom TOFU96  Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB 

Work Rig  ThreadRipper 3970X  Asus Prime TRX40 Pro ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 8x32GB 3200Mhz CL16  Nvidia Quadro RTX 6000 24GB  Corsair HXi 1000W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO  8x Sabrent Rocket 2TB w/ 2x Asus Hyper m.2 V2   Arctic P12 Fans  Phanteks P400A ATX Mid Tower 

Plotting Machine 1  ThreadRipper 2990WX  AsRock X399 Taichi ATX  Kingston HyperX Fury 8x16GB 2666Mhz CL18   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RMx 850W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO ‖ 2x Sabrent Rocket 2TB & 2x Sabrent Rocket 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Arctic P12 Fans  Rosewill RSV-L4500 4U  5x Dell DS60 60-bay JBOD w/ 1.2PB of HDD Storage  HP 22U Half Rack

Plotting Machine 2  R9 3950X  Asus TUF X570-Plus Wi-Fi ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 4x16GB 3200Mhz CL16   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RM 650W  Noctua NH-D15s Chormax ‖ 4x Corsair MP600 Force 1TB W/ Asus Hyper m.2 Gen4  Arctic P14 & P12 Fans  Silverstone FARA R1 ATX Mid Tower

J.A.R.V.I.S.  R9 3900XT  Asus B550-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX 8GB  Corsair SF 750W Platinum  Corsair H100i Pro AIO  Noctua NF-A12x15 Chromax Fans  FormD T1 SFF ITX Case  

LG 75UM8070PUA 4K UHD 120Hz IPS HDR TV  Corsair K63 Cherry MX Red Special Edition Wireless  Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless

Archive Server  R3 2200G  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 White  Vega Integrated Graphics  EVGA P2 750W  Prism Wraith Cooler  ITX Open Bench  2x HP SAS Expander  LSI-SAS9211  220TB of HDD Storage

SFF ITX Home PC  i5-7500  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 SFF ITX Case (Grey)  

Laptop  Dell XPS13 2-in-1 7390 (2020)  i7-1065G7  32GB 3733MHz LPDDR4x  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  UHD+ (3840 x 2400) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Keyboard Collection  GMMK Full Size  TOFU96 90%  ‖ KBD8x MKII TKL ‖ Drop CTRL High Profile TKL ‖ KBD Bella 75% ‖ GMMK Pro 75% ‖ XD84 Pro 75%  KBD67 V2 MKII 65%  KBD67Lite 65%  TOFU65 65%  KBD Blade 60%  Drop Carina 60%  Southpaw75 60% w/ Left Numpad  OLKB Preonic V3 Ortholinear ‖ CosPad XD24  ‖ KBDPad MKII

Key Cap Collection  GMK Boba Fett  GMK Red Samurai  GMK Laser CyberDeck +Novalties  GMK Arch  MaxKey B&W  Drop MT3 Camillo ‖ Matt3o MT3 /dev/tty  KBDfans Biip Torii Ext-2048  ePBT Less But Better +Novalties  EnjoyPBT Dolch  WinMix Mustard  Drop Skylight Horizon & Slate ‖ Glorious Black Aura   

Mechanical Key Switch Collection  Zealios V2 65g  Zealios V2 78g ‖ Zilents V2 67g  Tealios V2 67g  C³ Kiwi ‖ C³ Tangerine  Invyr Holy Panda  Durock T1 67g  Kailh Box Thick Jades ‖ Kailh Box Royal ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Dark Yellow ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Burnt Orange  Kailh Box White  Kailh Box Red  Kailh Pro Purple  Kailh Pro Burgandy  Gateron Ink Black V2  Gateron Black  Gateron Yellow  Gateron Brown  Gateron Green  Gateron Blue ‖ Cherry MX Black ‖ Cherry MX Brown ‖ Cherry MX Red

4 hours ago, Boomwebsearch said:

You may just have had a bad experience with a specific model of range extender, do you remember what model and manufacturer of range extender you had? I use a repeater from TP-Link on the 1st floor (main router on the 2nd floor) to get better signal for the Chromecast and phones/tablets, it has been working great for a few years as of now, although your experience may vary on factors such as the distance and placement of the extender from the router, the main router being overloaded, having obstacles, etc. If you have cement walls then you may want to use a powerline range extender instead of a wireless signal repeater.

I Have Tried Everything and have spend like 200 Bucks on all of them and two of them i couldnt return They In General Suck And they cut your speed at Half if like in my case 150 mgbps up & down and i was getting like 50 and mine was in the hallway and my room is next after that and the signal sucked even in my case that the router was in the other side of that same hallway

1 minute ago, Lesantir_12 said:

I Have Tried Everything and have spend like 200 Bucks on all of them and two of them i couldnt return They In General Suck And they cut your speed at Half if like in my case 150 mgbps up & down and i was getting like 50 and mine was in the hallway and my room is next after that and the signal sucked even in my case that the router was in the other side of that same hallway

50MBPS over WI-Fi should be more than sufficient for most tasks even 4K UHD video playback, the more repeaters you use the slower the connection is going to be, that's why mesh networks are better although may be out of the budget especially if you want to reach a lot of area on a limited budget.

