Looking for assistance with a new motherboard

Hey so apologies for the nooby question

I have a 3700x and a 2070 super if that's important

I'm looking to change out my motherboard, the one i have has just been causing me issues and has already been RMA-ed etc etc. I'm just looking for a new motherboard.
I was looking at x570 boards then b550 came out and they seem pretty interesting too.

It seems that people like the ASUS ROG Strix B550-E some people say it is quite expensive but i was looking at around $500 (AUD) motherboards anyway. I know there is a cheaper version but that doesn't have front USB-C which is a feature i really want. I was also looking at a MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk as its a decent bit cheaper and seems similarly speced but i've not had great experience with MSI and it has kind of put me off of their boards.

The ROG B550-E also is also in the price range of some (What i think) are pretty good X570 boards like the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite Wifi. So i am just really confused as to what i should get.

- Front type C connector is really important to me

- BIOS flashback is also pretty important as whenever i jump into the bios to do anything, i stress real hard about bricking it.

- Decent power delivery is also something i am looking for. Of course i only have a 3700x so its not like i need anything overkill but i do want to overclock some and more is better in terms of power phases.

I think that's it i guess, stuff like fan and RGB headers i don't really care about as i use a corsair commander and already have an AIO and all that.

Sorry if this is kind of rambily and an annoying post, I am just a little anxious about what to get.

Considering how wonky MSI's firmware is - I would not be okay recommending their boards.

The B550 Strix is definitely expensive but it's also good. If you want a cheaper alternative, the B550 Pro4 is great.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Considering how wonky MSI's firmware is

Pretty sure they're fine at least now for the most part. 

4 minutes ago, JazzToTheTwo said:

Sorry if this is kind of rambily and an annoying post, I am just a little anxious about what to get

Budget? 

For b550. 

B550 tomahawk. 

Mortar and the aorus pro and the strix f are good. 

For x570. The x570-p and the tuf and the tomahawk are also good. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

Pretty sure they're fine at least now for the most part. 

Budget? 

For b550. 

B550 tomahawk. 

Mortar and the aorus pro and the strix f are good. 

For x570. The x570-p and the tuf and the tomahawk are also good. 

Their B550 BIOSes are all sorts of fucked from what I'm reading. As per usual, give MSI a year to figure out how to make a BIOS

Just now, 5x5 said:

Their B550 BIOSes are all sorts of fucked from what I'm reading.

Hm weird. I mean I haven't heard anything that's outright bad about them but I could be wrong. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Hm weird. I mean I haven't heard anything that's outright bad about them but I could be wrong. 

I mean, considering the fact that the OP has had a negative experience with MSI boards, we might as well point him towards other OEMs that aren't known for giving the BIOS work to the janitor.

I personally bought the MAG B550 Tomahawk. It’s got great VRMs and is a very robust board. Haven’t built yet but I haven’t heard much about the firmware

remember bad experiences with a brand in the past doesn’t necessarily translate to another product, and the Tomahawk has been extremely well reviewed by Hardware Unboxed and others

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

Just now, 5x5 said:

negative experience with MSI boards, we might as well point him towards other OEMs

I guess fair enough.. 

Then it would he the aorus pro

Strix f and the x570-p and the tuf. 

Build Log: 

4 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Budget

The strix is 440 aud and the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite is 430 aud so i guess that's the top of my budget.

7 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Mortar and the aorus pro and the strix f are good

I was really looking at the strix F but it doesn't have front usb c. it feels kind of silly to have a case with front usb C but no motherboard. Though the difference in cost is pretty decent... And it feels a little silly paying the difference for the strix E just for front usb C lol.

9 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

For x570

Is it worth spending the extra money for x570? Thats also where i am getting tripped up between high end b550 and med tier x570

Just now, JazzToTheTwo said:

Is it worth spending the extra money for x570

Well these are cheaper x570 boards. Though I don't know how the prices are where you live. 

1 minute ago, JazzToTheTwo said:

was really looking at the strix F

Well the strix E is not worth it imo. 

An aorus pro or a mortar or s tomahawk mag are Decent ( if you still want to go with an msi board. )

Build Log: 

7 minutes ago, JazzToTheTwo said:

The strix is 440 aud and the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite is 430 aud so i guess that's the top of my budget.

I was really looking at the strix F but it doesn't have front usb c. it feels kind of silly to have a case with front usb C but no motherboard. Though the difference in cost is pretty decent... And it feels a little silly paying the difference for the strix E just for front usb C lol.

Is it worth spending the extra money for x570? Thats also where i am getting tripped up between high end b550 and med tier x570

The Aorus board have been very mediocre in my experience. For AM4, Asus and ASRock have the majority of the board sector on lockdown due to the more optimized firmware.

I'd say get an Asus TuF X570 or B550 Strix

3 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

An aorus pro

Would you also recommend an X570 AORUS Elite WiFi? It seems very similar to the PRO and is close to 70 bucks cheaper. Would you also recommend an x570 strix or TuF?

5 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

B550 Strix

How about the X570-F Strix? It is within the same price range as the other boards? It's really not that much more expensive then the TUF

1 minute ago, JazzToTheTwo said:

Would you also recommend an x570 strix or TuF?

The tuf is decent. 

2 minutes ago, JazzToTheTwo said:

X570-F Strix? It is within the same price range as the other boards? It's really not that much more expensive then the TUF

By now much ? The tuf is pretty decent. .

As I said also consider b550 boards. The tomahawk mag is seriously good ( if you are still considering msi)

Build Log: 

23 minutes ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

MAG B550 Tomahawk

Yeah the tomahawk has been in my peripheral vision for a while. Though i was already looking at more expensive boards so i didn't really think about it too much. And i know its a popular board that alot of people like but my current msi board has kind of put me off. I'll keep it in my sights though.

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

By now much

Like less then 50 bucks Australian.

I don't know if its because of Covid or just because im australian but there really doesn't seem to be a huge difference in prices between b550 and x570 which is why ive been kinda on the fence about what to do

Just now, JazzToTheTwo said:

b550 and x570 which is why ive been kinda on the fence about what to do

B550 has the lanes that are connected to the cpu ( so first m.2 and the x16 slot ) as pcie 4. While x570 has dmi 4 all around the board. In terms of vrm Solution. A good b550 board will match a good x570 board. 

Build Log: 

9 minutes ago, JazzToTheTwo said:

Would you also recommend an X570 AORUS Elite WiFi? It seems very similar to the PRO and is close to 70 bucks cheaper. Would you also recommend an x570 strix or TuF?

How about the X570-F Strix? It is within the same price range as the other boards? It's really not that much more expensive then the TUF

It's a bit better if you can afford it

4 minutes ago, JazzToTheTwo said:

Yeah the tomahawk has been in my peripheral vision for a while. Though i was already looking at more expensive boards so i didn't really think about it too much. And i know its a popular board that alot of people like but my current msi board has kind of put me off. I'll keep it in my sights though.

I personally cannot recommend the MSI B550 boards. You're likely to have issues with the firmware.

1 hour ago, JazzToTheTwo said:

my current msi board has kind of put me off

Just curious, which board do you have?

1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

You're likely to have issues with the firmware.

I haven't heard anything about this, do you have one personally?

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1