I added Wireless Charging to my TI-84 Plus CE!

Hello everyone! A little while ago, I couldn't find my mini-USB cable which meant I couldn't charge my calculator! Not long after, I discovered little wireless charging receivers which you can add to any device. Curious, I cut the end off of one and discovered that there was simply two power leads that went to the port!

Wireless charging receiver power leads

That gave me an idea! I knew the metal contacts at the bottom of my TI-84 Plus CE are used for classroom charging stations. Since I have never once used a charging station, those contacts are being wasted! We can't have that can we?

A charging stationWhere the charging station contacts are

Therefor, I took out my screw driver, pulled the calculator apart, and soldered the leads of the wireless charging receiver to the charging station contacts. I cut a bit of plastic shell in order to make everything fit, then I closed it up and it charged right off the bat!

Soldering onto the charging station contacts The finished product inside the calculator.

This project is actually quite simple for those who are familiar with soldering. In fact I loved this project so much I did it to both my TI-84 Plus CEs without issue! I even published a tutorial if you want to see exactly how I did it or try it out yourself! https://youtu.be/yj8JJHb1ohc

The calculator charging wirelessly.

It's quite nice not needing to find the uncommon mini-USB cable that comes with your calculator every time you want to charge it. With this mod you can simply throw the calculator on the wireless charger overnight alongside your phone! The calculator just thinks it's in a classroom charging station so it handles all the charging technicalities on its own!

Now I don't need to find grab a mini-B the two times a year I need to charge my calculator!

Seriously though, this is awesome

ASU

Thank you guys, I'm glad you like it! Perhaps we can have a wirelessly powered PC in the future! 😄