@Boomwebsearch 

yeah but it depends on his needs if he needs the extra for working and or content streaming  50 mgbps per second for 4K UHD Content i dont think so my 4k HDR tv Alone Uses 70 Alone When i Saw The options Of Range Extender I Was Trying Whats Best everytime one failed i inmediately replaced it and my ubiquiti system is all a mesh network i have one in the office den and mine even has lan output ports wich im using to connect to my pc and my brothers and have one downstairs on the media cabinet wich supplies my reciever,tv,apple TV And VR PC Without Any problem and also i can have that all running when i have family and friends over at the house.

Wireless range extenders and repeaters should only be used if all you’re interested in is better wireless coverage. Because of their simultaneous communication with the primary access point and wireless clients, they operate at half-duplex speed, so you will get a drop in speed and increase in latency. This might not matter for smart/IoT devices, but it will matter for things where full bandwidth and low-latency are needed. I generally steer clear of them altogether.

Powerline doesn’t always work for everyone. Opinions are varied because it depends on the quality of electrical wiring in your house and electrical interference from other appliances. If running ethernet cannot be absolutely run, then I’d consider powerline or MoCA a try. But go into it knowing that the entire system is not very reliable.

Lots of people are going towards mesh and it can be considered in large multi-level homes, but it won’t necessarily get around the limitations of WiFi. Mesh just puts more reliance on WiFi not just for AP-to-client connections, but also on point-to-point connection, so obstructions and interference are still a challenge. It also requires a significant up-front investment.

@Moonman21 - If you can run ethernet from the Liberty device to your room where you can place a wireless access point, go with that route. It’s a much simpler setup that is going to be much more reliable than the other options mentioned above. You should be able to convert any consumer wireless router into access point mode; no special setting changes need to be done at the Liberty device if your ISP restricts customizations. My only other recommendation would be to assign it a static internal IP within your current subnet, so that connections can be re-established faster after power loss.

14 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

Wireless range extenders and repeaters should only be used if all you’re interested in is better wireless coverage. Because of their simultaneous communication with the primary access point and wireless clients, they operate at half-duplex speed, so you will get a drop in speed and increase in latency. This might not matter for smart/IoT devices, but it will matter for things where full bandwidth and low-latency are needed. I generally steer clear of them altogether.

Powerline doesn’t always work for everyone. Opinions are varied because it depends on the quality of electrical wiring in your house and electrical interference from other appliances. If running ethernet cannot be absolutely run, then I’d consider powerline or MoCA a try. But go into it knowing that the entire system is not very reliable.

Lots of people are going towards mesh and it can be considered in large multi-level homes, but it won’t necessarily get around the limitations of WiFi. Mesh just puts more reliance on WiFi not just for AP-to-client connections, but also on point-to-point connection, so obstructions and interference are still a challenge. It also requires a significant up-front investment.

@Moonman21 - If you can run ethernet from the Liberty device to your room where you can place a wireless access point, go with that route. It’s a much simpler setup that is going to be much more reliable than the other options mentioned above. You should be able to convert any consumer wireless router into access point mode; no special setting changes need to be done at the Liberty device if your ISP restricts customizations. My only other recommendation would be to assign it a static internal IP within your current subnet, so that connections can be re-established faster after power loss.

Man I Would Like To Tell U That wireless Range Extenders Dont Work Here If U Saw His Earlier and Mine Answers an when he posted it we live in puerto rico we have completely cement walls and every single part of the house including the ceiling wich for low power range extenders they are not going to work thats the end and point of it really here we recomend something powerful but really u can go with anything just dont go for wifi range extender u are going to regret buying it and it really doesnt work in here 

3 hours ago, Lesantir_12 said:

Man I Would Like To Tell U That wireless Range Extenders Dont Work Here If U Saw His Earlier and Mine Answers an when he posted it we live in puerto rico we have completely cement walls and every single part of the house including the ceiling wich for low power range extenders they are not going to work thats the end and point of it really

I understand these challenges as I, too, live in the same region of the world.

3 hours ago, Lesantir_12 said:

... here we recomend something powerful but really u can go with anything just dont go for wifi range extender u are going to regret buying it and it really doesnt work in here

Increasing power output on your wireless radio should be done with consideration to signal distortion and interference with your neighbours' WiFi. Anyway, most consumer grade wireless gear have a maximum allowed power output.

In the case of multiple internal concrete walls posing a challenge to wireless signal propagation, the best solution is usually to add a separate AP to each room and turn down the power output of each, so that there's minimal overlap.